“Service beyond.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Toronto, Canada
“Service beyond.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I found that the staff in general were very good. Very cordial, responsive and efficient. In particular, Jacques was able to take a bad situation and make it better, making a 3 night stay very enjoyable. We got in late on a Thursday night and although our rooms were available they were not changeable because the Hotel was full. The next morning I spoke to Jacques and he was able to make suitable changes without any of the usual hassles you might expect from a comparable hotel. This Hotel has a garden courtyard with a pool, restaurant patio and a bar which is just a Shangri-La.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is a very nice place and the staff are courteous and helpful. Having the lounge on the property and a nice pool area was a bonus. The only draw back to this hotel is the noise between people staying in the hotel and the train it got a little noisy. The staff in the lounge were fun and very nice. Special thanks to Joxanne, Chantal, Joel and the rest of the staff for making our stay enjoyable. I will be coming back and bringing my friends. See you soon.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator and face pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Emporia, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were moved into three different rooms during our stay. Our toilet didnt work in the first one. The second room floor had bare foot prints while being walked on while they mopped. A film build up on the floor. Third room had no toiletries. ANd they refused to upgrade us to a better room even though the place was 2/3rds empty. Housekeeping used a old wet towel and just skimmed the floors with dirty water. NO THANK YOU. Free breakfast...what a JOKE. One bag of fruit loops and one bag of corn flakes? two bagels. Just a bit of juice and water. THATS IT. It was more than likely re-used for many days. If you don't get a pass from the desk they think you will pay $6 bucks for it? We were there for over a week and never ate breakfast once. Gee wonder why.

We will never go back even if it was free. The pictures are nice....the rooms are not. No thank you. I am surprised we didnt catch something from the lack of sanitary cleaning in each room.

Do yourself a favor and keep looking. What they say they offer, they do not. By the time you show up for your trip...its to late.

Room Tip: Dont rent a room here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Akron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Renee at the front desk was an absolute delight, she was very polite, and helpful. Every request we had she handled immediately. When I told them that the ice machine on our floor was malfunctioning, she made a phone call, and a maintenanceman was working on it within 5 minutes and it was fixed within a 1/2 hour. The hotel was clean and rooms were spacious. The hotel restaraunt's prices were a bit high, but the food was good. The grounds were beautifully landscaped and the multiple water fountains surrounding the pool were very relaxing. The only negative would be that the hotel is located right next to very busy railroad tracks but they didn't seem to lay on the horn, just gave short bursts and it never woke me up. In all I would definately stay here again, we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms very nice and fairly quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Pointe-Calumet, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stay at this hotel for a week, and I really enjoy my stay despite the sound of the trains passing at certain hours. The people in the front desk such as Jacques and Sandra were super friendly and courteous . Even the maintenance guy named Freddy was friendly and helpful when I had a problems with my entrance card. It was regulated in no time. I will certain go back to this hotel when I am in Florida, the price is very reasonable and very close to everything. The hotel is clean and well kept. I will certainly recommended it to my friends if they are going down and looking for a good hotel. Thank you - employees of the Universal Palms hotel, keep up the fantastic and good work.

Linda

Room Tip: Rooms are especially clean and spacious, rooms facing the pool is a beautiful sight to see in the mo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I never write reviews... however, I feel the need to write a review on this hotel so that people such as my self can honestly know what to expect if they come across this hotel and consider staying here. I am usually good with choosing my hotels, but since I was only stating for one night on business I decided to go with something jess expensive. Lord Jesus this was a bad idea. When I pulled up to the hotel I knew it wasn't gonna be good... However, despite the outside appearance, the lobby was nice looking. Get in the elevator and head to your room and things change. The hallways are outdoors, like a motel, and very run down. So run down that on the long walk to my room I actually started to feel unsafe. The room appeared to be nice at first glance but as I looked around, it was nasty. Big stains on the wall, an old box tv sitting on an old wooden dresser (maybe from a flea market) and the carpet was torn up at the edges. I was so disgusted that I called the front desk and asked them to cancel my reservation and refund my money. I grabbed all my stuff and went to the front desk to leave. They then offered me a room right on the first floor , directly in front of the pool. I agreed to look at it. Well I guess those are there "premium" rooms as it was significantly better than the first room; flat screen tv, rule floor and new modern furniture. I agreed to stay but woke up at 8 am, dressed and checked out immediately. Absolute worst hotel experience I have ever had. Also, yes, the very loud train was heard going by often throughout the night. Take my word and pay for a better hotel. I actually consider this a motel.

• Stayed January 2013
Harvey, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We flew in at 6:30am Sunday morning, Jan. 13-13,,, hoping to get an earlier check in, was not able,,,I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, as I run a Motel myself. Staff did the best they could do! Upgraded us to a ground floor room!, as we had a 2yr old with us! Never ate, but the staff was wonderful ! The pool area is AWESOME!!!! Are room, #110 was VERY CLEAN!!!! If I hadn't been going on a cruise,,I would have been THRILLED to stay there for a week!!!! ....The Waffle House next door is GREAT! Thanks to you all for making our stay so memerable!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Universal Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!