“nice experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
são joão del-rei
“nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Universal Palms Hotel is excellent and within our expectations for its category. We were welcomed and treated well all the time (ten days). The price was the best we found. The installations very clean, pleasant and beautiful environment. Good breakfast and good price. Very good bar with music nightly pleasant, professional and sympathetic service. About The location also very good because this near Maimi, downtown Fort Lauderdale and its magnificent beaches. Also this very close to a major center of out lets at great prices. Some people complain about the noise from the street, but nothing unusual for a big city. I would also like to highlight the professionalism and friendliness of the attendant Renee that all the time volunteered to help. We liked the hotel and come back to it on your next vacation in Florida.

Room Tip: My wife and I occupy the room 303, in the building across the av Comercial. I think the rooms facing...

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the BCS national championship game. If you like wash cloths and hand towels, do not stay here. We only had 1 wash cloth the first day for 3 people in the room and none after that for our 4 night stay. They might as well not say they have breakfast. It's 2 kinds of cereal and bread. The front staff is very rude. The gentleman was rude as I went to the front to get a breakfast voucher so much so that the people behind me were commenting to me about it. Had big problems checking in and checking out. Took a long time and they had a wrong name attached to my reservation when I made the reservation straight through them...I don't know how? No one at the front desk spoke English as a first language so communication was difficult. I would not recommend staying here even though the price was the only good point about it.

• Stayed January 2013
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This property is poorly located right next to a very busy train line with the loud horns of commuter and freight trains running down the tracks breaking your sleep and overall peace and quiet.

Although the hotel was renovated apparently in 2011, the amenities are very basic and some things did not work, such as the in-room safe, the WI FI and the TV with "premium channels" which only carries about 20 channels in all, four of which are in French and 2 or 3 in Spanish. As for the free drinks noted by others given to guests as they check in, we were never offered this. I was also disappointed to find out that our reservation did not include a buffet breakfast as I thought it did. When I saw the "buffet breakfast" for $6, which offers coffee, cereal of some kind, and some sliced white bread, I wasn't impressed at all. We proceeded to eat our meals off site.

After the first night, we put the “clean room” sign on our door handle. Due to the wind, the sign was no longer on our door. When we came back to our room it was not cleaned. My husband went to ask the front desk if it would be possible to have someone empty our garbage and get new towels. The front desk clerk wasn’t very helpful, telling him the cleaning staff had left for the day and if he wanted to empty the garbage, he could bring the bags to the dumpster at the back of the hotel.

Although the pool area was nice, the staff is mostly bilingual (French and English) and Joel at the front desk was VERY nice and helpful (he answered my emails pre-trip, and changed our room when the WI FI in our room didn’t work),

I always book my hotel reservations online. This is the first time I have been sooo disappointed with the overall stay. I cannot recommend this hotel to others, in large part to the CONSTANT train traffic, day and night. It felt like we were stuck in the movie “My cousin Vinny”.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, choose a room facing the pool. Any "city view" rooms back s...
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Checked in on line for 2 nights (saved 20 percent). Prices are as advertised. Room was clean, un remarkable. No microwave or fridge, but we did not expect them nor need them. The pool is heated -from what I could tell 85 - 90 degrees F. the pool area is very nice with concrete statues, palm trees, gazebos, and paving stone walks. the staff was very helpful even finding me a sewing kit to repair a suitcase that was handled rather roughly by the airline. we had a pool view - this cost few dollars extra but we were not bothered by train noise that others complained about.
the restaurant on site is the Venetian Restaurant, Italian Cuisine, the food is very good to excellent, we had the maghrita pizza and drinks one night and bruschetta, pasta via joule, chicken parmagane. Of note they do not skimp on the garlic or balsamic vinegar.

Room Tip: From other comments - I would recommend a room with a pool view. we did hear train noise occasional...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I made the mistake by booking through Jet Blue at the end of an airline reservation. I thought for one night how bad could it be. It was horrible. On a busy intersection with the back up against the railroad tracks. This was the definition of "seedy motel". The only thing missing were drug addicts and prostitutes, but I am sure they were there. Dirty hallways. Stains on the floors. The bed was as bad as I ever sat on. Paper thin walls. Just as bad as it gets. In all fairness, the room did appear clean and the internet worked( i used it to find another hotel). Don't be fooled by the name or price. Bad news.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Lac-Simon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel is good, but the train is very disapointed!!
The train at 3h am is very unpleasant and noisy.
The location is good, mcdo and PFK is not to far, but the train again and again!
For the pepole speak french, is good a lot of Qc pepole!
I not recomended thi hotel because the train is very noisy and maybe 10 times a days!!!

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Upon our arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the front office supervisor Joel, who provided us with an excellent service. This hotel has had some major renovations and the look inside is quite nice.The room we had reserved was quite nice and very clean. We had supper at the bar/restaurant a few times we were served by Sandra and also by Jesse, the service and food were quite good. The main restaurant is very nice, the food is good, but a little pricey. The bar personnel forgot to turn off the music on our first night so it played all night and directly outside our room there was a water fountain which also runs all the time. I talked Joel the next morning and he said that he had spoken to the staff about the music and that it wouldn't happen again but that nothing could be done about the fountain. We asked to change rooms to be further away from the fountains and Joel happily upgraded us to a suite (which was excellant)and the fountain problem was solved. The only thing is that the suite which has a small kitchen does not have a stove, only a small fridge and microwave. I think that adding at least a stove top and some dishes and utensils would be a good thing.The one inconvience for us was the train which passes frequently day and night but after the second day we didn't even notice it anymore. As for the location it is not necessarily the best but we had a nice stay so that is what counts. It's a great hotel for travellers who speak french as the hotel is owned by French Canadians and most of the staff are prefectly bilingual. All in all we would recommend this hotel.
Brenda Lee & Pierre

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Universal Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!