“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Michigan
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Fort Lauderdale every January for the past ten years. I was a guest before, and I have been a guest after, the renovation. I like this hotel. I have always received good service. My room was nicely appointed, attractive and clean. A breakfast and Manager's reception is offered each day. The restaurant has been renovated since my last stay and it is much nicer than the previous restaurant.

Having said all of that, there are a few issues with this hotel. I don't understand why this hotel insists on making guests pay for parking and internet use; particularly when hotels with much more reasonable rates offer free parking and free internet.

I had room service bring a meal to my room one night. Room service adds a $3.00 room service charge, taxes, and a 22 percent gratuity. A salad and two beers cost $34.00! I thought that this cost was a little steep.

The elevators in this hotel are insufficient to handle the amount of traffic at peak times of the day. On the weekends, the wait for an elevator may be as long as five or six minutes, and once it arrives, it will likely be full, requiring guests to wait for the next elevator. I resorted to using the stairs to and from my seventh floor room. To be fair, one of the elevators was out of service, but it was out of services for the entire five days I was at the hotel. The hotel stated that the elevators are in the process of being renovated to improve their operation and service.

I happened to be staying at the hotel during this year's cold snap, when nightime temperatures were approaching freezing. The hotel was cold. It wasn't unbearably cold, but it was uncomfortably cold. Despite the room thermastat being able to be adjusted up to 80 degrees, the actual temperature in my room was between 60 and 65 degrees, and the atrium was even colder. That was an unusual situation that was not uncommon in many other commercial buildings in south Florida during this period, but it was unexpected.

Music is played in the atrium at all times. I really don't know why, but it becomes annoying after a while. Luckily, it was not discernable from the bedroom of the suite.

Finally, and this is a minor point, they no longer offer biscuits and gravey at breakfast.

I will continue to stay at this hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Stayed overnight in first week of Jan 2010. I usually love Embassy Suites but I do not recommend this one.

From the cussing swearing complaining older female at Concierge to the ill-mannered bell-boy pushing in front of guests in an elevator, to the outdated room decor and the wake up at 8am by cleaning lady banging on the door to ask what time we were checking out (3pm woman!) and finally to the very badly located and disorganised general dining area at breakfast, I found this Embassy Suites to be crazy!

The actual hotel room was standard ES large suite. Incredibly loud noise from banging door from room next door. Our wing elevator was broken. Long waiting times or run across to another lift. Typical Embassy Suites lay-out with 4 sided tower and garden subsection at the bottom middle.

Alex at the front desk was fantastic. His colleagues were revolting.

Tip - if you need to acquire food, run across behind the Hotel to Publix. It's like a Giant/Safeway. Cheap and fast.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Spent 4 nights prior to a Cruise over New Year.
Rooms were clean and comfortable although maybe a little dated.
We ate in E Spot on New Years Eve which was excellent and our daughter was well looked after by the staff also.
The Managers reception was good and we also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast which was to a high standard.
Would stay here again pre cuise.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We stayed here two nights at Christmas, pre-cruise. It's easy to find from I-95 and a pretty hotel when you drive up. We used valet parking ($16/day) instead of self parking ($13/day), but in the future would only self-park since there are ample spaces close to the building.

Check-in was a breeze and the bellman was great. Elevators were so-so (being upgraded). Room was decent, king on the 11th floor. It was clean, but smelled like they had sprayed freshener to cover up cigarette smoke. Liked the location of the bathroom. Decent amenities.

Breakfast was good, managers reception just so-so (goldfish crackers in a paper bowl and cheap wine in a plastic cup), room service delivery and food was good but the person who took our order was surly, Christmas buffet in E-spot was decent (ran out of some items that were not replenished).

We enjoyed the pool area, feeding the carp cheerios, and the general location of the hotel. Lots of restaurants within walking distance (ate at Outback next door). Near the beach which is easy to drive to. 3 minutes from the pier if you are driving to a cruise. You can park at the hotel for $5/day instead of $13/day at the pier, but we chose not to.

Overall, it's a nice hotel. It wasn't luxurious or anything like that, but it was definitely on par with other Embassy Suites we've stayed in many other states. We interacted with the GM prior to the visit and he was personable and responsive as well. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Upper Dublin, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We go to Fort Lauderdale almost every year and thought that I would give this hotel a try since my kids are getting older and the 2nd room sounded appealing. The room was just ok and felt a bit run down. Several of the lamps and lights didn't work, there were stains on the carpeting and the bathroom was out of date. Also on a minor note, they really cheaped out on the toiletries. My wife had to call me in to try to open the shampoo bottle and I struggled with it for a few minutes to get it open. Also, the room facing the atrium was quite noisy, especially early in the morning.

The breakfast was only fair and I would not describe it as "cooked to order" as they describe it. They did make a nice omelet but everything else was buffet and the pancakes and french toast sticks looked cold and rubbery. It would also be nice if they served it a little later than 8:30 as we could have used the sleep.

Also, if you need to cancel your reservation, make sure to call before 4 pm the 2nd day prior or you are out of luck. We had a change of plans and wanted to cancel our reservation to be with my family so I called the hotel at 6:40 pm the 2nd day prior to our stay and were told that their policy was 4 pm and they would not make any exceptions (even though the hotel was not sold out). I told their representative that I was surprised since I recently had to revise a reservation at the Hilton in Naples, FL (a lovely hotel btw) and their deadline was midnight. I told the agent that I would change my plans and keep the reservation as I didn't want to pay a penalty of around $230, but also told him that I was extremely disappointed and would probably never stay at an Embassy Suites again. His response was "Is there anything else I can do for you sir and then went on to ask me if I was interested in any special promotions that their parent company was running. I guess he wasn't listening to what I was saying. Also I emailed Embassy Suites regarding this and have not yet received a response or even an acknowledgment.

Also, $10 a day for internet (especially after spending 5 prior nights in 2 other hotels where it was provided for free) seemed like a rip-off as well as $13 a day for self parking at hotel that was not particularly close to the beach and was surrounded by shopping centers.

The only positive note was the pool, which was very nice. It's a good thing since the hotel is not convenient for going to the beach.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Very beautiful Hotel, stayed there the night before our cruise on "Oasis Of the Seas" It pretty much looked like the ship excellent hotel, in the evening they serve free drinks (mixed and beer) from 5:30 to 7:30. Then the next morning a wonderful free breakfast buffet and it was really well stocked with about anything you wanted to eat, would stay again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

We have stayed with this hotel twice previously and really enjoyed our stay. This time it was a stay from hell. We faced the pool side of the hotel which we thought would be great and away from the traffic noise on 17th, however there is an Irish pub which was so loud that continued into the wee hours of the morning we had a difficult time sleeping. Our daughter slept in the fold out bed in the living area and she found a cigarette burn in the bedding! The bathroom was also in rough shape. Shop around as you can find better accommodation for similar price in the pier area... We will NEVER stay here again! I tried leaving my comments on the survey channel, however it too was out of order :-(

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!