“Service is Slipping” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 134 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Michigan
“Service is Slipping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visit this hotel every January. In the past I have been pleased with almost every aspect of this hotel. The grounds, building and rooms are nice. The staff that cleans the rooms does an excellant job. I wish that I could say the same about the rest of the staff. While I haven't experienced a problem with the staff before, on my most recent stay this week, the service ranged from nonchalant to terrible.

The front desk staff often would be engaged in conversations that had nothing to do with their jobs, while guests waited for assistance. When we arrived at approximately 1:00 p.m., we were told that no rooms were available yet but that our room would be ready by 3:00. They took my cell phone number and told us that they would call us when the room was ready. We returned at 4:45, without having received a telephone call to discover that our room was ready. If they say that they will contact you, they should contact you.

The people preparing food at the breakfast were curt and uncaring, often getting omlette orders incorrect.

The wait staff at the E-Spot during lunch were incredibly slow and unresponsive. I had ninety minutes for lunch at 1:00 between meetings. The restaurant had guests at about four or five tables. There appeared to be one person working the entire restaurant. He was slow in taking our order of two items, and then it took fifty minutes for the orders to arrive at our table. I had to go inside and find him to see if he had forgotten about us. This caused me to rush through my meal so as to not be late to my meeting. This hotel needs to either talk to their existing staff about customer service, or find a new staff.

One other item needs to be addressed. For some reason, the internet service, for which this Embassy Suites charges $9.95 per day, was not working properly on January 13th. The hotel needs a better, more reliable internet service. Guests, and particularly those of us there on business, need reliable internet service.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel are subjected to vehicle noise on 17th, as well as bright lights...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Red Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We moved over to this hotel from the Ramada. It has a great location, close to the airport, the cruise departures and downtown. There is also a mini mall just down the street. The rooms are huge with 2 tv's, a living room, extra sinks, nice furniture. I am really impressed as are the people that came over with us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Expensive, but we love the pool area. We stay here often for our Hilton Honor points. When we moved the couch over to fit the roll-away, we found it needed swept about a month earlier. Housekeeping did come to the room with a sweeper to clean it up. We LOVE the pool area as do the kids. It's a great start to a cruise. We've stayed here before three cruises now, and have been satisfied. Just remember its always very busy because of the many cruise travelers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ucluelet, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I work in a High end resort, so I know that it is not fair to compare. I have stayed in two other Embassy suites, besides this one. As I travel with family, it is nice to have the bedroom separate from the main livingroom. One of the draw backs is that the bathroom is located in the bedroom, so others must come into the bedroom to get there. But you get over it as you are traveling with family. THe rooms have a small fridge and microwave oven. Keep in mind, you are on vacation, so in most cases you are in the rooms just to sleep. Maintenance issues, should be brought to the attention of the front desk. Maintenance can not fix what they do not know is broken. Although, there were a few things like the handle for the bathroom, had not been repaired properly. There were problems with some electrical sockets not working. Like the plug in the bathroom for the razor. I had to use a plug out at the other sink. That is another bonus, there are two sinks, so if someone is in the bathroom, another person can still brush their teeth or wash their hands. THe breakfast in the morning, is nice. There is the option for both hot items and cold. The attendents keep things well stocked and tables are cleared quickly. I travel with an older person who uses a cane and one of the supervisors was quick to offer to help carry the tray to an empty table. We were overnighters joining a cruise. This location offers for a fare fee, transportation to the cruise terminal. This is nice as you dont have to worry about hiring a taxi. The on site restaurant on the night we were there offered both a Buffet style dinner or order off a menu. We chose to order off the menu. The food was nice and reasonably priced. We had arrived a day before our cruise, so we went on a tour to the everglades. One thing that could be improved on, Guests often order room service and they put out their used dishes. At our place, it is understood that any staff person noticing a dirty tray. To pick them up and take them to the kitchen. Walking around the hotel and seeing dishes from the previous night does not look very nice. Dispite the little, what I call whoopses, it is still a nice place to stay. I have stayed at places that are a lot worse and will never go back too. If I go out on a cruise via Fort Lauderdale. Embassy suites will get my call again. Please keep in mind that many cruise persons use this hotel. So it does get very congested in the lobby from about 10:30 AM onward.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, you may want to request a higher floor. The noise from the bar and rest...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
hotelmanager1100, General Manager at Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our two-room suites and many other guests find it just as convenient. I'm disappointed to hear about some of the cleanliness missteps and electrical malfunctions you encountered. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams are working to resolve these issues and prevent similar instances from occurring in the future. We hope you will think of us the next time you take a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Again thank you for staying with us and look forward to hosting you again.

Argo, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We booked a NON-SMOKING room. When we walked in the smoke smell about knocked us out. The ashtray on the table was a dead give away that this hotel had absolutely no consideration for anyone. They were also booked to capacity by late comers for the BCS bowl game, however, our reservations were made well in advance. The smoke kept us up, creating nausea, headache and everything we brought into the room reeked of cigarettes when we left. We could still smell it after time in Orlando and a flight back home! Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas where we haven’t met our guests’ expectations. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to extenuating circumstances. I'm terribly sorry that the smell was an issue and invite you to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience in further detail. I can be reached at Don.Friedman@hilton.com. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here in Dec 2012. This was my second stay at this property and the first stay for the other parties in my group. I'd forgotten about the horrible room design...the bathroom is only accessible from the bedroom which means, those in the living room on the sofa sleeper must enter the bedroom to access the bathroom. A new thing learned on this visit is that the hotel does not have any heat. Yes, you read that correctly. One of my parties called to ask why she couldn't get the heat to come on and was told that because it is hot the majority of the time in Fort Lauderdale, the hotel does not have heating capability. They offered to (and did) bring up space heaters. When the space heaters arrived, we had to be instructed where we could and could not plug them in. Are you kidding me??? Since when does the fire marshall approve space heaters in a high rise building with potentially irresponsible guests? Scary to say the least.

The hotel is in a good location with shopping experiences on the other three corners of the intersection it braces. It would be great if the Embassy would work with the Shuttle company that picks up/drops off at Publix to make a stop at the hotel. Aparrently, that used to be the case then stopped due to an accident. There were many guests who had to make that long walk to/from Publix...a real issue for the elderly and disabled population (one in my group and three other guests I witnessed having gait issues and having to stop and rest in making the walk).

I needed a ride to a nearby ATM and asked the hotel shuttle driver who said he would take me for $20 roundtrip. I walked to Chase Bank who advised this ATM in question was 1.1 miles away, was the closest WF in the area, and $20 was way more than what a taxi would cost. Later, I spoke to the concierge and she arranged the ride with a different shuttle driver (guess the first one had gone home) for $10 roundtrip. Super!!! However the antics of the first shuttle driver did make me feel like I was not a valued guest and that he was trying to use me.

We enjoyed our lunch meal at the restaurant. I did not eat breakfast this time or on my first stay at this hotel. However, the other parties in my group enjoyed the breakfast immensely. Also the hotel is very clean...kudos to housekeeping.

Overall, I rate this hotel as a 5 out of 10...in relation to other Embassy's, good but nothing spectacular. Having said that, I would stay here again due to its cleanliness and proximity to shopping experiences and shuttle. However, I would NOT stay here at a time of year that I would need heat as the space heaters did not sit well with me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
I appreciate your honest feedback and loyalty to us. We value all of our guests' opinions and safety and security is always a top concern. I'm reviewing your comments about the space heaters with additional members of our team. We always want you to feel comfortable and secure and we will ensure we're making every effort to do so. I'm also sharing your experience with our front desk regarding the shuttle experience so we can note that for future guests. We do have set rates for distances that the transportation company travels to. I will review those with them and make sure each driver is quoting the correct fare. I am glad overall that you enjoyed your stay and will be back.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for one pre-cruise night in December. As expected our room was not ready - this is not uncommon on a Saturday as the weekends are very busy with cruisers. We were grateful to a special valet who put our luggage in an unused room - I hesitate to mention his name for fear of getting him in trouble - believe me when I tell you these guys are great.

We had lunch at the E-Spot. While the service was great I think $16 is a lot for a burger - even at a hotel. It was just OK. My husband enjoyed a bowl of seafood chowder.

We got our room about 2:45 - not bad. We took the easy walk to Total Wine and Publix before settling in.

The 2-room suite is a very good size but I have 2 complaints. One is the sitting room portion is extremely dark and depressing. Secondly, the room smelled like Febreeze! And yes, I'm a smoker so understand why they use it - but we could actually see it! It had not been vacuumed up totally. The bedroom portion was very nice and bright and we opened the sliding glass door (to the Juliet balcony) to relieve ourselves from the Febreeze.

The public spaces in this hotel are really beautiful and the Christmas decorations were lovely. They did a nice job in this regard.

We went to the Manager's Reception for drinks and that was quite nice. We took ours outside and sat near the pool. It is a gorgeous space.

The breakfast included is really terrific. Everything from grits to cooked to order omelettes. They do a very nice job with this and no one should walk away hungry. The coffee was also good and plentiful.

The pool area is beautiful and we enjoyed watching the koi in the ponds. Unfortunately, we did not have time to swim but it sure looked inviting!

We had planned to take a cab to the port but ended up taking a shuttle with Walter. He promised we would be the only ones onboard and we were. $7 pp plus tip and we were there in minutes. Painless.

Here's my tip for the Embassy - leave before 10 AM so that you can get a valet and an elevator. After 10 everyone wants to go at the same time!

I would definitely stay here again but wish the hotel could do some updating in the rooms - the brown carpet and mustard walls need to go!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will have a view of the port.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!