“Just don't...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Portland, Oregon
“Just don't...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

It's one of the old style courtyards in a bad neighborhood with a $10 buffet breakfast. There's a note in the room that says they'll be "under construction for remodel for the next several weeks" dated August 24th. Now, 4 and a half months later, it's not remodeled at all and is a very dated property. The staff is very nice but it doesn't make up for the property.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardFTLEast, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Boywhocouldfly21,
Thank you for your review! I am sorry your impression of our hotel was not a positive one. In deed our renovation has taken quite a bit longer than originally anticipated due to the complex nature of the project and some unexpected bumps on the road. The hotel is undergoing a full property improvement plan that includes not only updating the room décor, but completely replacing the bathrooms, installing lavish showers and walk-in closets, and a full hallway makeover with bright white doors and enhanced lighting for a truly refreshing experience. In addition, our entire lobby and meeting space will be transformed! The challenge is to do all this work while minimizing the impact it has on our in-house guests! Thanks to your feedback, we have revised the renovation notice in the rooms to better reflect our current timeline.
We are excited to share that our 5th floor has been completed and the feedback from our guests has been outstanding! Slowly but surely we are making our Courtyard a gem in Fort Lauderdale’s eastside. I truly hope that during your next visit to Fort Lauderdale you have a chance to stop by to see the latest improvements and get a warm smile for our lovely staff!
Kindest regards,
Rob Lewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here Christmas week. I had stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times over the past ten years. Quality of service has gone downhill. On this particular trip, there was a television guide on the desk when I checked in. It listed about 35 channels. Fewer than half came in, so I called down to reception to inquire if there was a problem with the cable. The front desk agent said, "No- none that I know of, I will send houseman up to your room." It was late- houseman came, did not even look at TV and said all the TVs in the hotel are this way, there was nothing he could do. I called back to reception as I had a multiple night reservation and asked if it could be fixed the next day while I was at work. "No problem" I am told. I returned to the room the next evening and the problem had not been fixed. The same desk agent that I spoke to the previous night was on duty, but another lady was working with her now. I mentioned the TV and how it had not been fixed. Now- the story is "We are in the process of switching from Direct TV to cable. These are the only channels that will work." I was given a new channel listing which was correct. I was annoyed because I was lied to the previous night when told there were no problems with the cable. In the desk agent's defense-- if she was truly unaware of the problem, she did assure me that it would be fixed the next day. It would have been nice if someone would have just picked up the phone and left me a voicemail stating what problem was going on. I mentioned this at check out and the agent shrugged her shoulders.
On a side note-- my room was clean, soundproof, I had a good nights sleep and the renovations were not disruptive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Long Valley, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

After 8 days in the Keys we came back up to
Ft. Lauderdale before catching a flight back ! north. We selected the Courtyard East and
was glad we did! The room was nice overlooking the pool.

After inquiring about dinner location recommendations, the front desk mentioned
That traffic and parking on Saturday night at
the beach was problematic and suggested that their van could take us to dinner and we
could call when we needed a ride back. We'll stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is undergoing a major renovation project at this time. The top 2 floors of the hotel are closed and construction was underway, but was only minimally disruptive. The renovation is way behind schedule as it was supposed to be complete by December 31, but I would estimate they are less than 25% done. When I stayed here last year at this time, the renovations were supposed to start shortly after. The bathroom sink smelled musty, but I would hope the renovations to fix that problem. The rooms have very small refrigerators and no microwaves, surprising for a Courtyard. One nice side effect of the delayed work is that the full Courtyard Cafe is still in operation, it will unfortunately be replaced by the "Bistro" when work is complete. Possibly due to the construction (which the Marriott web site warned of) the hotel was not that busy, and I was able to get a room right by the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room pool side (odd numbered rooms 101 to 111). These rooms have patios with a small table...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have stayed at Courtyards, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn's all over the country and this was one of the worst, by far. The hotel is old and musty right out of the 1980s. While the rooms looked somewhat clean there was a disgusting moldy/musty smell throughout. The carpets, furniture, and elevator made me nauseous, along with the overall feel of the place. I don't know how Marriott let them use their name, but it makes me think twice about staying at one of their other hotels. As of right now, I wouldn't let my mother-in-law sleep in this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

My gf and I just returned home to Montreal,Canada after staying 5 nights (August 22-26,2012),at The Courtyard. Staff was extremely helpful,especially with the mysterious clogging toilet lol! They cleared it 3 times,and after each phone call,there were up to the room within minutes! Pool and whirlpool were both great,location perfect,Denny's across the street,Dunkin Donuts,Starbucks,within a few minutes walk down the other street. Breakfast at the hotel was amazing,chefs were very friendly!The hotel is currently being renovated on the 4th and 5th floors,but only during the daytime will you hear the construction noise. We had a car rental,so leaving for the beach and even to Miami,we seemed to be perfectly located! Again,a very big and appreciative thank you to all the staff and management at The Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale! Thanks for making my 4 year anniversary holiday with my gf a fun one!Hope to return soon!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel has a good feel to it but we were still disappointed. We expect more than this from a Courtyard by Marriott. Only stay here if you get a good price.

The room seemed clean but the towels had foul dirty spots on them. Sounds from the corridor outside the room could easily be heard and the noise from the ice machine was annoying.

The price during our stay was about $ 110 per night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East? Share your experiences!