“OMG, I Lost My Passport!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port

You added Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 South Federal Hwy, U.S. 1 and 17th Street Causeway, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“OMG, I Lost My Passport!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great staff, keep up the outstanding job... from Nicky, Tito to the night auditor and all the front desk staff thanks so much for helping me when I lost my passport! A special thanks to Ellen Serra who was so friendly and helpful in my hour of need! Dave

Room Tip: A clock in the Lobby would be nice and a Scale in the fitness center would be great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hi Dave - it really was a pleasure meeting you and I'm so happy we were able to help find your passport. The entire staff thanks you for your kind comments. Be sure to tell all your friends in the DR to stay here when they come up to Fort Lauderdale. Please come back to visit soon. Contact me, personally, to make your next reservation.
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here both pre and post cruise (Jan. 18 & 27) Our pre-cruise experience was wonderful and Jessica is certainly an asset to this hotel... she goes above & beyond to be helpful!! That being said, it was all down-hill on the return...

After disembarking our ship at 7:00 am, taking a taxi to the hotel, waiting to check into our room, it had been a very long day. When we were able to check into our room, we just wanted to totally unwind. We went to sit out by the pool for relaxation. After ordering a pizza in our room later, we proceeded to get ready for bed... I thought a nice, hot bath was in order so I prepared my bath, only to find out that the water was yellow!! I thought perhaps there might be some rust in the pipes, so I ran another tub full of water... but with the same result. I called down to the desk and the employee, Tito, said "oh, okay I'll report it to Maintenance"... after trying one more time to fill the tub with water with the same results, I phoned the desk once more and Tito said "I already have a report filled out for Maintenance". There was never an apology or the offer of another room.
I then asked for a wake-up call for 6:00 a.m.... that never happened either! I thought perhaps I could talk to the manager in the morning before we left on the 7:00 a.m. shuttle to the airport, but we were running late because of no wake-up call.
When I returned home I called the hotel to get the manager's name and asked to speak to her. She was not there at the time. I proceeded to leave 3 messages on different days and never had a return call. Finally, the next time I called, I was able to speak to her. Her response was "well, they've been doing some pipeline work nearby, so that's probably why the water is yellow." And then she said "you probably wouldn't have noticed it if you took a shower." Say what...?? Why didn't someone tell me there was an issue with the water when I checked in and then I would have made the decision if I wanted to stay there.
I am also a Choice Privileges member and that information was given to them at the time my reservation was booked, but lo & behold, for some reason, that information never showed up on my reservation either.
Perhaps because they are so busy with cruise ship passengers, they don't pay attention to detail and don't really seem to care about the comfort of their clientele... and perhaps some of the employees need a "refresher course" on common courtesy... sad
I will NOT be staying here again...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. The “issue” with the water is something that all properties east of US 1 in Fort Lauderdale have to deal with. According to the City, the water is actually safe because it is treated. Because of our proximity to the beach and salt water, they have to treat the water differently. You are welcome to contact the City of Fort Lauderdale for more specific details on this.
Apparently your room on January 18th was fine so I wish you had called the front desk on the 27th and we could have moved you if you wanted a different room. We're sorry about the wake up call .
We do pay attention to details and we do care about the comfort of our guests. Your stay on the 18th was apparently a good example of that.
I’m sorry that you were not happy after your cruise but I assure you that your pre-cruise stay is the usual at this hotel.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here one night on a last minute business trip. This hotel caters to the cruise ship crowd. I think they charge a premium for their proximity to the dock, since the room was priced about 30% more than the full-service Hilton, which unfortunately was sold out.

I caught the shuttle from the airport, which only runs on the hour, so you might have a long wait if that's your only option. I arrived to find the 250lb, angry, cross-eyed gimp at the counter arguing with her coworker over how something was entered in the computer system. I finally had to interrupt them and tell them to finish their argument after they check me in. I then inquired about transportation in the morning to a business located on the airport, but not at the terminal. Confusion and pandemonium ensued as nobody seemed to comprehend my request. I was finally directly to the shuttle bus driver who assured me this would not be a problem, however I ended up being charged $10 since I wasn't dropped at the terminal.

The room was functional, but that's about it. The mattress was saggy. The a/c, in spite of it's noise, couldn't drown out the traffic noise on the major highway below, nor could it adequately cool the room (it was only 70F outside). The ironing board cover was falling off and stained. In spite of being in a "Suite" there was no microwave or mini fridge. The lighting was pitifully dim (probably not a bad thing).

Since I had a long day and had to catch the shuttle at the top of the hour, I got up early to get breakfast. Bad idea. The breakfast area was overrun by cruise ship passengers. You would have thought they'd never seen a complimentary continental buffet. Better load up on highly processed carbs before parking your fat @ss on the floating buffet for a week. I had to fight my way through the crowd for a cup of luke warm coffee and then it was time to leave.

Next time I'll sleep in the lobby of the Hilton.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Yes, we do cater to the cruise ship crowd because of our great location less than a mile from the entrance to Port Everglades. However, we also have a large corporate market because we are conveniently located near downtown and many marine industry businesses.

Our shuttle from the airport runs “on demand” so when you call, we dispatch the driver. However, for your return to the airport it operates on the hour and there is a sign-up sheet at the Front Desk. We are contracted with a shuttle company and the only services they provide on a complimentary basis are shuttle to and from the airport terminal . They do charge for any other locations.

I will not address your description of our long-time valued staff member. However, we have talked to her about how she behaves at the front desk.

I would like you to tell me what room you were in because all of our rooms have a refrigerator and a microwave. It is possible that you did not open the cabinet doors to your credenza because that’s where they are.

I will also not address your description of our valued guests. We provide a full hot breakfast buffet daily and our guests are all welcome to enjoy it.

If you would like to e-mail me with your name and the room number you stayed in, I will follow up with our Maintenance Department.

Ellen Serra
Director of Sales & Marketing.
Pacific, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before leaving on a cruise. The room was very nice....the only complaint we had was the shuttle service that was provided to pick us up at the airport and take us to the hotel. We called like they told us to and waited.....after 2 more calls and a wait of 1 hour the shuttle bus finally came!! Don't know what was going on that night or if it's always like that but that was very frustrating. Fortunately we weren't on a time crunch.....but we were tired and hungary. Eventually it all worked out ok and our cruise was great.....we liked being 10 minutes from the pier and the shuttle service in the morning to the ship was much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you waited so long for the shuttle. During Cruise Season it seems that many people arrive at the same time and our drivers do the best they can to get everyone to the hotel in a timely manner. Sometimes it's difficult. You are right in saying that we are a nice hotel to stay at before a cruise and I'm glad that your stay was enjoyable. I hope you'll come back again.

Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

It is Convenient if you are going to the Airport or Port Everglades. The prices are a little high but better than other hotels in the area. It does have a shuttle to Port Everglades and the airport. It is strictly utilitarian for those who are passing through. The breakfast is adequate. There is a small gym. But the decor of the hotel is very cold. I think they're trying to be cool with Their colors but unfortunately it comes across as more cold than cool. The other good thing about it is that it is in walking distance to the many restaurants and shops on 17th St.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. You are correct - the hotel is convenient, has a great location and we do provide a good breakfast. I hope you enjoyed some of the great restaurants in our neighborhood. Our colors are "tropical" - we're near the Bahamas and lots of our guests are here on a pleasure trip or heading on a cruise or to the Islands. I hope to see you back here again.

dauphin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale by plane on Feb 20/13, having made reservations prior to arrival it was nice to have a hotel shuttle pick us up and deliver to the hotel with a very courteous driver. Upon arrival at the hotel we checked in without incident,and were greeted by a very friendly front desk person. Getting our room reader card we didn't do much looking around wanting instead to get settled. Arriving at our room, we opened the door only to find the security latch holding the door from the inside,,and a very startled man in the room asking us why we were there ! Needless to say this was a little unnerving for both parties. The desk clerk was equally bewildered and very apologetic. We were upgraded to a great suite and spent the next 5 days very comfortably. Excellent dollar value,suite was well kept, hotel was in my view a bit on the retro side but in a nice way. Continental breakfast was good. Location was handy to everything a traveller/tourist could want, Staff were super nice. The heavy drapes helped in mufflling the highway traffic noise.We liked it alot and would definitely give them a second try. Too error is human, to really screw up takes a computer !!

Room Tip: Take time to compare price points versus services offered. Tourists need a place to sleep, clean up...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oh my - you are so right - it does take a computer to really screw up and for that I truly apologize. I assure you that doesn't happen very often. I am so glad that the next 5 days of your stay were so pleasant. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. We do have a great location, a clean pleasant hotel with a great staff. I hope you'll come back soon and please make a point of asking for me so we can meet.
Lafayette, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My intention was to end a week long business trip at a hotel close to the Fort Lauderdale airport so I could hop on an early morning flight. I was rushed in the time I had to make a reservation. I should have read more & looked at more photos. The best thing about this property is that it is very conveniently located to the airport. The employee at the front desk was friendly as well. Other than that this was a place that was not worth the $299 I was charged. Old and out dated. Dated decor. Traffic noise through my window. I was very happy to wake up and leave. I will make another choice in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ellenkarin, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. You are right – we have a great location near the airport and we have a well-trained, friendly staff. We are located on US 1 which does tend to have traffic as it is a main road. The hotel has just completed a total renovation and the “dated décor” is actually a style – but it is brand new. We do have special events in the area all the time and that is why the rates are higher sometimes. I hope you’ll give us another chance – next time ask for a room on the parking lot side and we’ll do our best to put you there.
Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!