“Amenities great, some of the staff eh” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort

You added Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4060 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (Formerly "Ramada Plaza Beach Resort")   |
Ranked #66 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Baltimore
“Amenities great, some of the staff eh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We arrived late on Friday 8/1 and the woman at the check in desk was very nice. I had received roses from my boyfriend and she asked about special occasion etc. She was very sweet. Our tv did not work but they did send someone up to fix it. Later that evening after we had been out for a while we came back to the room and it was about 80 degrees in there. We realized the ac wasn't working. They sent someone up and he fixed it and was actually very pleasant. He fixed it within a few minutes.

Saturday was amazing weather wise. We rented a cabana (which isn't made known until you actually sit down w/ your belongings and someone approaches you asking for $35.00 for the day). I feel like if the cabanas are on the hotels deck they should be part of the hotel and not be charged. That's kind of silly. Regardless, this was a splurge vacation so we purchased it for the afternoon. We were at the pool pretty early and the beach and the pool were lovely. It started getting crowded around 1pm but nothing crazy. We purchased two drinks at the Tiki bar (a little overpriced at $9.00 each for small cups) but the bartender there was really nice. He actually went on a search for mango for a mango margarita for me! We stayed at the pool area from about 9:30am to 4pm. We had some lunch at the restaurant on the pool deck. It was ok, decent food. The waitress was a tad "off". I asked for the taco salad with no chicken and she looked at me like I had three heads and said "well, that's odd". I don't eat meat so no, it's not really odd. However, she gave us a free order of french fries because I "didn't eat the chicken".

Saturday evening we wanted to order room service and realized we didn't have a room service restaurant menu in our room. We called down and they sent one up for us. We ordered simple sandwiches for dinner and the lady that delivered them to us was very friendly. She made sure we knew that the gratuity was included. I thought that was nice of her. Saturday late (around 11pm) we decided to go out and get some ice cream. As we were coming out of our room we noticed a huge pool of water coming out from the room next to ours. We heard the kids in the room yelling that the toilet had overflowed. We mentioned it to the front desk and they were sending someone up. I found it odd that when we returned there was no fan for the carpet because the water had leaked out about 3 feet. It was sewer water so I thought that was kind of gross. Regardless, it seemed like it had been cleaned up. (the next morning they did have a fan on it).

Sunday morning my boyfriend left and went to get coffee. When he returned he asked the front desk manager for a later check out as it's in the booklet that one can pay for a late check-out which would have been nice because my flight was not until 4pm. She barely let him get the words out before she started shaking her head saying no, no hotel is very busy, no. She told him we could stay till noon but that was it. He went to the restaurant and texted me to come down and have breakfast and that he had coffee from Dunkin Donuts. I got up and started to come downstairs. When I got down there he was sitting by the pool and said the waiter in the restaurant had flipped out on him for having the DD coffee on the table and said "You can't have that in here you have to leave". He said "We're going to eat breakfast here" and the waiter made him leave??!! It was coffee. I thought that was kind of ridiculous. It's not like we brought food in and sat at the table. It was two cups of coffee. We went back up to the room and I thought we could order room service and realized again, we had no menu for breakfast. I went downstairs to the front desk and it was almost like they didn't believe me that I had no menu. She questioned me and I was slightly irritated. I decided to check again for a later check out and before I could even get the words out she shook her head (this was a different staff member than my boyfriend had talked to) and saying "no no the hotel is too busy, no". Geez... maybe be a little more pleasant about it. We realize the hotel is busy but I also know that hotels keep rooms for later check outs. At that point I had had enough so we decided to go ahead and just grab something small to eat (at Dunkin Donuts) and chill in the room until check-out then go eat breakfast elsewhere.

Checkout was ok, nothing to complain about.

As for the room--the kitchen area was pretty nice to have and the room was clean. The side view of the beach was very nice but a little ruined when looking down on the dumpster area of the next building which was constantly overflowing. As other reviewers have stated the a/c units are quite loud but we didn't spend any time on the balcony much anyway.

Overall, would I stay here again? Probably yes because of the convenience of the beach and the lovely pool area. But the staff does need some customer service skills. Some of them are very pleasant but others not so much! I'm thinking about bringing my 11 year old daughter down in February and I might stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe try a room high up on the other side of the building from the a/c units.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Considering cost/benefit, this is by far the worst hotel I have ever been.

The room was shabby, dark and depressing. Didn't want to spend a minute there. Very low quality furniture. Drawers were stuck and we had to pull hard to open them. Safe box had no door (seriously, this is not a joke). Lighting was horrible. Bathroom was old, dirty, tiny (for Florida standards, this is not Manhattan, come on). Toilette paper was of the cheapest quality. Bed was good, but pillows were cheap.

Service was horrendous. One morning I went for breakfast and there was no server. I went to the concierge to ask and he told me to look around! Of course I said: "No, you go and look around, I am the customer". Breakfast was expensive and terrible. A "fruit plate", consisting of only melon and lettuce, costs US$10.

Security was a joke. My daughter requested and extra key to our room and they didn't ask her for an ID, didn't even ask for a name. They gave her the key, no questions asked.

Wifi was a joke. It was so slow that we decided to use our iPhones as hotspots. Much faster.

The only good part was the pool and the beach.

I paid an average of $150 per night.

Never again.

Room Tip: Look for a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I frequent at this hotel, at least once a month and my family and I love it!! The staff is amazing, by now they know us and what we like so we get Red Carpet service all the way.The rooms are Spotless and Big. The hotel itself is nice, clean,perfect for family vaca's and romantic escapes. The pool area is HUGE so even on a booked weekend , you don't get the loud crowded pool area. A lot of out of towners go there, so its quiet and filled with friendly people. The best part that its set in a quiet neighborhood at the end of a private small 2 way street (very small street) so you barely get traffic. Across the street there is a small plaza with a Winn Dixie,liquor store,Dunkin donuts, NY Deli, pizzeria,Mcdonalds, WINGS souvenier store and a CVS. All of that literally a 2 min walk accross the street.
So you have no use for your car the entire weekend, and if you want noise you have 2 choice. either you ca go next door to the Ocean Manors Famous Tiki Bar (that has music/DJ's and parties every weekend) or if you feel like partying (Ft. Laud Beach Place is 10 mins down A1A).

Amazing place!!!! We love it here and wouldn't change it for the world.

Room Tip: ALL the rooms are great here!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had a great time at this hotel in Ft Lauderdale Florida. The only negative was overpriced small drinks at the Tiki Bar and never one given free even after running up $100 dollar bill per night due to the cost of the drinks. The house liquor was sub standard. The bartenders and barmaids were wonderful nice attentive people this is not their fault, if the tiki bar could be corrected it would be a 5 star in my mind for the price, the rooms are basic but they are clean and everyone that works there is helpful. It is also a great location beachfront in Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Thank you for the nice comments about cleanliness, our service and the location on the beach which can't be beat. We will look into your concerns at the tiki bar.

We hope to see you again soon.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is our fourth stay at Ocean Sky. Once again, the staff met and exceeded our expectations. Spent eight nights enjoying the beach, pool and hot tub. Room was clean and we enjoyed the 8th room balcony with a beautiful view of the sea. It is really nice as there are eating places close by plus a grocery and drug store. Everything is really convenient. Nice frig. and microwave in the room too. We consider Ocean Sky Hotel and Resort our home away from home and look forward to our next visit. We do not even consider another place to stay in Ft. Lauderdale. A BIG THANK YOU to Mr. Cahaly and the staff for making our stay one we will never forget. P.S. I have attached a photo of the staff. See you all next year!

Room Tip: We enjoy staying on the south side of the building up high.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
We are very proud to be your home away from home and feel very fortunate that you don't consider looking anywhere else. Thank you for the wonderful comments.

All the best.
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here midweek for one night celebrating our 2yr anniversary. We emailed the hotel prior to arrival inquiring about a possible early checkin. No one responded to our email, however when we arrived our room was ready so it was a pleasant surprise. We stayed in the standard king room. The room was outdated and it showed signs of wear and tear. However, it was nice to have a mini fridge to store our drinks. The pool was nice and there were plenty of lounge chairs with a great view of the beach. We rented beach chairs with an umbrella and we were a bit shocked to have to pay $30. The receptionist told us that it costs $5 each to rent beach chairs, but she failed to mention that it's just only for the chair without the cushions or umbrella. We did enjoy the beach and took a long stroll until the dark clouds came. Overall, for a quick one night stay it was fine. If you are looking for a beachfront hotel that is convenient without frills then this is for you.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your anniversary and we are honored that you spent it with us. We hope to see you again for many more happy occasions.

Many Thanks.
Cape Canaveral, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Opposite experience from previous couple of years.

According to a security guard that was monitoring the beach for coolers, coolers are NOT allowed on the beach due to a "cooler incident". Says it's a city ordinance.Hope you don't get thirsty at the beach with mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the 90's. While I took mine back up to my room, the security guard let other folks on the beach with coolers and didn't say anything to them. You MIGHT get away with it.

Air conditioners in the rooms don't work properly. Set temperature on thermostat to 72, come back after a few hours at the beach, it is 76 in the room and the A/C not on (we had 2 rooms adjoining with the same issue). Notified front desk, maintenance came up and said it is fine. A/C would only stay running at night.

Smoking no longer allowed on the balconies either.

Not happy with the new policies and will not be staying here anymore. What a shame.

Room Tip: Find a room with an A/C unit you can control if you don't want to sweat after a day at the beach...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for having stayed with us before and I am sorry for the inconveniences. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the near future.

Paul Cahaly

Been to Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!