“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4060 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (Formerly "Ramada Plaza Beach Resort") (Central Beach)   |
Ranked #59 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I cannot understand why people have written bad reviews for this hotel. This hotel was absolutely fantastic and great value for money. All the staff from the front desk to the housekeeping staff were very friendly and made everything possible to make our stay comfortable and relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble The hotel is based in a quiet neighbourhood of North Fort Lauderdale and has plenty of amenities accross the street from a supermarket, Gift shops, dry cleaners, Pharmacy, restaurants and bars. Even public transportation is on your doorstep with bus routes to take you to the Galleria and Sawgrass mills.
The hotel was clean and housekeeping was done on a daily basis. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and will be booking to stay again next year!!!!
A big thanks to all the staff for making my stay so enjoyable especially the ladies on the front desk!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
It really means alot to us to read your comments. We share them with our staff and they really appreciated your kindness. Hope to see you soon!!

Thank you again.

895 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The front desk staff was fabulous. We came here with my company for business and all the staff was so friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. That was no small task with 25 women. There were 2 other groups there and everyone was extremely pleased with the hotel and staff. I even called my husband to meet me there so we could have a long weekend. We had a wonderful time, beautiful pool, beachfront, close to shopping and restaurants, lovely view of the ocean from our room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind words about our front desk and staff and I am so glad that you turned it into a long weekend with your husband!
Hope to see you often in the future.

Hendersonville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I don't understand why people complain about this hotel. I have stayed there 12 years out of the past 13. You won't find a better hotel on the beach, in a good neighborhood, within walking distance of anything you want for the price ANYWHERE in south Florida. I am a native Miamian, so I know a lot about S. Florida. There is no place else I would rather stay than Ocean Sky. Every other hotel with its' amenities, neighborhood, and on the beach is WAY more expensive. What do these other people expect for the price?? The one year I had complaints about the decor and the service, I talked to the manager (and gave him a list of complaints). He not only, fixed all of the problems, he sincerely apologized and greatly reduced the rate I had agreed to pay. Every year since then (at his request), I book directly through him (the MANAGER) and I get a great rate! Paul really impressed me! Also, for the man who complained that he thought something had been stolen from his room? THEY HAVE A SAFE in every room! I use it! I'm not crazy about paying for the valet service, but they are VERY nice and I know my car is in good hands! The front desk staff that was so rude to me that one stay is gone now. The complaints I had about paint peeling, balcony door sticking, etc., have all been fixed. Oh, and for those who complain about the balcony doors being hard to open? They are WOOD doors, ON THE BEACH! The humidity, salt air, and heat make the door stick! It happens on EVERY balcony door on the beach, if it is made of wood!! I love this hotel, and will continue to stay there every vacation for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: The whole hotel is non-smoking, so don't stay here if you expect to smoke. I snuck a few cigs o...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you personally for the nice comments and for your amazing loyalty to us. I am so glad to have you with us so long that you have seen all of our improvements and we look forward to seeing you for many more years.

Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We took the grandkids for an overnight trip to Ft Lauderdale in July and stayed in one of their one-bedroom suites. The hotel was nice - modern & clean. The staff was courteous and professional. The pool & hot tub were large & also clean. We had a drink at the outdoor tiki bar ($$$), but didn't try the hotel restaurant. The location is great - right on the beach & plenty of restaurants & clubs within walking distance on A1A. Don't remember what we spent on the room, but it was reasonable. We'll stay there again when we're in Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
It is so nice of you to bring your grandchildren to the beach for vacation. We hope to have you enjoy it with them here for years to come. Thank you for the nice words. We really appreciate that.

West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

When we arrived ,last saturday ,front desk lady was Average same like normal hotel,,Great Location ,Bar So poor ,they need more activity on the pool site,the jacuzzi was broken ,water was really hot but the pump do not run,room clean and very confortable ,nice balconies ,one elevator not work,also the restaurant all time was empty ,we paid around 79.00 dollars plus tax and fees,in the future I would like to spend couple days on Ocean Sky & Resort,but they need to work in this issues ,Bar and restaurant need more creative and variety,and

Room Tip: Rooms with intercoastal view,727 and 725
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. Very glad that you are interested in staying with us again.

We hope to see you soon.
Homestead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel location is perfect! Right on the beach! The pool overlooks the ocean and there is access to the beach. The restaurant was good the first day we ate there, but on the second day, we ordered hamburgers and they were terrible!! They were frozen patties. They were so greasy! TERRIBLE!!! The service, however, was great! The room could have been cleaner...we found a bunch of hair in the sheets & in the bathroom. WE talked about the maid service wearing hair nets...that would really help!

Room Tip: The closer you get to the beach, the better, seeing as how the hotel is facing the side
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind comments and we will look into those issues that you mentioned.

Hope to see you again soon.
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just like my title says " Resort it's Not!". The Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort was more like a standard beachside motel. Rates fluctuated between $99 - $260 a night for the Labor Day weekend. My family spent the weekend and each one of our rooms although exactly the same had different rates. Item's which made this stay less than a Resort were the $12 a day Valet or Self-parking fee from an outside vendor even though they're set up at the properties entrance. Double lounge chairs AKA Cabanas rented for $40, once again from outside vendor that is actually on the "resorts" poolside property. They also rent waverunners and beach umbrellas at an additional charge. I've stayed at many resorts and from my experience a resort includes all of these onsite amenities and don't nickel and dime you for pool or beach lounge chairs. To me a cabana is a private/ semi private temporary or permanent free standing shade structure with curtains, decorative drapes and/or solid walls not a double lounge chairs with an umbrella so to charge $40 rental fee is so NOT a Resort thing to do. Another issue at this property was the lack of security. A fist fight started pool side in the early evening between drunk guests and I think they sent someone from the front desk. Smoking is not permitted in the rooms and they have a sign stating that if housekeeping finds a cigarette you'll be find $150 but I guess cannabis doesn't fall into that category as it was being smoked on my floor. Not a good thing when there's children. Lack of ice was another issue. Ice machines were only available on odd floors but you couldn't find any ice. All of the machines were always empty. Final issue was the Valet. Family members that checked in late paid the valet person cash yet at time of check-out they didn't remember taking the cash and quickly added it to the room. To avoid this add the valet fee to your room and DON'T PAY the Valet in CASH! Anyhow, if you decide to stay at this so called "Resort" just keep in mind of the nickel and diming you'll be faced with.

Room Tip: Ask for the southwest corner units that way you have a great sunset view and only share one wall wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Room rates do fluctuate depending on when you book just like airlines pricing for example. Parking is a great value here especially for being right on the beach and the charge is always placed on the room which is relayed to our guests on check in. Parking and water sports and other outlets onsite at hotels are frequently concessions. I am also not aware of any resort that offers complimentary waverunners. We are a completely smoke free hotel. When we are busy on holiday weekends, the ice, despite being plentiful, tends to go fast.

Paul Cahaly

Been to Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!