I was nervous to stay at this hotel because of the negative reviews but the price really couldn't be beat for the location right on the beach. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to list the pros and cons of the experience.
Room Pros: Yes the rooms are old, but ours was very clean! The bathroom was clean and seemed to be recently updated. No problems with water heat or water pressure or anything like that. The air conditioner is VERY loud. I am listing this as a pro for me because I like the noise when I sleep and it helped to block out noise from adjacent rooms. Balcony was fine we actually had quite a nice ocean view and enjoyed going out there each morning.
Room Cons: Could use some updating especially to the bed linens. They still use old polyester comforters which really did not feel good after a day in the sun. You could clearly hear people in the adjacent rooms which was annoying at times.
Location Pros: Location is great, in a quiet area right on the ocean. We were steps away from Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Winn Dixie, restaurants, and Wings (a huge reasonably priced beach store). I definitely recommend buying beach chairs and umbrellas there since they cost money to rent them at the hotel.
Location Cons: If you are looking to be in the downtown Las Olas Blvd area then I wouldn't stay here since it is not in walking distance. We were able to take a bus downtown for $2.00. A taxi will set you back around $15 with tip. The hotel didn't seem to advertise the local transit because they want you to take their shuttles but I would definitely recommend the buses.
Pool Area Pros: Pool area was awesome! The pool was clean and the water temp was perfect.
Pool Area Cons: There are cabanas around the pool with umbrellas and nice padded chairs that cost $35 a day. The price seemed ridiculous but we payed it so we could have some shade. Other than that there is not a lot of shade by the pool area. The tiki bar is nice but the food and drinks were ridiculously overpriced. We walked to a liquor store and mixed our own drinks. The food at the hotel is just mediocre.
Overall our experience at the hotel was really great. The staff was friendly, nice, and helpful. If you don't mind staying in an older room then I would definitely recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on the beach, Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort is perfectly situated minutes away from major attractions, restaurants and shopping. Rooms are equipped with mini-refrigerators, microwaves, hair-dryers, in room safes and coffee-makers. All standard rooms have a side-ocean view and open air balcony. Oceanfront view, 1 bedroom suites are also available. Our large pool deck features an oversized jacuzzi, heated pool, tiki bar and water sports. The resort also has an indoor/outdoor restaurant, fitness center, gift shop and mini golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Otel, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sky Hotel And Resort
- Ocean Sky Resort
- Ocean Sky Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Ramada