“Insist on a Receipt!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Australia
“Insist on a Receipt!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I had pre-paid for my stay at this hotel.
As usual practice I had to give my credit card number for Incidentals at check in. The reception area was very small.
We booked the transfer to the boat the next morning at the advice of the extremely nice desk clerk.
Our room was adequate, it smelt very heavily of room freshner which was a little over powering.
when we came out of our room the next day, it was chaos. 95% of the hotel were trying to check out. The tiny reception area had now become a breakfast area too!! People were standing in the corridor and just blocking the whole exit. The guy told us we would not get on the bus so we asked for a refund on checking out. The printer wa snot working so I signed for the refund but was given no paperwork.
to my dimay I was charged on my credit card for the bus fare plus the room again. That was on 24th February and to date I have not received a refund, even though Best Western have said they will now on 3 occasions.
the staff here are really good but the pressure on them at check out is huge. People are not prepared to wait in line, there is pushing and shoving and chaos reigns. The hair dryer in my room did not work. I told the desk clerk who thanked me for reporting it but did not write it down so I guess did nothing!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
HIManagement84, Manager at BEST WESTERN Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
We are very sorry that you did not feel you received the value for your stay with us. Please contact me at walter.lowenberg@luckeysmanage.com about the charges on your bill. We care very much of what impression our guests take away from their visit with us. We take the time to read every posting and take them very seriously and can assure you, that we will be reviewing them with our team so we can continually improve our hotel. Thank you for your review, even though it was not a positive one , you took the time to write and we apreciate it. We hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future and turn around your impression of our hotel. I hope to hear from you very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I, stayed for one night. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

The service was excellent. Mario very friendly and helpful. He gave us a info on driving down to the keys. I least like the smell of the hall leading up to our rooms. The location was again important and Mario made sure he gave us as much details on getting around.

Portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I got exactly what I extected for the price so I can't complain much. The location is pretty central to downtown area and really close to the airport, cruiseport and major expressways. We got in a bit late, but the front desk guy Mario was awesome and was able to answer all of our questions and get us in to our room quickly. Nothing is worse then when you are in a new city and the person at your hotel can't tell you about local information, so it was nice to pick his brain a bit and get reccommendations on how to spend our time.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed here on night before cruise; flew into FLL; called about free shuttle upon arrival, got some less than perfect directions in less than perfect English about where to meet the shuttle. Figured it out ourselves after some walking. Shuttle ride short and pretty quick once we got on. Check-in was easy (it was pretty late, only us and a few others from shuttle checking in). You have to tell them what time you want to take shuttle to cruise port (our choices were 9:30 or 10:30 shuttle). Shuttle is 6 or 8 bucks a person -- can't remember which. What I do remember is that you pay them the morning of. I went to front desk (lobby was absolutely chaotic -- it was a Saturday with a lot of cruisers --- packed breakfast area, packed lobby, and people standing inside and outside the entrance area) and asked who I pay and what I do for the shuttle. I paid cash to the front desk and she looked at me like we were done. I asked where/how I was to catch this shuttle (given that vans were pulling up to the front door and there were so many people everywhere). She told me to see the lady outside. I went to that lady and she asked me what time I was scheduled and I told her 10:30. She looked at a 10:30 list and told me I wasn't on it. I told her I watched the guy write my name on it last night. Another couple standing near told me they had the same problem -- there are two 10:30 sheets. The hotel lady fumbled through her papers and found my room #. She then asked for my money. I told her I paid the lady at the front desk, as I was told to do (note: both of these ladies are hotel employees, not private shuttle employees). She said she'd "settle it with her" and then acted like we were done. I don't understand how a hotel that touts itself as being a great place to stay for airport and cruise port, that has 100 people in its lobby at one time on a busy cruise morning, hasn't figured out some ticket system or other organizational system for the shuttle service. I understand they don't drive or own the cruise shuttles, but they do control everything up until the point that you get in a shuttle van. Also, with all the luggage in this hotel, only one of two elevators would go to the First/Main/Ground Floor. We waited with others forever to get down, only to give up, take the second elevator to 2nd floor, then haul luggage down fire stairwell to lobby. Rooms were average as far as cleanliness, comfort, etc; nothing awful, but nothing that made you feel great about the money you're paying to stay there. Would I stay again? Maybe -- only if couldn't get better deal elsewhere. I dealt with the issues/problems myself, but some people can get even more frustrated than I did with the same types of issues, so I've been comprehensive in my review for everyone's sake. When reading about this hotel before visiting, I didn't see great info on the area. I walked Saturday morning to a K-Mart that is in a shopping center with many other stores and near a Burger King and McDonald's. You will have to cross busy street as others have said, so maybe not good if you can't at least break into a jog if necessary.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Due to an unexpected flight delay, we chose this hotel because they were near and offered free 24 hr. shuttle service. The room was very clean with comfortable beds and quiet night. The bathroom was average and clean. We scheduled a 4 A.M. shuttle back to the airport (the service leaves on the hour) which was too early for the free breakfast, but a young man quickly put out packaged muffins and sweet rolls for us and that was convenient and helpful. I was pleased with the check-in/out service and our wake-up call was punctual. I did feel the rate was a little pricey but there were lots of cruises that Sunday so that may be the norm. I've looked them up on the internet from home and they have better rates at times so planning ahead would be my advice.

Room Tip: The property is well located and away from busy roadways and we were on the second floor....no noise...
Holly Springs, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at this property a few days ago and had a very pleasant experience. We just needed one night as we were driving up from the Keys and our flight left the next day. This property met all our needs! We had a big, clean, modern room. The pool area was great to relax at. The continental breakfast in the morning was more than adequate. The only reason I did not give them a rating of excellent is because we had to wait for our room to be cleaned and ready even arriving after 4pm (check in is a 3pm). We would highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed in mid-March 1 night before a cruise. Called the hotel to ask about the airport shuttle as well as a shuttle to the cruiseport the next day.

Very friendly staff; clean room with good amenities.

Warning about the shuttles to the cruiseportl: available only 24 hours before the day of your cruise; we waited until we arrived the night before, around 9pm and found that they only had openings for shuttles at 9:30 and 10:30am. Should have called before we arrived to secure a reservation on a later shuttle.

Lobby was crowded in the am since checkout was at 11am and lots of folks were waiting for 11:30 and later shuttles to cruiseport with all their luggage.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port? Share your experiences!