“Could not have asked for more!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free
Ranked #12 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Wilmington, Delaware
“Could not have asked for more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I had booked this over a month in advance because we both needed to get away after a stressful few months. We stayed for 5 nights. We could not have asked for better. The valet folks (Jeremiah and Victor) and the bellman (Alessandro) were extremely welcoming and helpful. We arrived earlier than check in and had to wait which we completely understood. My husband took this time to take a little nap in the beautifully appointed lobby. The front desk team (Wes and Ashley and Rodline) were so professional and yet so personable. We had a marvelous suite. It had a balcony with a breath taking view of the Atlantic. When they describe this resort as "Old Florida Charming" they are saying it as a great compliment and with the idea of luxury in mind. The décor, the cleanliness (housekeeping staff for the 7th floor were very nice and non-invasive), the comfort of the bed and the furniture were way beyond my expectations. It was quiet despite a wedding being celebrated on Saturday and Mother's Day on Sunday. The beach was a big draw for me and the pool/ lazy river was a big draw for my husband. At the beach, Leroy was a great help in setting up our area where we lazed the morning away. Jen served us drinks on the beach and was a great personality and wit. At the pool, Nathan was very attentive and made sure we found a spot and were taken care of. In the late afternoon it was a joy just to sit in the rocking chairs on the veranda and watch the ship and pelicans go by. During our five days we were lucky to meet a number of excellent servers...first in the restaurant (Katie, Isaac, Jenny and Michael) and then at the lounge (Melissa and Shannon). They all made the experience exceptional. Just a note on the food and beverage side of the experience. The restaurant features some amazing dishes, most notably, the salmon omelet, the chocolate chip pancakes, the filet, the scallops, the chorizo appetizer and the crab cake appetizer. The soups were very good as well...I could live on the conch and veg soup I had on my first day. My husband had the gazpacho every opportunity he could! In the late evening we would go to the lounge and order a dessert (the rum bread pudding!!) and a nightcap. The drinks were amazing. Hyde Park Corner and the Pelican Brief are two I seriously need to replicate...soon! The wine selection is extensive as well. I enjoyed a few glasses of those just to make sure I could write about them. (Yup, I am selfless that way.) All in all one of the most pleasant vacations / getaways my husband and I have had in a while. While there, we were already planning when we could get back in the next couple of months. That to me is the greatest compliment I can give. Nicely done Pelican Grand...keep up your high standards and you will have us as guests for life!

Room Tip: I would recommend an ocean view room 5th floor and up on the south side which is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We are happy to hear that we were able to make your stay so enjoyable! Our staff will be pleased to hear how much you appreciated their service. We thank you for this wonderful review and can’t wait to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
Montclair, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

More like 3.5 Stars.
Stayed at Pelican Grand for 5 nights in May.

Plus:
-Great value for Ft. Lauderdale if you book at the right time.
-Good Location. Go from your room to the beach in 4 minutes. Beach is gorgeous and well maintained. Short cab or bus ride to Las Olas (I wouldn't rent a car if you can avoid it). Only people on the beach in the area are guests of the hotel so you don't have to wear bracelets or show room key to use amenities (chairs/umbrellas, etc.).

-Staff was helpful and polite for our entire stay, especially the pool and beach attendants.
- Room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. New HDTV in our room, no HD channels however (a pet peeve of mine).
-Restaurant on site was pretty good (better for lunch, in my opinion). Prices were fair and the servers were very good.
-Small gym but sufficient (doesn't seem to get much use from guests). Great view of the ocean from the treadmills.
-Pool and lazy rivers are well maintained and heated.
-Best Wi-FI I've had in a hotel. Even works on the beach (albeit not at strong).
$15 resort fee is fair for the Wi-Fi, beach chairs, umbrellas and towels. Wish it included a newspaper as well.

Cons:
-Not all rooms have balconies. We booked our room through expedia and just assumed that it would have a balcony, regardless of the view. While our room was nice, our section only had windows looking out on the water, but no balcony. This wasn't the fault of the hotel by any means, but it should be noted if you're booking and care about having one (we did) to confirm your room includes one.

- During the last 2 days of our trip, a film crew was shooting a Spanish soap opera in the hotel, including on the pool area, beach and lobby. This would've been fine, however, no notice was made to the guests about the shooting, verbally or otherwise. This was a pain, especially for the guests on the beach who were being used as extras for shots. At one point the director even yelled at a guest on the loud speaker to stop looking at the camera, as if he was an actor on set. No one from the hotel was present to help manage this, and when we talked to the front desk about this, there was no apology given, only that they were shooting over two days to accommodate guests?! The crew proceeded to take up the lobby for the rest of the afternoon and a large part of the second day, which was annoying to say the least. It was clear that no one was from the hotel was really in charge of managing the guests around this shoot and instead it was as if the guests were inconveniencing the film crew by using the hotel. This was simply a reflection of poor management from the hotel side and unacceptable at any hotel, especially one that is trying to position themselves as "higher end". This is also my main reason for the lower overall score.

-We had one small issue where the parking attendant tried to put us in an airport van to Las Olas instead of a normal taxi that we asked for. When the van driver said it would be $15, we said we'd prefer a cab which would only be $8-10, but the attendant insistent we take the van. We ended up just hailing one on the street which was fine, just an annoying exchange to get a simple cab.

-No tea in the room and the coffee is the worst I've had in a hotel. It's clear they want you to buy your coffee/tea in the ice cream parlor and not make it in the room, which just seems cheap.
-Cheap bathroom products and does not include sunscreen.

Few tips:
-Keep cash handy for cabs. You can use credit card but the drivers much prefer cash and will make you aware of it.
-The $13 coffee mug is a good deal if you're staying multiple days and like coffee. If you prefer making coffee in your room, bringing your own coffee and use the water from the gym since it's filtered (the water from the tap isn't great).
-Bring a water bottle or two. The hotel has fruit-infused water at the hotel, pool and beach.
-Bring your own sunscreen or buy it at CVS/Walgreens if possible. The hotel charges a premium for sunscreen ($18 for a normal size bottle).
If you need to go to CVS/Publix - I suggest the one by Galleria Mall. $6 cab ride (or take the bus) and it's cheaper than the 24hr one on Las Olas.
-Pizza Rustica has good pizza, low prices and fast delivery.

Overall: I'd recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal. If you're spending a lot to stay here and have other options, I'd probably have to think harder about it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for providing us with such a detailed review! We’re glad you enjoyed your stay overall and we appreciate all of your feedback. We’re sorry that you were not given notice of the filming on our grounds and we have made management aware of your overall concerns. We hope you will consider staying with us again!
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Pelican for a little early spring sun to break up a bleak winter in the New York. I was highly impressed with the staff who were very attentive, polite, and made every effort to make my stay enjoyable. Nathan at the Pool/ Beach was exceptional and went out of his way to make my stay great. My only regret in recommending this resort would be if I could not get a room myself because every one should be staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
We’re glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay! Thank you so much for your kind words and positive feedback. Fortunately, we have plenty of rooms and you’re always welcome to return!
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

From the beginning of our stay, everything was calm and not stressful.
The most difficulty we faced was choosing between relaxing poolside on the comfortable chairs, laying down under an umbrella on the beach, or floating around the lazy river.

Room Tip: We didn't have an ocean front view, but still could see the Atlantic Ocean from our room that wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the positive review! We strive to create the perfect, stress-free, atmosphere for our guests to unwind, so we’re very glad you were able to relax during your stay. Hopefully you can return soon!
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have been a re-run customer for almost 20 years. Want to applaud all the staff for superior service, but a few stood out Nathan at pool side was very attentive always with a smile and making sure every detail was addressed. Claudio took my reservation and also addressed each request with optimum results. The hotel itself if beautiful, perfect size, rooms are over sized beautifully decorated and clean. Linens are WHITE and crisp. Again great weekend and at a great resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We’re glad that after 20 years you keep on coming back! Thank you so much for sharing this review with us and complimenting our amazing staff. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay.
Grayton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the moment we arrived, staff was there to greet us! Valet Alejandra and Bellman Victor immediately assisted us in unpacking. Wes checked us in and explained the amenities, which are over the top! Our room was expansive with an ocean view & spotlessly clean by Georgia! We went down to the pool deck where Nathan located chairs and placed fresh towels on them. Shannon served us bottomless cold drinks poolside overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We walked a few steps down to the beach where Nicind set us up a beach umbrella. For dinner we ate at the bar & grill, Mayra served us cheerfully exactly what we asked for. In the morning we watched the sunrise from a rocking chair on the back porch while Earls swept & sang "Good Morning!" More lazy river time as Michele asked if there was anything she could do for us! Dinner was in the fancy Ocean restaurant we had snapper, shrimp, and salmon cooked perfectly by Chef. I loved the view from the deck of green grass, palm trees swaying in the breeze, cocoa colored beach sand, deep blue ocean gentle waves, and white painted bannisters. What a wonderful stay and vacation, we felt truly relaxed and pampered!

Room Tip: a good room would also include city view because you still can see the beach and the street below. T...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for providing us with such a descriptive review! It sounds like you had an amazing experience. We appreciate that you gave recognition to many of our staff members and will make sure they know they helped make your stay enjoyable!
pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Pelican Grand was pretty, but while i was floating around the lazy river with my baby, my iphone was stolen out of my diaper bag, along with my wallet (with less than $100). My husband's phone was also stolen from under his towel.
The only people there mulling around were the pool attendents. Who were fiddling with 'fresh towels' ... Of course, you can't accuse if you didn't actually see it happen. The pool was very uncrowded and it happened very quickly. I should have made a fuss....it happened so quick, my husband checked his phone to see what time it was because he and our sons were going to a football game in Miami. Then he came to float around the lazy river with me. 10 minutes later he got back out and our phones and my wallet was gone.
My wallet just happened to be found in the lobby on the piano within the next hour.... cash was taken, but at least my drivers license was there. Had to cancel all the credit cards. I felt set-up and unsafe at the Pelican Grand after that.
If you go, please guard your items. The hotel manager DID respond to an email i sent him, but what could he really do??? He said he was sorry. He would tell the insurance company. The hotel insurance company denied any claim or responsibility. I wrote to the hotel manager again asking him if it was the end of the road for me...never heard back.
My husband thought the hotel looked nice online and it did have a lazy river, which he thought would be fun for the kids even though we were there to do things in Miami. I would say skip this hotel and stay in Miami. My advice is Be on guard, hiding your stuff doesn't work. My husband was in the army and we have traveled to many hotels all over Europe and in the US. We have never had anything stolen anywhere, except here at the Grand Pelican =(

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We apologize for any negative experience you may have had. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay as we always take customer feedback into consideration to help us improve in the future.

Been to Pelican Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!