“Beach is very small, food is overpriced but pretty good, a bit crowded” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Grand Beach Resort

Offers & Announcements
4th Night Free
Ranked #10 of 132 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Arlington, Virginia
“Beach is very small, food is overpriced but pretty good, a bit crowded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here over Columbus Day weekend, so 3 nights. Our room was right outside the elevator, although we didn't have a noise problem. We were 903 I believe so I'd request rooms farther down the hall next time. The room is best described as shabby chic. It's nice, it's comfortable but it isn't new or updated. Obvious wear signs on the furniture, rug, and bathroom. Our room came in two parts -- the sleeping side, then passing through a door (with a large glass window) the sitting side with the balcony and view of the water. We'd rather this have been reversed but opening the blinds on the large glass window, we could see the ocean from the bedroom. The balcony is a good size and very pleasant to relax on. There is a fridge, microwave and in-room safe. The beach is very small. There are attendants there to set up beach chairs and umbrellas for you, along with towels. This is a great service and we tipped well as a thank you (because it was hot and hard to dig the umbrella holes). No one else seemed to tip, which seemed odd. We didn't spend any real time at the pool except to go down the lazy river one time. It was ok. The pool area was also small. There are 2 restaurants, one is a bar off the pool and the other is a fancy sit down restaurant. Both are very expensive, although your immediate options are basically nil. The food is ok in the bar, basic, nothing extraordinary. The food in the restaurant is quite good, including delicious $5 sides like truffle macaroni and cheese (delicious). Again, very expensive. We considered a cab ride down the road to explore other restaurants, but ended up staying on the property for convenience. I'm not sure about parking, I believe there is an over night charge. We took a $30 cab ride from the airport.

This is all to say, this is a nice place and I'd probably go here again -- in the off season. My sister stayed during August and said it was a nightmare to get chairs and an umbrella and they in fact ran out of chairs/umbrellas. The pool was so crowded and the chairs did not have canopies over them so you basically baked in the sun. I would not go here during a peak time because I do not believe the facility is large enough to service a large number of guests at one time. Hope this helps you make a decision! Safe travels.

Room Tip: Rooms on either side of the elevator which is around room 903. Watch out for the ice machines, I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear lovethebeachweather,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay here at the Pelican Grand. First let me say that it is disappointing to read that you were not totally satisfied especially with the restaurant quality and pricing. It is disappointing since we get so many positive comments on our restaurant and food and I can assure you our prices are right in line with other hotel on Ft. Lauderdale beach.
We are now in the process of updating our rooms and I am sure that on your next visit you will see the difference.
As for the beach the past few months have taken their toll on all of Ft. Lauderdale Beach with extreme high tides and passing storms. We are working hard with the City, DEP and our own private engineering firm to lay in the proper plan to restore and rebuild our dunes and stairs.
I am glad to hear the you will return and I know I speak for all of us when I say we hope to see you again and for you to see firsthand the improvements in the hotel.

1,664 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Apopka, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Overall this is a very nice hotel, but not a 5 star. My husband and I were looking for a romantic excape to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We were looking forward to nice long walks on the beach. Unfortunately due to recent storms, major beach erosion has washed all of the sand back into the ocean, and there is no beach to walk on. This is obviously not the hotel's fault, but hopefully this can be resolved because the beach is a major draw for this hotel.

Upon checkin we were impressed with the friendly greeting of the front desk manager. Upon learning that we were there for our anniversary, he offered us a complimentary bottle of wine. Very nice. The bellhop followed us up the elevator and brought our bags to our room, grabbed the tip and took off. The room was warm, he did not turn on the air or fans, or open the doors to the ocean, and he did not offer to get us ice.

We had a oceanfront king suite. The room was very nice and spacious, but the cleaning staff must have been busy too, because they missed a few things. There was no plactic insert bag for the ice bucket, there were dirty coffee grinds in the coffee maker, and dirty fingerprints on the closet door. Mostly however, we noticed that the technology is about a decade behind in the rooms. There is no wi-fi, high speed internet is thru a yellow phone cord that comes out of the wall. The two TVs in the room are big heavy boxes, not flat screens. There is no place to plug in your Iphone to play music. They will however sell you 120 minutes of generic music via the box tv for $10..

Since we could not take the much anticipated walk along the beach, we went to the pool. The staff there was very friendly and accomodating. However there were a few dissapointments there as well. The lazy river needed some sprucing up. Some of the landscaping had seen better days and was littered with trash. The walls surrounding the area were faded and needed painting. However, it appeared that they working on painting the exterior of the hotel, so perhaps the pool area was next.

After returning to our room and showering off the pool water, we wanted to lounge out on our balcony to gaze at the ocean and enjoy a glass of wine. It would have been fabulous if the hotel had offered robes in the room, but they did not. Later that afternoon we were in the lobby and decided to sit on the veranda in the rocking chairs. It looked like such a relaxing enjoyable activity and it was, but I noticed the railing and the arms of the rockers were black with dirt and grime. An occasional scrub brush and warm soapy water would have easily corrected that problem.

Perhaps I had an over-critical eye, but for what we paid for the room, I expected much more. Overall, our stay was enjoyable. The room was comfortable and most of the staff we interacted with were very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan H,

Thank you so much for your review and for pointing out the things that you observed that needed improving. Please accept my apology that we did not meet your expectation or the ones we set for ourselves. The items that you have mention are not acceptable and I can assure you that we are addressing each one.
As for the beach you are correct that recent changes in the tides and passing storms have left the beaches of Ft. Lauderdale narrow and in need to repair. We are working hard with the City, DEP and our own private engineering firm to lay in the proper plan to restore and rebuild our dunes and stairs.

I am please to say that we have begun our room renovation and soon all rooms will have flat screens and wifi as well as a new look. We are working hard to make sure we live up to the reputation that we have achieved over the years and hope that you will return to see the improvements.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

All in all, we had a great time staying at this facility. We are all from the Ft. Lauderdale area, but our stayed felt like we were on vacation because of the entire staff, specifically Michele, Kevin, Pat, and Marcelo. These four individuals really made us feel comfortable at all times. They were accommodating with our entire group, which included 2 young children. We had a great time, and we will definitely be coming back again soon to stay. Not only the adults in our group, but the kids as well, had a great time on our stay-cation!

Room Tip: The higher the better! Great view of Ft. Lauderdale, OCEAN VIEW!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear megan j,

Thank you for your review and your wonderful comments. It is great to read how many of our team members made you and your family’s stay special and welcoming. It always to great to hear from our local guests as you know all the choices you have and I personally want to thank you for choosing the Pelican Grand.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a nice hotel. Not a 5 star resort There are a few draw backs. There are no spa services,such as massages. The beach is very narrow and at high tide there is almost no beach at all.Therefore I had to sit at the pool The staff is very friendly and helpful . The food is ok . The hotel clean and the maid service was good There is no cell service in the rooms,because of the steel old construction of the building
I was there on business so that was an issue. The business center has old computers which had issues.
The room was noisy at times ,because of the other guests in the hall,but that was not the hotels fault
The overall experience was good because of the staff and their willingness to accommodate any of your needs.The cost was a bit high for the accommodations and amenities
I do recommend this hotel but as I stated it is clean and comfortable not a luxury hotel for a business trip it was better than a chain hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear kev112012,

Please accept my apology for less than a perfect stay. It is true that since hurricane sandy the beaches on all of Ft. Lauderdale have narrowed considerably. We are working diligently with the City and State to find solution and the correct actions to re-nourish the beaches. It is also disappointing to read you did not enjoy the food especially since we get so many compliments.
As for cell phone service you are correct. The building was completed in 2005 and was built to withstand a category 4 hurricane and the walls (no steel) are 12” thick concrete making rooms facing the ocean difficult to generate a signal out.
It is encouraging to hear how our team members were accommodating to your needs and wishes.
Again, please accept my apologies. I am happy to say that we are in the process of renovating the rooms and providing wifi in our guest rooms. Hopefully this will improve all of our guest who do business while at the hotel.
Sincerely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Melisa along with her colleagues provided excellent service during our stay. We recommend the Pelican for a fun relaxing stay in Fort Lauderdale. The food was great and the service was better. Thanks Melissa!!!! Your the best in the entertainment class!!! Hope the Pelican keeps you for years to come. We can't imagine a visit and stay at the Pelican without your smiling face and service! Jen and Joey were also awesome delivering food and beverages to the beach. we can't wait to come back to the sun and fun of the Pelican. It is difficult to find great service that consistently exceeds your expectations. We travel globally and stay in man different hotels however great service requires extremely hard dedicated employees like Melissa to change our "pure service" outlook on the establishments where we stay. cheers David and Leslie

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear David S,

Thank you so much for your glowing trip advisor review and for mentioning so many of our team members that made your stay with us so special. A hotel is only as good as the service it provides and it was great to read about so many of our associates exceeding your expectations.

I know all our team members will enjoy reading your comments and I personally want to thank you for your business. I know I speak for all our associates when I say we are looking forward to your return.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Service good. Restairant good. Expensive. No heater. For this price customer satisfaction should perfect. Room 65 degrees. Had to wear a coat inside room to stay warm. Frustrating and infuriating. Staff did their best to help me get comfortable and sent an additional cotton blanket that was an almost intorerably heavy weight on the body. When I asked to cancel the 2nd night due to cold room they would not give me a refund. There was a large deep red stain in carpet(about 12") in the middle of the room. Would not advise staying during any cold spell in Fort Lauderdale. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and my house has never been as cold as that room was.
I am a world traveler and never have had this problem before.

Room Tip: Room on higher floor FREEZING in December.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear DonRobertoSanJuan,

Please accept my apologies for such a disappointing stay. As we normally get high remarks about our service and team members it very disappointing to read your review. I do apologize that you felt our pricing was too high and did not match what you expected. I can say that our pricing is in line with all the other hotels on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.
You are correct that we are removed from the strip of other hotels and restaurants. Our location provides more privacy and a less crowed beach but certainly understand that this was not what you were looking for on your visit.
Again, please accept my apologies and I certainly invite you to call me personally if you wish to provide more feedback.

San Juan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is on the beach, but far from restaurants, bars and shopping. The rooms are nice, but the floors look more like a motel than a hotel. The hotel is really average, but they charge a premium for parking ($28/day), dining and drinks!! We went for their "Happy Hour", which meant they took one dollar off their overpriced drinks. We paid $14 for a glass of wine and they did not even offer as much as a couple of peanuts! No wonder the bar was empty all the time. There are better choices in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DonRobertoSanJuan,

Bob Keesler

Been to Pelican Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!