“Coco Races @ the pool” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Coco Races @ the pool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

All in all, we had a great time staying at this facility. We are all from the Ft. Lauderdale area, but our stayed felt like we were on vacation because of the entire staff, specifically Michele, Kevin, Pat, and Marcelo. These four individuals really made us feel comfortable at all times. They were accommodating with our entire group, which included 2 young children. We had a great time, and we will definitely be coming back again soon to stay. Not only the adults in our group, but the kids as well, had a great time on our stay-cation!

Room Tip: The higher the better! Great view of Ft. Lauderdale, OCEAN VIEW!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear megan j,

Thank you for your review and your wonderful comments. It is great to read how many of our team members made you and your family’s stay special and welcoming. It always to great to hear from our local guests as you know all the choices you have and I personally want to thank you for choosing the Pelican Grand.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

1,794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a nice hotel. Not a 5 star resort There are a few draw backs. There are no spa services,such as massages. The beach is very narrow and at high tide there is almost no beach at all.Therefore I had to sit at the pool The staff is very friendly and helpful . The food is ok . The hotel clean and the maid service was good There is no cell service in the rooms,because of the steel old construction of the building
I was there on business so that was an issue. The business center has old computers which had issues.
The room was noisy at times ,because of the other guests in the hall,but that was not the hotels fault
The overall experience was good because of the staff and their willingness to accommodate any of your needs.The cost was a bit high for the accommodations and amenities
I do recommend this hotel but as I stated it is clean and comfortable not a luxury hotel for a business trip it was better than a chain hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear kev112012,

Please accept my apology for less than a perfect stay. It is true that since hurricane sandy the beaches on all of Ft. Lauderdale have narrowed considerably. We are working diligently with the City and State to find solution and the correct actions to re-nourish the beaches. It is also disappointing to read you did not enjoy the food especially since we get so many compliments.
As for cell phone service you are correct. The building was completed in 2005 and was built to withstand a category 4 hurricane and the walls (no steel) are 12” thick concrete making rooms facing the ocean difficult to generate a signal out.
It is encouraging to hear how our team members were accommodating to your needs and wishes.
Again, please accept my apologies. I am happy to say that we are in the process of renovating the rooms and providing wifi in our guest rooms. Hopefully this will improve all of our guest who do business while at the hotel.
Sincerely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Melisa along with her colleagues provided excellent service during our stay. We recommend the Pelican for a fun relaxing stay in Fort Lauderdale. The food was great and the service was better. Thanks Melissa!!!! Your the best in the entertainment class!!! Hope the Pelican keeps you for years to come. We can't imagine a visit and stay at the Pelican without your smiling face and service! Jen and Joey were also awesome delivering food and beverages to the beach. we can't wait to come back to the sun and fun of the Pelican. It is difficult to find great service that consistently exceeds your expectations. We travel globally and stay in man different hotels however great service requires extremely hard dedicated employees like Melissa to change our "pure service" outlook on the establishments where we stay. cheers David and Leslie

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear David S,

Thank you so much for your glowing trip advisor review and for mentioning so many of our team members that made your stay with us so special. A hotel is only as good as the service it provides and it was great to read about so many of our associates exceeding your expectations.

I know all our team members will enjoy reading your comments and I personally want to thank you for your business. I know I speak for all our associates when I say we are looking forward to your return.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Service good. Restairant good. Expensive. No heater. For this price customer satisfaction should perfect. Room 65 degrees. Had to wear a coat inside room to stay warm. Frustrating and infuriating. Staff did their best to help me get comfortable and sent an additional cotton blanket that was an almost intorerably heavy weight on the body. When I asked to cancel the 2nd night due to cold room they would not give me a refund. There was a large deep red stain in carpet(about 12") in the middle of the room. Would not advise staying during any cold spell in Fort Lauderdale. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and my house has never been as cold as that room was.
I am a world traveler and never have had this problem before.

Room Tip: Room on higher floor FREEZING in December.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear DonRobertoSanJuan,

Please accept my apologies for such a disappointing stay. As we normally get high remarks about our service and team members it very disappointing to read your review. I do apologize that you felt our pricing was too high and did not match what you expected. I can say that our pricing is in line with all the other hotels on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.
You are correct that we are removed from the strip of other hotels and restaurants. Our location provides more privacy and a less crowed beach but certainly understand that this was not what you were looking for on your visit.
Again, please accept my apologies and I certainly invite you to call me personally if you wish to provide more feedback.

San Juan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is on the beach, but far from restaurants, bars and shopping. The rooms are nice, but the floors look more like a motel than a hotel. The hotel is really average, but they charge a premium for parking ($28/day), dining and drinks!! We went for their "Happy Hour", which meant they took one dollar off their overpriced drinks. We paid $14 for a glass of wine and they did not even offer as much as a couple of peanuts! No wonder the bar was empty all the time. There are better choices in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear DonRobertoSanJuan,

Fernandina Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We are currently enjoying a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We were received by a friendly and conscientious staff. Just downloaded a new book to my Kindle with the free internet we receive. Enjoyed a delicious late lunch and expect to have an equally yummy breakfast. Lots of happy folks here tonight - unless their football team is on the losing side.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear brazvisitor,

Thank you so much for your trip advisor review. It is wonderful to read that you are enjoying yourself while you are here at the Pelican. I hope you will return soon and spend even more time with us. I also want to thank you for your kind words about the service you have received and want to thank you for your business.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We want to personal thank all the wonderful people that make our week stay the best vacation. In the bar, we would like to thank Jen, Melissa, Sanya, Paul, Pete, Rick, Myra, and Jackie. They gave us great service and made the best drinks. :) Especailly thanks to Melissa and Sanya that went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. We will be back next year because of them. Also Marcela, in the dining area waiting on us many times. He was always smiling and made us feel special and thanks to Gianni and Chris for being helpful. So we can't wait to come back to see all the amazing people at this beautiful resort.
Amy Hach/Kenny Hicks
Indianapolis / Room 314

Room Tip: Need to have an ocean view!!!!! Beautiful!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy1265,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so proud of our team members and you were so gracious to mention by name so many who made your week long vacation special. I know that all of our team members will enjoy reading your review.
We all hope to see you back with us real soon.

Bob Keesler

Been to Pelican Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!