“special” 5 of 5 stars

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our first stay at Pelican Grand Beach resort--everything was exceptional--
rooms were spotless, front desk extremely polite and helpful, parking attendants helpful. Happy hour on the veranda was relaxing . Our server Michael O'hara was helpful in suggesting things to do, places to go. Breakfast was very good with exceptional service. Hope to sty at this hotel again on our next visit to Fort Laudrerdale.

Room Tip: Ocean Front- Veranda - relaxing view very quiet - we were on the sixth floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear rocky g,

First please accept my apologies for the way you were treated and the feelings you had about how the details of your wedding were handled. I have to say this is very disappointing to read. I am very surprised as we get so many positive letters and review about our catering manager and the assistance she provides.
It is great to hear how our banquet manager was able to smooth things out and to make the day what you had hoped for in the end.
I do wish would give me a call so we can discuss further in order to improve our service.

1,806 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had an amazing wedding at the Pelican. It was the perfect setting and a beautiful venue. the food was amazing and everything was almost perfect. The only hiccup was the event coordinate for the Pelican, Janeth, was horrible to work with. We did not have a wedding coordinator and we were planning the whole thing ourselves from Boston, so we had a lot of questions on details we needed to cover (only questions about what the pelican offered and didnt offer). She would look at us like we were stupid and didnt even know half of the answers. Even if she didn't care about our wedding, she could have atleast acted like she did for the amount of money we were spending there. On the day of the wedding, it was very windy on the 11th floor and my father had to move most of the chairs himself and she just complained he was being difficult. she was rude and inconsiderate of our wedding. She did a pretty good job at making us feel like our wedding was just another day/dollar for her. Other than her, the experience was great. Chaz was extremely helpful and nice at the reception and made sure everything went great. a great place to have a wedding, just dont expect a pleasant or helpful event coordinator!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear rocky g,

Macomb, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The Food was Fantastic. Ashley the front desk manager was very helpful. Pretty much took care of anything I wanted, with a smile. Jen and Rick at the bar were great as well. These three employees stood out the most to me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Joe S,

Thank you for your review. It is great to read about our team members that made your stay special and gave you great service.
I certainly want to thank you for your business and I know I speak for all of our associates that we hope you will return soon.

Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Pelican and we can't wait to get back there again! I booked the trip through Expedia and it included a free room upgrade to an Ocean Front King Suite. From the moment you walk through the lobby doors you feel as if you've been transported to a tropical resort. The smells, the decor, it all seemed like we were far from a Ft. Lauderdale strip.

ROOM:
When we got to our room #518, I felt like we were in Key West. The room had so much charm. There was a separate livingroom that included another tv. We especially liked this touch, because we don't want to lay in bed at 7pm and watch tv. From there was the beautiful patio that overlooked the ocean. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean.

POOL:
Great pool and lazy river, both were heated I believe. We never had a problem getting chairs, but we also went out early in the morning. The staff at the pool will bring over towels and set them up on the chair for you. The lazy river was a lot of fun and my husband and I floated around for a good hour one day.

BEACH:
The beach is also great. There is staff down on the beach that will set up the chairs, towels, umbrellas whatever you need. AND there was even beverage and food service down there! You can't beat that!

RESTAURANTS:
We ate breakfast every morning at the North Ocean and it was delicious. The food ranged from healthy to totally unhealthy :) Whatever you were in the mood for, they could and would accomdate.
Lunch was always at Postcards, either in the bar or poolside. I highly recommend the turkey club.
Dinner we ate dinner at the North Ocean. We sat outside on the patio and although it was rather dark, it was still very enjoyable. I had the lobster tail with the risotto and my husband had the filet with aspargus. For dessert, we order the rum bread pudding. We actually ordered two, but only one came out. Which was great for us, because we were stuffed at that point and having our own would have put us into a food coma. It too was FABULOUS.
Snacks at Emporium. My husband is an ice cream fanatic!!! He literally ate two hot fudge sundaes with peanut butter on our first day there. He had ice cream every day and was never disappointed.

GYM:
Although I didn't see it on the website anywhere, there is a gym on the 10th floor. It's small, but actually has decent equipment. I was able to get a full body work out it in. A leg machine would be nice though.

STAFF:
I cannot say enough about the staff at this resort. I have been in the Hospitality Industry for 11 years and the ONLY other place where we experienced this kind of service was in Cancun. I've seen other people on here say the staff was nice. I personally think that is an understatement. Every member of the staff was not only nice, but treated you like you were a friend. Everyone said hello and chatted with you a bit and it was genuine. They were asking you how you were or that they liked your bag, because they had to, but because they wanted to.

OVERALL:
Yes the food was rather pricey as were the drinks, but it's expected at a resort. We never had to leave the place for anything and that was our goal. We will definitely be back next November, there is no doubt about that. Hopefully, we will stay a little longer. Great job Pelican!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bethany L,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is great to read all the terrific things you had to say about the hotel and our team members. I know I speak for all of us when I say that we will all be looking for you next November on your return visit.
Again, thank you for the wonderful review and thank you so much for choosing the Pelican Grand.

Regards,
Middleboro, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel was lovely. The staff there were great. very friendly and willing to help out any way possible. Melissa and Rick are great bartenders, Rick has a great sense of humor and Melissa is just so lovable, with that always smiling face. Kat was joy to meet, looked forward to seeing her at the pool, or the beach serving lunch and yummy cocktails. Would go back for sure!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear beth857,

It is great to read your comments on our team members and you were very kind to mention several by name that made your stay special. I want to thank you for your business and to say we are all looking forward to your return and again serving you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel has a wonderful colonial/tropical feel to it. White paneling and decorative fans everywhere with an overall feeling of height and an open layout that lets the ocean breeze in. Outdoor pool and beachside location made it so that you could essentially spend the entire vacation at the hotel. Staff were also very helpful and accomodating. As title says, this comes at a price though.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear SiasJordon,

Thank you for your trip advisor review. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I can assure you that as far as our pricing is concerned you will find it very competitive with all of Ft. Lauderdale beach.
I do want to thank you for your business and certainly hope that you will return.

Paducah, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Recently spent three nights here renting through a VRBO owner. Loved the rocking chairs and big verandah. Can't beat being right on the beach, which is different from most Fort Lauderdale beach hotels (you have to cross AIA). Parking is $28 a night plus taxes. Everyone was very friendly. Was expecting the resort to be bigger but that made it cozy. Didn't like seeing room service trays outside in the hallways for extended periods of time. Food and drink expensive as well. We enjoyed talking with Melissa in Postcards. Nice to have beach chairs, umbrellas and towels provided for free.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear jdvmd,

Glad overall you enjoyed your stay in one of the non hotel units. It is disappointing to read you thought prices were high as I can assure you they are in line with all other hotels and restaurants on the beach. I do hope you will return and next time rent through the hotel to receive all the benefits of a hotel guest.

Bob Keesler

Been to Pelican Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!