“Amazing Sunday Brunch!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
“Amazing Sunday Brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This was my family's second time at the Pelican Grand Beach Resort. The Sunday brunch was delicious and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
Dear WorldTraveler34530,

Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and Sunday Brunch. We are very proud of our Sunday Brunch having been named Best Brunch in Palm Beach and Broward by the New Times as well as our mention in the 36 hours travel column in the New York Times when they reviewed Ft. Lauderdale.

Regards,
Bob Keesler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stayed for one week, in fact, leave on Sept. 3rd. For the most part the resort is what it appears to be. It is very clean, rooms are spacious, majority of staff are pleasant and greet you with a smile regardless of the time of day. It was also a wonderful treat to have beachside and poolside towels available at all times along with individuals willing to find you beach chairs and an umbrella. Cleaning staff are efficient and are willing to ensure that you have a wonderful stay. BUT, it is not perfect! First, don't make the mistake of taking a small portable cooler with you to the pool deck (used on the beach) as there was one particular female staff member that will jump all over you for "breaking the rules." Now remember, this is now off season and there were a total of 8 people at the pool (including my party of 4). Turns out you can't bring your bottle of water to the pool as then you can't be charged $4 for their bottle of water! Construction is occurring on some of the floors which normally would not be a problem except when, as a paying customer, I am paying to sleep in not be woken at 7:30 a.m. to the sound of construction workers talking outside my room, dragging and turning on their shop vac to clean, dropping materials on the floor. If I wanted to listen to construction workers I could have saved myself a lot of money and stayed home! Food was good with breakfast and lunch being the most reasonably priced. For a family the dinner prices are out of the question and you will go elsewhere. If you don't have a car, take the city transit and get an all day pass. This was well worth it and fun. The shuttle that is available at the hotel is very expensive to utilize and the driver decides what he "feels" like charging and trust me, this is not cheap. Learned after the first day, the hard way! Beds, at least in our room, the matresses are in need of being changed as they are very, very soft as are the pillows. Nice place, but not sure if I would make the trip back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor that is not currently having any construction occur on it!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Dear LC663,

It is great that you took the time to let us know about your stay via Trip Advisor before you left today. It is my understanding that you did leave happy and satisfied even with the few opportunities that presented themselves during your stay.
Nevertheless, I do want to apologize for the noise that the plumbing crew made in the morning. I hope you realized that we did discuss this with them immediately and hopefully you saw this improvement during the remainder of your stay.
As for the cooler you are correct that they are not allowed on the pool deck and hopefully I can explain. First of all, while your cooler may have contained water most do not and we are certainly responsible for the amount of alcohol that guest’s consume in our public areas. We take this responsibility very seriously as we don’t want someone drinking to excess and getting into their car and injuring themselves or someone else and the only way we can monitor this is through our own sell of beverages . Secondly, you are correct in that part of our business is selling food and beverage. While there are no restrictions on what you can consume or do within your guest room we do not allow outside food and beverage to be consumed in any of our public areas of the hotel. I hope this answers your questions of why this is not allowed.
I do want to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Let me preface this review with the fact that we travel a lot. We have stayed at top hotels across the globe, including the #1 resort in Hawai'i, Waipouli Beach Resort, The Grand Californian at Disneyland, the Waldorf in NYC and many other high end hotels. The Pelican Grand (or PG as we like to call it) ranks up there with all of these.

The hotel itself is very quaint. The rooms are nice sized with a Key West feel to the decor and very clean as well. We stayed on the 8th floor, room 820 to be exact, a two room ocean front suite that was more than ample for the 4 of us. The views from the room were breathtaking as you can see from the pictures and the common areas were clean and easy to move around in.

The restaurants have good food, a limited menu though but everything we ate was very tasty and fresh. They have a nice zero entry pool with plenty of lounge chairs and the lazy river is just that, a place to enjoy the weather and the water as well. It was fun for the kids to float on the tubes while mom and dad had cocktails by the poolside. The lobby and areas in the front are nicely decorated and give you that Florida feel. There is also a very nice gift shop and Ice Cream parlor on site that is great for that afternoon cooling snack. The hotel is also completely smoke free, another great plus.

But what makes this hotel a 5 star resort in my well traveled opinion, is the staff. The people that work at this hotel, everyone single one of them I met, from the front desk to the room service peeps, are all about customer service. Whomever is in charge of the staff and the way they treat the guests, could give a seminar to Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and all the big chains, as they all fall short of the PG's level of service. They are not only knowledgeable about the hotel but the surrounding areas as well and offer tips to make your stay even more enjoyable. Alex, our bellman, was very helpful thru our whole stay and went out of his way to help us.

To illustrate the staff's dedication to customer service, this is what happened after we left the hotel. My 12 year old daughter had saved her money to buy a very nice bracelet from the gift shoppe that she cherished on the trip. Upon returning home, we realized that she had left this in the room when we checked out. Once home, I called the hotel and spoke with Liesa from housekeeping who stated they did not find the bracelet. I figured it was lost forever and expected nothing more. At this time, Liesa asked me what it looked like and I told her we had purchased it in their gift shoppe. She then went to the gift shoppe, got me on the phone and asked me to describe it. She picked out a similar one and at no charge, mailed it to my daughter directly. This to me was astonishing. It was not their fault the bracelet was gone and the fact that they would replace it at their expense was amazing to me in this day and age. If that was a Marriott (and this has happened there too) she would have never seen it again.

Liesa and the rest of the awesome staff have made this hotel our home away from home in Florida. I am now a loyal PG customer and will be returning soon to enjoy not only the splendor of the resort itself but the wonderful people that work there as well. Hats off to the management of this hotel for making it a truly unique and absolutely relaxing place to stay, knowing all your needs will be taken care of with attention to detail and customer service. I am more than impressed with this resort and can't say enough good things about it.

I do have two minor issues that I will bring up, neither would keep me from returning at all but wanted to list them as I know the hotel management reads these reviews. First, the water pressure in the shower is not very good and perhaps changing the shower heads could help. Secondly, the WiFi service is only available in the lobby due to issues with the hotel's construction, though there is a network connection in the room. It would be nice to be able to sit on the balcony and look out at the water while surfing the net but that is not yet able to be done. However, I do own a communications company and can absolutely help with that. I thought about this the whole time I was there and have a meagerly priced and simple solution to this. I have read other reviews where people have mentioned this as well. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in correcting this as I'm sure we can work something out.

Thank you all for a wonderful stay, see you again soon!!!

I can't say

Dear Jbellon,

Thank you for such a wonderful review and sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. It is great to read a review from someone who has traveled the world and had so many experiences. We are looking forward to your return.

Sincerely
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We chose to celebrate our 20th anniversary with a "romance" package at the Pelican. We enjoyed a lovely and VERY spacious king room with a magnificent view and balcony, and loved the separate front room with couches, tables, & chairs. While this was a romantic getaway, we could certainly see returning with our two kids for a future visit - the way the room is divided (the front room has a door, and there are blinds along the glass wall separating the two spaces) would afford all of us ample space & privacy. The hotel has not been recently updated or decorated (older decor, older, not flatscreen, tvs), but it is clean and spacious with an Old Florida charm in the fabrics and palm fans, etc.

The disappointments: our package included champagne & strawberries, which were not delivered when we checked in (around 3), nor within an hour of our requesting them (around 6). After a lovely evening out (off-site), we returned late to discover the champagne in a bucket of cool water (which must have been ice hours earlier) and sweating, gooey chocolate-covered strawberries. Not too appetizing. Our package also included breakfast, which was mediocre and served by a dour, inattentive server (Marvin). When we mentioned our dismay to the front desk manager the next day, we were also disappointed by his response (for the most part, he made excuses). Ultimately, we did receive a bit of a reduction to our bill to compensate for the wasted strawberries & champange. We also found the beach guys to be inattentive.

The delights: the property is right on the beach, and there is no additional charge for lounges/umbrellas. The room is super comfy, as is the bed. The "lazy river" is a treat. The bar and pool staff, as well as the valets and most front desk staff, were very attentive and helpful. The drinks are poured with a tight fist, but our arrival during happy hour got us a two-fer-one deal, so it worked out fine.

Overall, the Pelican is a lovely place, with uneven staffing and only mediocre food service, but we would consider a return visit.

Dear rssings,

Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent stay with us and for sharing the good and the not so good with the Trip Advisor community. First I am glad that you enjoyed your room and found the hotel to be pleasing overall. I am disappointed to hear about the delivery of your amenity, which is an important component of this package.
We have already reviewed this with our team and have placed new procedures in place to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept my apologies for this and please feel free to contact me directly as I would love to make this up to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon and hopefully welcoming you and your family back.
Again, thank you for letting us know about your stay and for helping us in our efforts to improve.

Regards,
Brockton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We booked an "oceanview" room, which was simply spectacular! Felt like we were right IN the ocean! Views were incredible! We had a panoramic view of ocean on almost THREE sides! Also had a balcony! Just beautiful! Room was VERY large and so was bathroom. Great to have a microwave and refrigerator in room, table and chairs for dining.
River pool was a lot of fun for us, especially me, being a non-swimmer. Regular pool was a "walk-in" pool and very relaxing. Fabulous to just walk right onto the beach where you were supplied with lounge chairs and umbrellas.
We ate at both restaurants, and both were superb! And there is an ice cream shop!
Beautiful long porch with high-back rocking chairs to watch the ocean.
Everything was fabulous! Would definitely go there again!

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanview room.
Dear JAO738,

You are terrific to spread the word about the Pelican Grand via Trip Advisor. I know I speak for our entire team when I say we are happy you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will be back to see us soon.

Sincerely
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

The beach, pool, lazy river, room, and most of the service were all terrific. We appreciated the free chairs, towels, and umbrellas on the beach. One Naples hotel charges $60 per day for them. Problems were as follows: The movie we were watching went off half-way through it on Friday night. NO movies all weekend! We were told that it was fixed when it wasn't. We were told the satellite company was working on it, etc., etc. When it came back on late Sunday night, we watched the rest of the movie and were charged $19 for it (taxes, fees, etc). I complained and they removed the charge. We had a rude waiter at breakfast one day. The maid left no bath towels on Sunday. Parking is expensive--$24! Most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We would go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
bkeesler, General Manager at Pelican Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Dear Emily M,

Thank you for your comments and sharing them on Trip Advisor. First, let me say I am happy that overall your stay was pleasant and you recognized that most hotels on Ft. Lauderdale Beach all charge for the use of umbrellas and beach chairs; something that we feel our guest are entitled to without an extra charge.
I do however apologize that we did have technical difficulties with the Lodgenet movie system. Unfortunately it was out of our control and a problem we had to wait for this vendor to correct. Certainly I am glad to hear this was removed from your bill. As for our valet charge I do want to mention that every hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach charges for Valet of which ours is the lowest price on the beach.
As for the housekeeper not leaving towels and your experience one morning for breakfast let assure you that this has been addressed with our team. These last two issues are unacceptable and I can assure you that changes have already been put into place so no one else will experience this.
Again, I want thank you for your comments and for being so frank and honest in assisting us in our efforts of always making the Pelican Grand a better place.

Northern NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

When my wife and I decided to spend our anniversary weekend in Fort Lauderdale I began my search for the place to stay. Having been to Fort Lauderdale many times before, I was quite familiar with many of the top spots. I know that my wife loves being on the water and most of the top places are on A1A, across the street from the beach. In my mind that means walking across a busy road to a public beach, fighting for a good spot and being overrun by the hoardes staying in or near the beach along with the many daily locals. When I saw that Pelican had its own beach, it was a no-brainer. The place is nice, friendly people, good food and drink and most of the service is very good. Valet parking is painfully slow and not cheap at $24 per day plus the tips. The waiter on the beach our first day was in a daze and if you could find him, be sure to order about 30 minutes before you want a beverage. The server the 2nd day was a star and she did make up for day 1. The rooms are spacious; we had an oceanview, king suite with a great view. I need to tell you that if you are looking for fresh new furnishings or a redone, modern bath, this is not the place for you. The bath and shower were very small and in need of some work. I understand that being oceanside takes its toll on buildings but the issues are well beyond being weather beaten. Time to invest some money Pelican owners.All in all, we would return.

Room Tip: See review. Oh, cell phones barely work on property, ATT or Verizon. Its a known issue
Dear Isacpa,

Thank you for your review and sharing your comments with the Trip Advisor community. Overall I am glad that you enjoyed your stay for your anniversary. I do want to thank you for your comments about the slow beach service on your first day and the comments to our owners (always appreciated).
You can rest assured that your comments will be discussed with our team as we are always striving to improve our service and the physical plant of the hotel.
Thank you for your business and we hope you will return soon.

Bob Keesler

Been to Pelican Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!