“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Intracostal

You added Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Intracostal to your Saves list
Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Intracostal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3333 NE 32nd Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (Formerly Il Lugano Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #9 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Toledo, Ohio
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

My husband and I attended a weddding in Fort Lauderdale and chose the Il Lugano as it was less than a mile from the reception site. We stayed for 3 nights in a Deluxe Room. The hotel has a very new, clean and modern feel. Our room was very comfortable. House keeping was excellent. The staff were all very accomodating. We used the shuttle service with no problems. The only problem we ran into is when we check out at 6:00 am the front desk advised me we had been charged $300 for smoking in the room (neither my husband nor I smoke). I was shocked and upset. The manager was not in so early in the morning but by 10:00 am I spoke with the manager over the phone and the charge was withdrawn.

There are several places to eat and drink within walking distance. There is a liquor store and Walgreens withing walking distance.

If you are in this area you should try Pan E Dolce, an Italian Bakery. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. I felt as if I was in Italy again. The Bakery is less than a half mile from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

We were really impressed with the hotel & staff at IL Lugano from arrival to departure. When we drove up in the taxi and gave our name to the gentleman outside the hotel, he called into the front desk of our arrival. Check in was quick and easy (Becky) did a great job. The rooms are awesome, clean & beautiful. We stayed on our pre & post cruise trip and the first nights stay was looking out over the intercoastal waterways, very calming view. The lights over the water was very pretty that evening. Balcony had two chairs & table which was very nice. The accomodations are first class (always love the robes) & you have nice equipped kitchen & laundry. The Escalade is available for them to take you within 3 mile radius (we tipped when dropped off & then again called for pick up). Our room on post cruise arrival was even more awesome. They were going to try and put us in first room but people chose to stay longer so they put us in a king suite. WOW. Separate bedroom & living/dining/kitchen area. The security at this hotel as well as the entrance to our room made us feel very secure. Walked to close stores & variety of restaurants. EVERYONE always smiled and very pleasant. This hotel knows how to do rooms up right (very close to the level of Atlantic Hotel in Fort Lauderdale that we had stayed at prior) and employees take their job serious and very friendly. It is a little off away from some things but would I stay again, you bet.

• Liked — The cleaniness, price & staff
  • Disliked — There was nothing not to like
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

I just spent a night at the Il Lugano and could not have been happier with my experience. The hotel is new and beautiful inside and out. My room was a large studio with an intracoastal waterway view and had a sizable balcony for lounging. The room was very clean, had a comfortable king bed, sofa, desk, small kitchen with fridge and microwave and a washer/dryer. The rate I paid was very low, especially considering it is high season in Florida, so I was especially pleased with the value. Included in the rate was a complementary continental breakfast served in their swanky Todd English restaurant (can't remember the name). The spread was very generous and service was prompt and attentive. The front desk staff was also very helpful and polite. Overall, a great experience and one I would gladly repeat.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I am surprised at some of the other reviews. I thought this hotel was better than other luxury hotels such as the Four Seasons, and more spacious than comprable hotels.
The rooms were large and very comfortable. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and the decorating was soothing and contemporary. In all, I thought it was an excellent and relaxing stay and I did not feel nickel-and-dimed as internet and breakfast were complimentary, as were other minor services. The room had a very nice kitchen area complete with full-sized fridge and dishwasher.
I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I had no problem with valet parking, and a continental breakfast was available and fully stocked until late morning. I did not see the pool, and there was no room service menu in the room; however, the concierge was very helpful and nice in helping us find a restaurant. It's not a resort hotel, but rather a nice business trip oasis or romantic weekend boutique hotel. There was a beautiful view from the top floor balcony. It's not in the middle of the downtown area, but it's a short drive and a quiet alternative to being in the middle of everything. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Service, decorating, cleanliness, comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

We stayed at Il Lugano for 3 nights and made our reservation based soley on the reviews provided here. We booked our room through Expedia (King Premier with Intracoastal Water View).

Check-in went fairly smoothly (after 4 pm); however, upon entry into our room, our "water view" was that of an industrial fan on the roof of the building next door. One literally had to lean over the balcony rail to see the water. Upon calling the front desk, I was treated as a nuisance and told that this room had the appropriate view and that no other rooms were available in the same room class. We wound up taking a room that was one class lower to get the view that we were promised. The suggestion that the previous room should be listed a partial water view was treated with a surprising degree of hostility by the assistant manager. Despite the smaller room booking for $40 less per night, I was offered one night of complimentary parking ($25) because they "had no idea what Expedia charged me for the room". Not wishing to take up even more time with pettiness, we accepted. We were told on several occasions by staff that booking through Expedia was a significant disadvantage to us due to the fact that a room was guaranteed but not necessarily the correct booking class. There was definitely a "second class citizen" feel to our stay.

The room was very comfortable but not quite luxurious. The bathroom was a disappointment with a very small tub/shower. The view of the intracoastal waterway in the second room was very nice. Housekeeping comes early but was happy to return later in the day. The location is somewhat remote to most shopping and restaurants, which could be a positive or negative depending upon your preference.

There are substantial service issues throughout the hotel that reduce the rating of this hotel to well below that of 4 stars in my opinion. In addition to the confrontational style of the management, valet parking was a true adventure. Four of the five times that we requested our car, it was not available and no one had even gotten the message to retrieve the car. There was no room service menu in the room and we were (again) treated as a nuisance when we requested one. Service within the restaurant was in total chaos. The manager finally found that no wait staff had come to our table after 30 minutes. I will put in a plug for the hand-pulled mozerella prepared table-side as it was delicious.

All-in-all Il Lugano is 3.5 star accomodation with 2 star service. Some of this may be due to the hotel being newer but, by now, many of these bugs should be worked out. We are unlikely to return for a second visit or recommend the hotal to our friends and family.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Before booking this hotel I read the reviews, I should have know that they were too good to be true. Albeit the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and clean. However this is definately not the type of hotel that you bring small children to visit. The pool is situated at the side of the hotel; they obivously felt obligated to put one in. It is very tiny and there is NO sun by the pool at all. This hotel prides themselves on their Escalade service where they will drive you anywhere within a 3 mile radious. This is a great service if they are not busy and if they are available to pick you up when you are ready. I was very disappointed with the staff at his hotel. They really didn't seem to care. All they wanted to do was put us in that Escalade. They wanted to take us to the beach and to another hotel to swim. I found this totally unacceptable as I paid to stay at their hotel. We checked out after the first night and not one person even asked why or if there was something they could do to make us stay. There was no breakfast available and this was also suppose to be part of our stay. We spent the rest of our vacation at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. where I cannot say enough good things about.

• Disliked — the misinformation on their website
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

I went to the Lugano to enjoy a few days in the sun all by myself, away from the northern snowstorms in December 2008.

I found a terrific rate on the internet and for the money I paid, I found it to be an excellent value. However, if I had paid the amount listed on some other websites, I think I might have found it to be only an average value.

The hotel is quite new and so everything was fresh and unstained and in lovely condition. One "downside" of its newness, however, was that there were a few kinks that needed to be ironed out, since sometimes the staff -- while very friendly and obliging -- seemed to be at rather a loss.

The location is nothing special, definitely, and while the Escalade service is a welcome one, if I were to stay here again in the future, I'd rent a car. One feels very much out of the way from the best shopping, beaches and restaurants of Fort Lauderdale. If the Escalades are available then that's terrific I often had to wait (and wait... and wait...) for one and I'd rather have just driven myself. If you can get a good rate on a rental car, do that and then park in the lot facing the hotel: much cheaper than hotel parking.

The entire Lugano only has 2 Escalades and during my stay, one was often out doing marketing for the hotel, so that left only 1 Escalade to transport a whole hotel's worth of guests! They could definitely have used 2 more Escalades but of course this would drive up the prices on the hotel, so I think the best solution is to rent your own car.

The hotel pool would be lovely in very hot months, when one is trying to escape from the heat. It runs along the length of the side of the hotel, so is almost always in the shade. It's heated, but not what I would call warm. I'm not much of one for lying in the sun, so I did my lengths quite happily and then went indoors, but I imagine for the other guests who were hoping for a tan in December, it was disappointing to see a pool that was always in the shadows.

I stayed in an ocean-side room and the view was good, if not great. I saw plenty of rooftops, a parking lot and some peaks of ocean in the distance: perfectly acceptable for the price I paid.

My room was bright, clean, large, with a comfortable bed, air conditioning that functioned well and a good TV. Housekeeping was sweet if not always completely on the ball; I'd often find myself with 2 conditioners and no shampoo, for example.

So, all in all, I'd absolutely recommend this hotel IF you get a good rate and IF you rent your own car.

• Liked — Cleanliness, freshness, friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Intracostal? Share your experiences!