“Nice Hotel For Couples Only” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #16 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
boston, ma
“Nice Hotel For Couples Only”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at the W Hotel the day before we left on a cruise and got a great deal through Priceline. The hotel was very upscale and modern. I would say it was very european. We stayed on the 12th floor and we had a balcony with a view of Ft. Lauderdale Beach right across the street. The room was big enough, plenty of closet space. The Bathroom is very strange. There is a glass wall in the tub that looks into the bedroom. Totally clear. This is great for couples but if you want privacy this is not for you. I don't quite understand why they designed it that way. This is a great hotel for a younger crowd, singles. Not somewhere you want to stay with your kids. It was convenient to everything and worked for us for a 1 night stay. it is also very expensive for drinks, etc. so make sure you pack a corkscrew and bring your own wine/beer. We ate at two great places. Highly recommend Coconuts for lunch. One street over and overlooks a Marina. You can dine outside and my husband said he had the best Mahi Mahi sandwich he ever had. That night we at at Casablanca. Nice restaurant on the boulevard about a 5 minute walk from hotel. Had breakfast at Spazzio. Food was good service was horrible as we sat for 15 minutes waiting for someone to come over and wait on us only after I almost tripped a waiter to get his attention. Was actually on the phone with Coconuts to see if they served brunch because we were about to walk out.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We stayed 4 nights. I am a platinum SPG member, so we had an upgrade to a very nice ocean view-cool corner room. People at front desk were nice. The gym is well equipped and clean. The problems : the pool. We went to Florida to take advantage of the sun and warm temperature. In this kind of travel, the hotel's pool is very important. Well, we were very disappointed.

First of all, the water is not heated. Since the nights were not that warm, the water temperature was less than 70 F (21 C), which is too cold and not what you expect from a hotel that charges more than 300 $ a night.

Second, we were not really satisfied with the quality of the food served at the pool restaurant. Of course, one does not expect filet mignon or fancy dishes. But the burgers were average and the french fries... cold. We also tried the salads... average too.

Third, it appears that few employees were in charge of collecting the plates. Thus, after lunch, the pool area looked almost like a dump, with birds eating unfinished food and paper napkins all over the place since it was windy. The first day, we thought that maybe it was a once time "faux pas"... but on the 4th day, we came to the conclusion it was not.

Finally, the general feeling was not what we expected from a W hotel. We figured that maybe it's because the hotel is just too big so it cannot achieve the trendy/cool/cozy feeling one would expect from the W branch.

We went to Fort Lauderdale a month earlier, and stayed at the Westin, which is literally few meters away from the W. True, the room was probably not as fancy. However, the hotel has a beautiful heated pool, people working at the pool area were nicer and much more professional, and the room rate was cheaper.

New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Good Location, right across from the beach. Walking distance to plenty of restaurants.
The whole place was Edgy. (in a good way) Lobby on the 4th floor. Room was fantastic. Loved the shower! (See through into the bedroom- shutters for privacy)
Employees were very friendly and helpful. Thank you for a great stay.

While we appreciated the “free” shuttle ride, we were a little put off by the hard sell car commercial we felt we had to listen too along the way to our destination.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We visited W in early march of this year and I must say the hotel's staff was very friendly and the hotel was located in a great spot. The room was very nice, the balcony and view were awesome. The food was divine at Steak954.

While the whole team was great, a special thanks to Jill D. who helped us for this stay and also for tours recommendations. Jill you are simple the best!

Thanks again W,

David

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I decided to have a night away (even though we live here) and we could not have been more impressed. The staff at the W really know and understand how to keep their customers happy. Anytime we called the front desk, they were pleasant and extremely helpful. They were willing to do anything to make their customers happy. It was refreshing to see such amazing customer service.
The room was mind blowing as well. We walked into the big king bed that was facing 2 large glass doors that showed us the ocean and the Intracoastal! The bathroom was its own separate room that also had amazing views. There was a balcony that wrapped around the entire room and we were able to sit out there and enjoy the gorgeous weather.
If you are in this area, I highly recommend paying a visit to this hotel!
Also, we went to the restaurant (954 Steak) and it was one of the best (if not the best) experiences at a steak house for us. The food was delicious!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I stayed at the W in fort lauderdale during president's day weekend and i had an awesome experience! If you are looking to spend as long as possible at the beach this is the place to be! The hotel is wonderful, the rooms are modern and the staff is really friendly. Bruno, fromthe cafe, helped me to find a little french crepe house to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and we had a memorable night!! The only problem we had was to find chairs at the pool on sunday.
My only suggestion is to have better signs because with the 2 towers it gets confusing sometimes!!

• Stayed February 2011
Shediac, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

I have travelled numerous times but I have to admit this is the best hotel that I have stayed in. I arrived very late in the night to checked in. The front desk clerk advised me that my request for my king size bed room was not possible but instead I was upgraded complimentary to a 3 room and full kitchen. When we opened our door on the 12 floor the only words out of our mouth was NO, NO, NOT True, this can't be the room. We had 3 patio door overlooking partial ocenfront and a view overlooking Fort Lauderdale. This room was not a hotel room but a condo. This was amazing. During our 3 night stay every time we would meet an employee of the W they would be very friendly and everyone would tell us to enjoy our vacation. The employees bend over backwords to make sure that our stay was incredible. I read some reviews here and I have to say I was worried when priceline advised me that I was staying at the W Fort Lauderdale, now I am just so very happy that my last 3 nights this month after our cruise that we'll be back to finish our vacation at the W Fort Lauderdale. WOW WOW WOW.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!