“Don't go there on Fridays or Saturdays” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Bruges, Belgium
“Don't go there on Fridays or Saturdays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

As such this is great hotel, although a little over the top. (Honestly, who calls housekeeping a "room designer". W stands for WEIIRD, that's clear.
I checked in on a Saturday night. After searching for the reception desk for a while (it's on the 3rd floor), I had to scream to the lady behind the counter, because the music in the living room (that's W talk for "lobby"), was so loud. Apparently they do it every Friday and Saturday night). Indeed, on Sunday and Monday, the W was what I expected: a design hotel for yuppies, a little zen.
The restaurant 953 was great, and the jelly fish aquarium, well.... Weird.!
One last thing : the internet connection was expensive ($14). Why is it that expensive hotels charge for internet, and inexpensive ones offer it for free?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Our stay at the W Fort Lauderdale was very nice. So, don't blow the review's title out of proportion. If you are considering the W Fort Lauderdale, it is just important to consider what you are looking for in a hotel. If you are looking for trendy, this is a good choice, but probably only if you can get a good rate. If you like 5 star luxury, you will find better choices in the area.

The service that we experienced during our stay was always friendly and helpful. The front desk staff worked with us at check in to make sure that all of our special requests were accomodated. The pool staff was also great. Just make sure that you get out there early if you want a place to sit on the weekends because both pools get preyy full. The valet service ($31.80 per night) was very efficient even on the heavy traffic periods.

The room was clean, well appointed, and of average dimensions. The bed was reasonably comfortable. Unfortunately, the faucet in our shower was not functioning properly, but this was only a minor nuisance. You will find everything that you might expect in a hotel of this caliber: safe, iron, robes, hair dryer, nice toiletries, etc.

That said there were also a few things that might make you consider staying someplace else in Fort Lauderdale. On Friday and Saturday night, the hotel is loud. We were on the 15th floor, and the noise from below was enough to keep me awake at 2am. The all-glass bathrooms might be a bit much for more bashfull travellers. Finally, the $30 valet-only parking is a little steep.

There are so many great lodging choices in Fort Laurderdale, and that is the reason that I would pass on the W if I had to do it all over again.

Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I had originally booked a room for 4 nights at the W in South Beach. You can read my review over there. This is important because I can compare W hotels. So the South Beach W was a nightmare, but I still wanted to stat at a W hotel, so I drove up to Fort Lauderdale. It's a pretty quick trip. So we go to the front desk and tell them our experience at the SOBE W. They got someone to give us a tour of the room types. We ended up choosing a 2 bedroom condo. They also gave us a great rate. The room is AMAZING! It's like being at home. The only complaint I would have is that the W in SOBE has much better showers, but that is my only complaint. The staff was wonderful the whole time. Very attentive to us and very accomodating. Never condescending or snooty, just a very great staff. Whatever, Whenever was given to us here. The living room is very nice and fun. Couches everywhere and great drinks. The outdoor area is great as well. Outdoor sofas with a fire pit. There are 2 pools on location. Wet East is the large pool and has a lot more action. There are stairs that go down to the living room in the middle of the pool. You can see the people in the water as you head down. You can also see the bottom of the pool from the living room. Wet West is more secluded and smaller. We spent more time in Wet West due to the seclusion. They have another bar on site called Whiskey Blue, we did not go there so I cannot comment. Their restaurant onsite is Steak 954. This place is AMAZING. I think I had the best meal I ever had and it's pretty reasonably priced considering the quality. The sides are huge. We each got a steak and shared 3 sides. We were stuffed. They have this moon jellyfish tank in the inside part. It's really relaxing watching the jellyfish swim around. They also have outdoor dining. Everything about this hotel was magnificent. I cannot praise them enough. They turned a terrible W experience in SOBE to a fantastic one in FLL.

miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have stayed at W hotels and have always had a wonderful experience. However, the W in Ft. Lauderdale has now put W hotels at the top of my list. The design is stunningly beautiful -- with a lobby lounge that is illuminated by sunlight filtering in through the pool above. It truly creates the illusion of being under the sea. The tranquility set the tone for my whole experience there. The rooms are minimal, yet luxurious -- furnished with clean lined furniture, spa-like natural materials, and super comfy all white bedding. The views from the rooms and the pool are breathtaking. The pool is nicely heated (a big plus) and the spa a complete delight.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed with some friends here for a conference last week, and it was an amazing experience.
- We arrived at 7 am (red-eye flight), and the staff was able to place us in a room right away, many hours before their advertised check-in time, which I thought was very nice of them.
- The location of the hotel is excellent - it's right on the beach, but a part of the beach that was never crowded. However, if you just walked a block or so toward the restaurants, you could have dinner/drinks at a number of restaurants, but also the beach then would get really crowded and nasty.
- If you prefer the pool, it is also excellent, with people that were a bit too trendy for us (all those abs and fake boobs), but at least it was entertaining. They had a dj spinning one of the days by the pool.
- Those Bliss bath products are amazing and replaced daily.
- The concierge was great - we asked for a recommendation for dinner, and not only did he recommend an excellent place, but when we got there he had called ahead and ordered a small salmon appetizer for us, which I thought was a very nice touch!
- They do have this europop type of music piping in in all the public areas, which was a bit annoying at first, but we succumbed to it eventually.
- They also have kind of a cool club/lounge downstairs - we went on a Saturday night, and the dj playing was pretty awesome.
- We had brunch at the restaurant on the premises - it's a little pricey, but not totally crazy (omelettes about $12, eggs benedict $16)

I had an awesome time, and I'm definitely staying here next year (if I can swing it.)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

There were so many odd and disorganized occurrances, that I feel management can not get a handle on this huge and strangely designed hotel.
I arrived at the W to find that my reservation had been given to someone else, even though I had a printed record of it.
Bathroom was dirty and the bath/shower had nothing to hold on to with glass on one side and a shower curtain on the other. A slip and fall would have sent me through a pane of glass.
I was locked out of my room twice (many others in my party were also locked out), wake up call was forgotton, room service arrived an hour late, elevators were difficult to get after 3 pm in the afternoon and I received a bill for $400 that was under another name and room number, with my address.
Also very expensive to eat anywhere in this hotel. Chicken breast on a roll with small side salad was $27 at Steak. Bar food is grossly overpriced!
They charge $14 for an Internet connection - wired or wireless.
I left an item behind in my room and I am still waiting for someone to call me back!
All of these things are cumulative and I will never stay here again. Try the Hilton or the Sheraton.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Sudbury, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

We stayed at the W Hotel for two nights post cruise. The hotel was a little too "trendy" for us. We definitely did not feel like "W" people. The worse part of the experience was waiting for our room. While we did not expect that a room would be available when we arrived at the hotel at 10am, it felt totally unreasonable to have to wait until after 4 pm to get into a room. We spent the day on the beach and kept checking back every couple of hours. We felt like we were annoying the desk clerk each time we checked or asked to have access to our bags. A small compensation would have been appreciated. We had an ourtrageously overpriced drink at the bar - although it was the best strawberry mojito I've ever had! We sat outside on the patio to drink it and we were driven in by an attention seeking woman who brought several noisy children attending a birthday party to sit by the outdoor firepit. The one positive aspect was the conceirge. We got restaurant and sight seeing recommendations which met our needs perfectly. When we arrived home I received an email with an updated check-out receipt. We had been charged for an item from the "munchie bar". We had not used the mini-bar or munchie bar. I called the accounting department and left a message. I did not hear back until I responded to a online satisfaction survey and complained about the mischarge and lack of response. A correction was made.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!