“Excellent customer focus” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #18 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent customer focus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the W Fort Lauderdale Aug 27-29. This was our first visit to this property. It was a wonderful experience, exceeding expectations on all levels. We arrived at 1pm, and as expected our room was not ready. We were told it would be ready by 3-4pm. So we were given a property access key and able to change into beach clothes in a nice large restroom in the Lobby. However, as soon as we emerged from the restrooms, the front desk told us our room was ready!! So we proceeded to a absolutely beautiful ocean facing, large corner room, with a super open patio about 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep with 2 lounge chairs and table for four outside. The room had a fabulous view east to and south and it felt like were on a cruise-ship looking out only over water. Throughout our two day stay, the staff was extremely helpful satisfying our requests, including setting up chairs and umbrellas at the pool, arranging towels at the beach, giving us extra amenities and towels in our room, providing driving and walking directions, and constantly greeting us with a helpful smile. The W has great open spaces for "hanging out" inside the lobby and lounge and outside as well. There are multiple firepits and 2 large pools. The hotel is at a convenient location for fun at the beach/pool, many restaurants along the boardwalk, and even business meetings into Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, and inland. it is only about 10-15 minute drive from FLL airport and about 25 min from Plantation Florida inland. it's a large property with great views and easy access and i recommend it as the best property at which to stay on Fort Lauderdale beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Randall_Foster,

Thank you for your review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and your room. It’s also great that you were able to experience a few of the hotel amenities like WET and the Living Room/WET firepits. We certainly hope you can join us again soon.

LBosco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The hotel is on the main strip, right across the street from the beach and within waking distance to several restaurants. There is a club, and several restaurants on site- great food at Steakhouse 954. Pool gets crowded by 10:30 so get out there early. Would be great if there was an adults only pool!!! there is service by the pool... Great! The walls are thin in the rooms... I could hear my neighbors TV and shower. Overall, good locale and atmosphere at restaurants and clubs. Would recommend a visit.

Stayed July 2014
Nikki19128,

Thank you for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed your time with us and had a chance to experience some of our on property amenities. We hope your travels bring you back our way again soon.

Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel was fantastic. I loved the views, I loved the pool. There was a steak restaurant in this hotel that was amazing. In the morning, we had a delicious breakfast at the same restaurant. The room was super hot, I can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Anabelle M,

It’s wonderful that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you had some time to indulge at Steak 954 and soak up the sun at WET. We look forward to your next visit!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Truly enjoyed this hotel and the experience it provided. Great service, great hotel, great location. Couldn't have asked for more during my brief visit to Fort Lauderdale. They were very busy and could not get me a room until 5:30 PM but they were very accommodating and apologetic and upgraded me to a suite. I don't have a lot of Starwood status so it was totally unexpected and worth the wait! Beautiful room

Room Tip: Be patient, I couldn't check in until 5:30 PM but I was rewarded for my patience by receiving an...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
greg c,

Thank you for your review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in to the W. An upgrade from a standard room to a two bedroom condo with the most amazing view of both beach and bay. Thank you Bobby! The condo was clean and comfortable and when in the room we spent most of our time sitting on the balcony. I would definitely stay here again. Perfect stay.

Stayed June 2014
Fl4me,

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and your room! It’s great you were able to make use of your balcony and take in the views. We hope to welcome you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I just completed my third stay at the W in Fort Lauderdale and already have two more trips planned to return! I’m currently working on finishing up a mattress run to catapult myself to Starwood platinum, and as I still have another ten stays to complete by year end, I’m only doing one night stays at each property to make sure I reach platinum. As such, I am able to compare the W to the other Starwood properties in Fort Lauderdale because I have done one night stays at both the Sheraton and the Westin.

The W is by far the nicest of the Starwood properties in Fort Lauderdale with two swimming pools, a nightclub, hair salon, steak house and another bar in the lobby, the hotel is certainly quite rich in features. The property is comprised of two towers: tower one is closer to the beach and offers standard and premium rooms; tower two has a majority of the residential suites with intercostal views. The property is adorned with stone alligators that can be used as seating and provides a very functional decorative touch outside and on the decks.

This property is very good at recognizing loyal guests and guests with Gold and Platinum status; of the three stays I’ve made at the property all of which we book at the least expensive SPG Hot Escapes prepaid rate around an average of ~$200, one time I received an upgrade to an enhanced oceanfront room with a terrace, and twice I was upgraded to the property’s residential suites, which have three rooms: a full kitchen with a dining table and six chairs along with a seating area, a master bedroom/bathroom with a king sized bed Jacuzzi and washer/dryer and either a second bedroom or den area with another full bathroom; the entire three room suite is lined with a large and fully furnished terrace. Like all of the W Hotels, the W Fort Lauderdale bathrooms features Bliss products, including body butter, which is really needed with all the Florida heat. One nice touch that the rooms have is a plush alligator on each of the beds from a company called Wishpets, the alligator is all white except for the eyes and very soft—I liked it so much I bought one for myself on Amazon. I really, really appreciate that the hotel was so generous with the suite upgrades—it really made my experience stand out even more.

As I mentioned, the property has two pools; the main pool has a staircase coming up from the lobby that takes you right through a glass enclosure cut out of the pool; it’s a really modern and chic feature. The pool area has a full bar that also serves food and pretty scantily clad women will gladly bring you food or drinks right to your chaise lounge (the pool is lined with them), private cabana or right to you in the pool. The CVS down the street sells large inflatable tubes for $8, I bought one each time and enjoyed cocktails as I floated around in the pool. If the Florida heat just isn’t enough for you, there is also a hot tub. The W ordered custom branded beach balls that can be seen being tossed around in the pool. The hotel hosts a big party on the pool deck every Sunday, which is open to all hotel guests free of charge and to non-guests for $10. They have a live DJ and it really makes going to the pool a very fun experience, unfortunately, it can also make it hard to find an open chaise lounge. Of note, the pool area (and other parts of the property) offer free fruit infused water and apples, which is a nice touch. The other pool is primarily occupied by kids, so is a less attractive option, but good later in the day when the pool is mostly shaded by the hotel, it too features a hot tub, and a limited number of chaise lounges and cabanas. While there is also a bar at this pool, it wasn’t open on any of my three visits.

I ordered food and drinks at the bar in addition to room service a few times, everything was very expensive but fresh and high in quality. The tuna tacos are to die for; while I was poolside I ordered a few hard strawberry lemonades, and while I felt that they could have come in bigger cups with more vodka, they were quite delicious.

While, I think that the W Fort Lauderdale not only represents the best of the Starwood properties in Fort Lauderdale (both the Sheraton and the Westin feel very outdated) and is one of the better hotels I’ve stayed at globally, I do think that there is always room for improvement at any hotel:

The hotel rack rate is substantially higher than that of other Fort Lauderdale properties, and while I think that it’s probably worth an extra $50 or so over the Sheraton or Westin, remember that you can always stay at another property and pay $10 to use the pool on a Sunday. Keep in mind that in the off-season, this hotel frequently appears on SPG Hot Escapes and can be book at a bit of a discount.

Other things of note are that the hotel offers iPhone docking connectors aside each bed, but unfortunately, the connectors are the quite outdated 30-pin connectors, so you’re out of luck if you want to listen to music on the included Tivoli radio from your Android device or newer iPhone.

The W offers free yoga classes for guests, which is great! Unfortunately, they’re all offered very early in the morning, 8-9, which is far earlier than I would ever wake up on vacation.

Welcome desk check ins can take longer than I would like; on each of the three occasions that I’ve visited the hotel I’ve waited to talk to a welcome desk agent to check in, while one or two concierge whenever/whatever representatives sat at their desks doing nothing—they really should have moved over to the welcome desk to check me in and not keep me waiting.

Also, on one of my stays, they failed to properly magnetize my keys for late checkout, which the hotel only offers as a courtesy—I only got 4 PM late checkout once, late checkout is very important to me; to be fair, they did offer 2PM and 3Pm late check out on the other stays. Also the hotel does offer all day keys to enjoy the pool on your day of check-out, which is nice.

One last thing that I really wanted to mention, is that one time I had a non-refundable reservation and my flight from New York was canceled due to weather problems; I called Sabrina at the Welcome desk and she was able to move my reservation to another date for me—again, this was huge for me, and showed me that the hotel is really focused on delivering a great customer experience.

Room Tip: Tower I has great views; tower II has more space
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
donotblink,

Thank you so much for your review and for your continued loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts – we love our SPG members! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade upon each visit and that you had time to explore a few of the hotel amenities, like WET. We appreciate your feedback regarding your check in experience and the in-room docking stations. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth and fifth stays as you head toward your Platinum status!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I chose this property to have a weekend getaway with friends from high school and college.
It by far surpassed our expectations for value, amenities, and service.
The food, drink and customer service was outstanding. Alex who attended to our chairs by the pool was a real stand out.
I can't say enough good things about this property.

Room Tip: Even though my room was on the side of tower 1, it still had a great view of the ocean.Room was VERY...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Rabbitpaul,

I’m so glad you and your friends enjoyed your recent visit and that you had some time to soak up the sun at WET. We certainly hope you all come visit again soon.

LBosco

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!