“Much better than its cousin (Sheraton)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
portland, OR
“Much better than its cousin (Sheraton)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Our pre-cruise hotel was the dumpy old Sheraton since rooms at the W were too pricey. Post-cruise rates were more reasonable, so we returned to the W, which has always been our preferred FLL digs.
The W is showing its age in places and our room wasn't as big or with dramatic views as prior stays, but it's clean, has nice staff, and a good location. On site eats are tasty but pricey.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
pdx-engaged,

Thank you for joining us post-cruise. We’re glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back to Fort Lauderdale again soon.

2,073 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Best Showers i have ever seen. Nice comfortable beds. Great pool scene, with a modern chic feel. Great lobby bar and pool table atmosphere. Great club right in the hotel. Steak restaurant is amazing for all 3 meals!

Room Tip: get the ocean view
Kevin N,

Wow, it sounds like you really had a chance to explore all that the hotel has to offer! I’m so glad you enjoyed your experience at Living Room, WET, Whiskey Blue and Steak 954. We hope your travels bring you back our way again soon.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I do frequent "staycations" in South Florida with friends and family. The Westin Diplomate is one of my fave hotels. The W is a part of the Westin family so I chose the W Fort Lauderdale for a weekend getaway. We had a couple of issues upon checking in and at the pool bar but I have to say that the staff corrected the minor flaws immediately! The property is beautiful and the customer service is amazing. I am definitely returning!

Room Tip: Higher floors have awesome views. Corner rooms are more spacious.
han897899,

We love our locals – thanks for joining us for your recent staycation! I’m glad our team was able to resolve your issues and that you were able to enjoy your stay. We look forward to your next backyard-escape!

All the best
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We recently had a chance to visit the W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. We had an excellent visit and look forward to visiting again.Best hotel we've stayed at in the Fort! The bars and restaurant made it a very special visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tch P,

Thank you for your review – I’m glad you enjoyed our on-property bars and Steak 954. We’re looking forward to your next visit!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My best friend and I were in Ft. Lauderdale for a girls Spring Break weekend. I have two small children and was looking very forward to my first time away in four years. From the moment we walked in to the W, we were blown away! The intoxicating "W smell" was so invigorating, we stopped at the gift shop while there to ask about the scent and sure enough, they sold it in a bottle. I bought one immediately! From the delicious room service food, the friendly, but not intrusive housekeeping staff and every employee we ran into...everything was top notch! I experienced a first time muscle spasm while on our trip and Joni in the Bliss spa immediately fit me into the schedule for a quick check of my back. Later in the weekend, I also got one of the best massages ever (poolside) from Brad. While there, I asked to speak to the Manager, Marilouise to thank her for the wonderful service and she was just as nice as everyone else. Our fancy dinner at the restaurant was heavenly (can't remember the name) and our server Steven was sweet and on top of it the whole night! My girlfriend and I have already decided that this will be an annual trip for us! A+ all the way around!

indy30319,

I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your girls’ getaway – it sure sounds like you know how to vacation! I’m happy our team was able to make your stay all the more enjoyable and that bliss was able to assist you with your back spasm. We hope you’re feeling better, still! And way to relax, poolside with a bliss massage…and dinner at Steak 954. We can’t wait to welcome you back for your annual retreat – please do let us know when you’re planning your getaway by emailing GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com so we can welcome you back in true W Style.

F. Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

When staying in Fort Lauderdale, the W has always been my first choice. I really enjoyed the W brand and in particular the vibe of this property. I had a beautiful "wonderful" room on the 9th floor, which was well appointed and had a great view of the water, large balcony, and a modern bathroom. I always love the Bliss amenities and W bed's. We were originally going to stay at this property for only one night but ended up extending 2x for a total of 3 nights. We ate at Steak954 for lunch and literally had the BEST filet mignon & truffle fries I've ever had. It was absolutely delicious, I still think of that meal and crave the food. For breakfast one morning we had the lobster benedict which was also mouthwatering, I am officially a huge fan of Steak954.

With all the good there were some aspects that were left to be desired...One thing I always loved about the W was that it was very exclusive and had the "insider" concept down, but it seems like now this property is a very watered down version of what it used to be. The pool area and furniture are in need of a refreshment, the cabanas are lifeless and the energy WET deck used to have seem long gone. Also, the Acrua service is no longer offered at this property. Bummer.

My biggest disappointment came when I arrived 2hrs earlier than my guest with a gift basket and a bottle of champagne which I'd hoped to have placed in the room prior to her arrival. I spoke with both a Front Desk agent and a bellman who assured me this would be taken care of. When we arrived and checked in you can imagine my frustration when I found the bottle of champagne and basket added to our bell cart, talk about killing a surprise...Additionally, I had sent out dry cleaning the day before for a meeting I had Downtown on Las Olas, they assured me it would arrive on time but it didn't. On the morning of my meeting I frantically had to call back and forth at least 3x before getting my dry cleaning.

On their part, the hotel did waive the dry cleaning fee (but only after escalating the issue to a manager). Brandon who both checked us in and assisted with our luggage during check out was kind and helpful. Even with some of the challenges I had, I like the W, and I like the property. It just seems like they aren't where they used to be in certain aspects and you can tell this hotel is no longer the "it" place on Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
HotelInnsider,

Thank you for your review – and for joining us for yet, another stay. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed all of your meals at Steak 954 – those truffle fries are certainly crave-worthy! We greatly appreciate all of your feedback and have shared your comments regarding WET and the dry cleaning with our team in hopes of improving future guests’ experiences. I’m sorry to hear of the challenges you faced, but am relieved that they were resolved for you. You’re correct in that we no longer offer the Acura service, nor to any of our W Hotels properties – we’re sorry for any inconvenience and hope that our concierge was able to provide alternative transportation options. We do hope your travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

As a big fan of W hotels it takes a lot to impress me -- but the W FLL surely sets a new standard for the chain. Everyone we encountered from check in to check out-- including bar/restaurant servers, pool attendants etc were super friendly and eager to please. The hotel itself is beautiful -- and the pool is really spectacular overlooking the beach and up above the traffic of rt A1A. We got upgraded to a condo-suite which was heaven -- made me want to buy there!

Only downside is the crowd -- but this is Florida in February so if you expect to be alone you don't understand the phrase "snow-bird"...in spite of that even the packed restaurant served up a truly memorable meal -- expensive but not "over-the-top" like some hotel restaurants. All in all, I can't wait to return. W Miami is great too...cuz it is right on the beach...but for service, quality and design...FLL is now top of my list!

Room Tip: Even the room on the back tower had a wonderful sunset view of dt Fort Lauderdale and the terrace ov...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ffrey H,

Thank you so much for the rave review! We appreciate your feedback and are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. It’s great that you enjoyed the location and Steak 954 – I’m also happy that our team was to make your stay all the more memorable. We hope your travels bring you back our way soon!

LBosco

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!