“Enjoyable with some bumps in the road” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #15 of 136 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
F. Lauderdale
“Enjoyable with some bumps in the road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

When staying in Fort Lauderdale, the W has always been my first choice. I really enjoyed the W brand and in particular the vibe of this property. I had a beautiful "wonderful" room on the 9th floor, which was well appointed and had a great view of the water, large balcony, and a modern bathroom. I always love the Bliss amenities and W bed's. We were originally going to stay at this property for only one night but ended up extending 2x for a total of 3 nights. We ate at Steak954 for lunch and literally had the BEST filet mignon & truffle fries I've ever had. It was absolutely delicious, I still think of that meal and crave the food. For breakfast one morning we had the lobster benedict which was also mouthwatering, I am officially a huge fan of Steak954.

With all the good there were some aspects that were left to be desired...One thing I always loved about the W was that it was very exclusive and had the "insider" concept down, but it seems like now this property is a very watered down version of what it used to be. The pool area and furniture are in need of a refreshment, the cabanas are lifeless and the energy WET deck used to have seem long gone. Also, the Acrua service is no longer offered at this property. Bummer.

My biggest disappointment came when I arrived 2hrs earlier than my guest with a gift basket and a bottle of champagne which I'd hoped to have placed in the room prior to her arrival. I spoke with both a Front Desk agent and a bellman who assured me this would be taken care of. When we arrived and checked in you can imagine my frustration when I found the bottle of champagne and basket added to our bell cart, talk about killing a surprise...Additionally, I had sent out dry cleaning the day before for a meeting I had Downtown on Las Olas, they assured me it would arrive on time but it didn't. On the morning of my meeting I frantically had to call back and forth at least 3x before getting my dry cleaning.

On their part, the hotel did waive the dry cleaning fee (but only after escalating the issue to a manager). Brandon who both checked us in and assisted with our luggage during check out was kind and helpful. Even with some of the challenges I had, I like the W, and I like the property. It just seems like they aren't where they used to be in certain aspects and you can tell this hotel is no longer the "it" place on Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
HotelInnsider,

Thank you for your review – and for joining us for yet, another stay. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed all of your meals at Steak 954 – those truffle fries are certainly crave-worthy! We greatly appreciate all of your feedback and have shared your comments regarding WET and the dry cleaning with our team in hopes of improving future guests’ experiences. I’m sorry to hear of the challenges you faced, but am relieved that they were resolved for you. You’re correct in that we no longer offer the Acura service, nor to any of our W Hotels properties – we’re sorry for any inconvenience and hope that our concierge was able to provide alternative transportation options. We do hope your travels bring you back to Fort Lauderdale again soon.

LBosco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

As a big fan of W hotels it takes a lot to impress me -- but the W FLL surely sets a new standard for the chain. Everyone we encountered from check in to check out-- including bar/restaurant servers, pool attendants etc were super friendly and eager to please. The hotel itself is beautiful -- and the pool is really spectacular overlooking the beach and up above the traffic of rt A1A. We got upgraded to a condo-suite which was heaven -- made me want to buy there!

Only downside is the crowd -- but this is Florida in February so if you expect to be alone you don't understand the phrase "snow-bird"...in spite of that even the packed restaurant served up a truly memorable meal -- expensive but not "over-the-top" like some hotel restaurants. All in all, I can't wait to return. W Miami is great too...cuz it is right on the beach...but for service, quality and design...FLL is now top of my list!

Room Tip: Even the room on the back tower had a wonderful sunset view of dt Fort Lauderdale and the terrace ov...
ffrey H,

Thank you so much for the rave review! We appreciate your feedback and are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. It’s great that you enjoyed the location and Steak 954 – I’m also happy that our team was to make your stay all the more memorable. We hope your travels bring you back our way soon!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed here just to get away from the everyday same old same old. The hotel was super nice. Dropped off our car at the valet and never saw it again until we left. Everything thing is in walking distance that is important the Beach and places to eat and drink. The pool is really nice and the pool deck at night has a few fire pits to relax by at night. Cabanas are available to rent which is nice on those super hot days.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Atrogons,

Thanks for joining us for your Staycation! We love our locals, and are thrilled you enjoyed your visit. Great call on the WET cabanas – they sure are a chic source of shade. We hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The staff was the most pleasant and accommodating that we have experienced in a long time, all the way from the bell staff to the front desk to the restaurant staff! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay as the room was well appointed with a wonderful view! We ate twice in the restaurant and had a great experience both times...the food was very tasty and beautifully presented. The in-room wi-fi was easy to connect to, worked great with our tablet and was relatively speedy.
The location of the hotel is convenient to get to and access to the beach is simple and easy!
We will not hesitate to return to the W in Ft. Lauderdale and, in fact, can't wait for that opportunity!

Room Tip: Many rooms have at least a partial view of the ocean and/or the intercostal waterway. Elevators were...
Edward O,

It’s great to hear that you had a wonderful stay! Thank you so much for your review – we appreciate your positive feedback. I’m glad our team was able to elevate your experience and that you enjoyed your room. We hope to welcome you back again, soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The feel of the hotel is great. Rooms ARE wonderful. Pool was great on Friday. Ants on an anthill on Saturday. This is a great hotel if you don't like a pool, or if you are there on a weekday. Stay clear of weekends there if you like to hang at the pool. It is so crowded its ridiculous, even at 10 am. You are so close to other chairs you are holding hands with your neighbors. Ew. I had to leave. PS. they do have 2 pools but no service or bar at the second pool. So weird.

But if you are traveling during the week, its great. That's why the 3. I had to split it down the middle. I really enjoyed Friday. Then I checked out.

MJthetravelerfromMN,

Thank you for your review. We know that the weekends at WET can be quite lively, but I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your midweek pool time. We hope to see you again soon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was a peculiar hotel experience. The staff is very pleasant, and they appear to try very hard, but often don’t succeed. The check in process is the glaring weakness of the hotel. We arrived at 7 p.m. with one person in front of us and it took 45 minutes to check in. They make a bit of a production of calling housekeeping to make certain the room is perfect. When we arrived at our room we quickly turned around and headed back to reception to inform them that our reservation called for a king bed not two queens. A few more minutes of waiting and we received our room. The instructions I was given at reception for Wi-Fi, were incorrect so I called “whatever, whenever”, they forwarded me to tech support, who informed me that their login software was not user friendly with tablets and phones. Our balcony had one lonely change, when I called “whatever, whenever” for an additional chair they informed me that the deck furniture was being replaced and there were no additional chairs.
From an outsiders view it appears to be very inefficiently run, staff running around but not really doing anything. Overall the people were very nice but the resulting service was just average. It all adds up to a poor value. I think they need to decide who they want to cater to and concentrate on that group, because they are failing at trying to be everything to everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
David L,

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments regarding the challenges with check in, wi-fi and furniture with our team in hopes of improving future guests' experiences.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The W in Fort Lauderdale is a large, typical W Hotel. There is nothing special about the hotel other than it's fifth floor pool. The pool is great, overlooking A1A and the beach. The problem is that on a weekend stay it was impossible to get a chair. We went down at 10:15 on Saturday and everything was full. We did go to the beach across the street and had to pay $50 for two lounge chairs and an umbrella. No food or beverage service on the beach other than one guy with a cooler of soad and water bottles.

The hotel is just ok. Again, very typical for a W.

Room Tip: Most if not all rooms have some water view.
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Duncan G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and thank you for joining us. I’m sorry to hear you had trouble finding a chair at WET, it certainly doesn’t get busy during the day. I hope you enjoyed the beach and wish you safe travels.

LBosco

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!