“Very cool hotel, uneven service and so-so beach setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #17 of 134 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
washington dc
“Very cool hotel, uneven service and so-so beach setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were looking for a last minute spring break get away with our 15 year old daughter. Generally when I go to a beach hotel, I prefer a quiet peaceful location. If I can't get that, I'll go for the other extreme like South Beach. While this part of Ft Lauderdale is definitey the other extreme, I think I would have preferred south beach. It's trendier with more upscale hotels and places to eat, and a far better beach. Anyway, putting the location aside, this is a very nice hotel. The inside of the hotel exudes cool, in keeping with the W brand. And we scored huge with our starwood gold uograde. They put is in one of the flats - a full suite with kitchen area, separate master and den that converts into a bedroom (although the couch that converts into a bed is not the most comfortable for sleeping, claims my teenage daughter). The people and service were generally very excellent, except at the pool and outside bar area. i found those people a little aloof and "uninspired". Also, I was not thrilled with the beach. It's across the street and on a fairly narrow strip of sand. Also, as it is a public beach, the hotel does nor have a separate designated area. You can however rent the umbrellas and chairs that are set up there (20 for an umbrella and 10 for a chair, plus 5 for a cushion). When you rent the beach equipment, you get it for the entire day up until 5. Beware, though, you will be sitting with a major boulevard right at your back. All in all, it met my expectations as I knew what I was in for. If you like the atmosphere of Ft Lauderale, you will probably love the hotel. I really enjoyed the hotel, but probably will not be coming back to Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Makies – Thank you for taking the time to write about your family getaway to W Fort Lauderdale. While I am delighted to read you enjoyed the W Vibe and upgraded flat, it is disappointing to see the beach location did not meet your expectations. We would welcome you to stop by our concierge desk for more private beach recommendations. We are ready to help with anything you need, just ask! We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again.

J Doucette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I coordinated a trip for some friends and I at least 7 months in advance. I've always been a Starwood fan until now. We arrived at 1:30pm, which was 2 1/2 hrs before scheduled check in. Without expectation or request, we were told our flat would be ready early and that we should just wait in the bar or on the patio. After waiting an hour and a half (time that could have been spent by the pool or on the beach) I asked for an update. I was informed that check in wasn't until 4pm and that they were doing the best they could, as if i had hassled them to get in early! At 345pm, without being offered so much as a beverage for our 2 1/2 hour wait, i spoke with a manager. He was apologetic (I give him that) and personally checked with the "Style" crew to guarantee the room was ready. Once we were given the green light, i sent my party up to the room as I finished the check in process at the front desk. They arrived to find a 1/2 cleaned room with piles of dirt on the floor, beds without sheets and a dishwasher full of dirty dishes. It was nearly 5pm by the time we were settled in a "Check-in ready" room. We had lost an entire afternoon. We were offered a room credit that was less than 5% of what I had booked.

Furthermore, the flat we booked was said to accomodate 5-6 people. There was 1 King bed, 1 full bed and a sofa that didnt pull out. I'm not sure how the math works. We called to ask for an additional roll away cot and were told they would call us back. We never received a returned call.

On day 2, we signed a WAITING LIST to sit by the pool. That was another unreturned call.

In 5 days, we received maid service ONCE! We had to continually request clean towels, and slept on the same linens Thursday through Sunday, only having fresh linens the night before we left.

Room service had left a tray of half eaten food and beverages on our floor for 2 days before it was removed.

I'd say that 60% of the staff we encountered were rude. And I feel bad for mentioning that for the sake fo the 40% that were very pleasant.

Since I was the coordinator of the trip, and the most in favor of staying at The W, I was very embarrassed in front of my guests, one of which who is a client of mine.

The total cost of my stay was a little over $3k. I could have been 3x as satisfied staying at a Holiday Inn and paid 1/3 the price.

I will at least say the Spa is top notch. So stay somewhere else and book an apt at their spa.

And it would be fair to say that the decor of the hotel was very modern and attractive. It has a very swanky element to it. If the service was half as good as the ornamentation, i might stay there again.

Room Tip: No further advice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
JMonty2680 – We appreciate you taking the time to share the details of you recent visit to W Fort Lauderdale. It is lovely to read you enjoyed relaxing at bliss spa and found the hotel décor to be attractive. It is very disappointing to see the service at the hotel did not meet your expectations or mine. These are certainly not the kinds of memories we want our guests to leave with. I am aware that a member of our Executive Office has been in contact with you in regards to your valuable feedback. We are addressing each issue mentioned in an effort to improve for future guests. Thank you again for sharing this important information; you have helped us to see the hotel through your eyes.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I had the most amazing experience spending a few days at The W in Fort Lauderdale. My room was out of a dream. The staff were friendly and efficient. The location was a holiday getaway. I nearly forgot I was there for business!!

• Stayed April 2013
tiggerSk8s – Thanks for the shining review. Whether for business or for pleasure, we can’t wait to welcome you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

From start to finish, a great hotel to stay in. Check in was easy (although finding it was not). The room was clean, spacious, and looked great. The bed was comfortable. It was very quiet. The balcony looking out to the sea was a great place to have a morning coffee. If I had a complaint it would be about the see-in bathroom. Even when two people love each other, having that little time by yourself is nice. At least the commode room was enclosed with frosted glass.
I don't say this often, but this hotel was worth the money, and I would recommend it to my most discerning friends.

• Stayed November 2012
Fitex – We appreciate you taking the time to share your review. It is wonderful to know your W Fort Lauderdale experience was a success. Next time you come to visit I would recommend the Mega Room. It has a large private bath, sure to be more to your liking. Thanks again, hope to see you soon.

All the best,
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Excellent Service and the cool W vibe is on display here at this very nice property across the street from the beach. Had a standard room, which was fine. My son loved the purple pool table in the lobby and the various chess sets. Very cool swimming pool. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WINEandTRAVEL – Thank you for the shining review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your family getaway with us. We can’t wait to welcome you back again.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed her 3 nights Precruise and it was fantastic! The rooms were beautiful with a lovely ocean view. The main pool was busy but we discovered Wet West and it was quiet, comfortable and a hidden gem. Our only advice would be to grab a towel before you headed over that way. We called for towels with the pool phone but they were never delivered.
Everyone we encountered was kind and helpful. Brandon helped us to our room with our luggage and was kind enought to explain all the amenities. The hotel is close enought to walk to many excellent restuarants and there is shopping as well. Without reservation, I would say book a room at the W Fort Lauderdale, it was WONDERFUL!!! The have free coffee in the morning in the lobby area. It's so nice to sip coffee oceanside on the outdoor patio area. Wish I was back there again!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Rjohnson2011 – We appreciate you taking the time to share your review about your pre-cruise stay at W Fort Lauderdale. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed relaxing at Wet West and explored the local area. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your getaway. You are welcome back, anytime!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the W Fort Lauderdale with my wife from 4/5-4/7 for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Before staying at the W hotel I had the pleasure of speaking to my W insider- Bobby. I explained to him that I wanted to set up my hotel room with flower petals for a surprise for my wife. Bobby went above and beyond! Not only was the room set up with rose petals leading up to the bed but on the bed was a heart shape with a 10 in the middle. Bobby also had a song I dedicated to my wife playing in the room when we walked in. Needless to say my wife was completely overwhelmed and in shock to see the room.

Now the room itself was a cool corner room (oceanfront) that was beyond my expectations! The balcony was just as big or bigger than the room. It wrapped around the room so we had an unobstructed view of the ocean and the intercostal.

The same night we checked in we had set up a reservation through Bobby for the 954 Steakhouse. I usually don't eat at hotel restaurants but this one took the cake. From the moment we walked in and stated our last name we were greeted with an "Happy Anniversary" from our attendant. We were seated outside and even given complimentary champagne for our special occasion! The food was delicious and our server attended to our every need. The restaurant was full but the service was so good that we felt like we were VIP.

Wait there's more, The next day Bobby set us up with our very own private cabana by the pool. The weather was perfect and the ambiance was so relaxing that we almost spent our whole Saturday there. We ordered food and drinks and just enjoyed the day basking in the fact that we had nothing to do but relax. Later on in the evening, to our surprise, more champagne was delivered to our room with a chocolate dessert. We even received a late checkout from Marcelus (Front desk). As an anniversary treat he gave us until 2pm! Some of these perks are given to SPG members so I recommend to anyone reading this to get the membership, definitely worth it.

What more can I say, beautiful hotel, great staff, good food, good music playing everywhere, just pure fun. The staff made all the difference, we felt like we were #1 at all times. They all deserve special recognition from Bobby to Ryan at the concierge, The 954 Steakhouse staff, Ryan who served us room service and did a great job, the bell hops, the whole front desk staff was awesome, pool staff was great and Valet. Everyone did their part to make us feel special and we truly thank you. It's because of the staff that I will return to this hotel for many years to come. This is an anniversary that we will never forget.

• Stayed April 2013
Miamifan1733 – Wow! Thanks for the spectacular review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us for such a special occasion. Cheers to you and your wife for your 10th Anniversary! Thanks again, hope to see you soon.

J Doucette

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!