“Impressive Trendy Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #17 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Milwaukee, WI
“Impressive Trendy Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Really like this hotel - just spent 4 nights here. This is the 3rd year in a row our company had our Winter Sales Meeting at The W. The food was great & the service was exceptional! The staff was Super Friendly catering to your every need. Make no mistake this is a trendy but very expensive place so the service should be exceptional. The only reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars was my cramped room - as I mentioned I stayed here 2 previous times & my room this time was much smaller than the standard room. My room was 1712 which was the first room on the left from the elevator in Tower 1. I assume all the rooms ending in 12 might be this way. If your at check in and they give you a room ending in 12 I suggest you ask for another room. Don't let this stop you from staying here. Book it and enjoy.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Randy E – We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent business trip to W Fort Lauderdale. I am delighted to hear our team helped to make your time on the road more comfortable. Thank you for the room tip as well. We invite our guests to share their likes and dislikes at check in and always try to accommodate all requests. Whether for business or pleasure, we hope to welcome you back soon!

2,026 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed at many 5 star hotels all over the States, but nothing compares to the service I received at the W Fort Lauderdale. The staff is incredible! They were polite, helpful and extremely thoughtful throughout the stay…… they went above and beyond to make it a wonderful experience. The heating system was faulty in the room; unfortunately they would not have a part until the following day to fix it…… immediately I was upgraded. I needed directions to a certain store…. they walked me to the end of the road and gave me guidance. Every member of the staff I ran into was friendly and accommodating. I even checked out of the hotel, I was at the airport when I realized I had made a mistake with the flight booking, I was delayed for another night in Florida. No problem, the staff at the hotel managed to get me the same room I checked out of…. all clean and ready to go by the time I arrived back from the airport! Thank you W Fort Lauderdale…. You Rock!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jane G – Thank you for the incredible review! Sorry to hear about your flight mix up, although we were happy to welcome you back for another night. These are truly examples of Whatever / Whenever service and I can’t wait to share your review with the rest of our team. You are welcome back, anytime!

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the W on January 18 to 20th and again on the 27th. The hotel staff were great. Very friendly and helpful. The staff are definitely the saving grace at this property.

As per numerous comments, it is dark. Very dark. If you forget to take off your sunglasses when you walk in, you might just walk into a wall. What I did notice is that the common areas were looking worn and in need of a coat of paint.

We were staying on points (hubby does about 5 or so business trips a month), so we rarely pay for rooms. Unfortunately we got crappy rooms both stays. Dirty carpets, bathrooms were not quite clean. The first balcony we had was huge but in need of a clean and paint job. The second room we had the front desk clerk said it had a huge balcony. Well, he lied. It was the tiniest balcony I have ever seen, wedge shaped and had a single chair. Again this room had a dirty, stained carpet. As we travel a great deal I know that if you stay on points, or use a discount booking website you will have a pretty high possibility of getting the worst rooms in the hotel.

From what I could see around the common areas and the pool area, this hotel needs a deep clean and a coat of paint. The furniture is in poor condition and has seen better days.

The "hip" design the designer was going for seems tired. Ditch the rain head shower heads already! The silly design of the bathroom does not work for couples. If you get up in the night to use the loo, the light and fan will disturb your partner. I really don't care about the glass in the shower, but the room fully lit up at 5am, I mind!

Steak954 was really good. We had several meals there. The staff was very good. Very knowledgable about the menu.

Would I stay there again. Hmmm jury is out. We usually stay at the Westin, which I have found is in better condition. I do like the pool area at the W.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Sheila M – Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent visits to W Fort Lauderdale. I appreciate the kind words about the hotel talent, STEAK954, and Wet Deck. Although, it is disappointing to read the condition and style of your guest rooms and the public spaces did not meet your expectations. I have shared your feedback about the cleanliness of you guest rooms with our Style Managers and they are using this as a training tool to with their talent. Thank you once again, we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the W Fort Lauderdale January 4-7, 2013. From the moment we arrived until we left, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Had three different kinds of rooms for six people. The flat is simply an amazing place to stay. The mega room is so gorgeous with fabulous views of the ocean and great balcony. Didn't get to see the third room but heard it was great. The property recognizes SPG guests which is always a great thing. The food in the restaurant (breakfast) was very good. The food by the pool is very good. The staff at the pool is attentive and they go above and beyond to make things perfect. The waitstaff for the restaurant at the pool is a bit air head-like : not sure why they aren't as good as everyone else. Less time chatting and flirting, more time serving and cleaning up would be nice. Love the whatever/whenever. It's really fantastic. You call on the phone and within minutes whatever you needed is at your door: amazing. Housekeeping staff on point. Valet is $30 day but so worth it. In and out service with a smile. Cars always waiting for us after we call down. I have to say, we have been staying at this property for three years now and I have not been disappointed once. We would only stay here when in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Umich3 – Thank you for sharing your review; it is our pleasure to host you and your family time and time again. I am so glad you have found your Fort Lauderdale – Must Have – Hotel. We appreciate your feedback about the Wet Deck staff and have forwarded this onto their management team in an effort to provide consistent service throughout the property. Thanks again, we are looking forward to year number 4!

New Westminster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My stay at the W was fantastic. First and foremost, the service was unparalleled. The Welcome Desk was able to find me a room at 9:00AM, as I had caught a red eye in to Fort Lauderdale. The impeccable service radiated throughout each facet of the hotel. The valet attendants and Wet Deck staff were both continually friendly and attentive. At the Whatever/Whenever desk, Raoul and Angela were extremely helpful in booking dinner reservations, providing directions, and even calling Neiman Marcus on my behalf. At the Welcome Desk, Jennifer was kind enough to book a dinner reservation for me as the Whatever/Whatever staff had gone home for the evening. At the breakfast bar in the Living Room, the woman (whose name has evaded me) was very nice, remembering my order from the first day. Each and every staff member I encountered asked me how I was doing, how my stay was going, and if there was anything they could do for me. I have never experienced such service in my life.

The hotel itself is beautifully appointed, with large communal spaces that take advantage of the view. The pool was fantastic, as was the gym. The room itself was great, also making the most of the beautiful view of the water. The "peek-a-boo" shower was not an issue for me, as there were blinds that could be closed so that one could shower in privacy. Both the beds and pillows were very comfortable as well. The highlight of the room however, was the balcony. Being on the 19th floor, laying out on the large lounger on the deck was just as enjoyable as laying out on the Wet Deck.

Overall, I will certainly be returning to the W Fort Lauderdale in the future. The combination of location, facilities, and service make it an unbeatable choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
KirtGill – Wow! Thank you for the shining review. We appreciate you highlighting many of our talent for the Whatever / Whenever service they provided you. It is also wonderful to read you enjoyed the dynamic design of the hotel and your guest room. We can’t wait to welcome you back again.

Until next time,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I was overwhelmed with the service I received from the staff during my stay. I got to know a few of them by name and I would like to say a special "thank you" to Bryan who showed absolute professionalism towards me and my two daughters. You guys are Awesome!!

• Stayed January 2013
Cocoabitter – Thanks for the rave review. I am thrilled to read you and your daughters enjoyed your time with us. I can’t wait to share your review and kudos to Bryan with the rest of our team. Thanks again, we hope to see you soon!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend in January. I had read some reviews on Flyertalk that had questioned my decision to stay here but I went for it anyway. We got upgraded to a Fantastic Suite - large suite with full ocean view and two (separate) balconies - one of the living room and one of the bedroom (SPG Platinum). We checked in about 4 hrs early and got our room at about 2pm which was before check in time.

We spent most of our time by the pool. The service at the pool was spotty depending on the waitress you got (one day, she would not come by at all and we had to order everything at the bar ourselves, including food. On Saturday, the busy day, we got much better service from a different waitress). Otherwise, the rest of the staff and service was great. We had no problem securing chairs with umbrellas at the pool but we arrived at the pool around 10am. By noon the place was filled up.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing - the platinum amenity gives you a $25 credit to spend at their Cafe which is just continental food (fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice and bagels). The W in Washington has done it right in that you get a credit to spend at their restaurant and often do spend more because you want to enjoy a full breakfast.

Otherwise, we found the valet and luggage attendants to be great and very helpful. I asked for a late checkout and was told I had to request it the day before departure after 6pm. I did so and was only given check out to 1pm and told to check again the next morning. I found this to be quite annoying as I knew the rooms were available (could check online). The next morning I called again and I was granted a 4pm check out which was nice - I just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops when I knew the availability was there.

Overall, we enjoyed our relaxing stay at the W and would consider returning for a short vacation. The rooms and beautiful and for the most part the service is great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
MillerCorona – We appreciate you writing about your recent trip to W Fort Lauderdale. I am happy to hear we were able to assist with an early check in so you could start enjoying you fun in the sun as soon as possible. It is also nice to read about your interactions with our Wheels team and Welcome Ambassadors. Thank you for your feedback about the Platinum Amenity breakfast. I have shared this important information with our Operations and B&F teams. They are looking into your suggestions to see what options may be available. Thank you again, you are welcome back anytime.

J Doucette

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!