“Better than I expected - great trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Toronto
“Better than I expected - great trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend in January. I had read some reviews on Flyertalk that had questioned my decision to stay here but I went for it anyway. We got upgraded to a Fantastic Suite - large suite with full ocean view and two (separate) balconies - one of the living room and one of the bedroom (SPG Platinum). We checked in about 4 hrs early and got our room at about 2pm which was before check in time.

We spent most of our time by the pool. The service at the pool was spotty depending on the waitress you got (one day, she would not come by at all and we had to order everything at the bar ourselves, including food. On Saturday, the busy day, we got much better service from a different waitress). Otherwise, the rest of the staff and service was great. We had no problem securing chairs with umbrellas at the pool but we arrived at the pool around 10am. By noon the place was filled up.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing - the platinum amenity gives you a $25 credit to spend at their Cafe which is just continental food (fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice and bagels). The W in Washington has done it right in that you get a credit to spend at their restaurant and often do spend more because you want to enjoy a full breakfast.

Otherwise, we found the valet and luggage attendants to be great and very helpful. I asked for a late checkout and was told I had to request it the day before departure after 6pm. I did so and was only given check out to 1pm and told to check again the next morning. I found this to be quite annoying as I knew the rooms were available (could check online). The next morning I called again and I was granted a 4pm check out which was nice - I just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops when I knew the availability was there.

Overall, we enjoyed our relaxing stay at the W and would consider returning for a short vacation. The rooms and beautiful and for the most part the service is great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
MillerCorona – We appreciate you writing about your recent trip to W Fort Lauderdale. I am happy to hear we were able to assist with an early check in so you could start enjoying you fun in the sun as soon as possible. It is also nice to read about your interactions with our Wheels team and Welcome Ambassadors. Thank you for your feedback about the Platinum Amenity breakfast. I have shared this important information with our Operations and B&F teams. They are looking into your suggestions to see what options may be available. Thank you again, you are welcome back anytime.

2,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Without a doubt,great Value, great service and just a real nice hotel in a great location..we will certainly go back on our next Lauderdale trip..normally hotels this nice come with a hefty price tag.Food at the pool was super,housekeeping did a great job

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Eyeballs13 – We think you are just perfect! Thank you for the lovely review, we can’t wait to welcome you back again.

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel was AMAZING. The rooms were spacious, very modern and clean.

The W is a large hotel, but the staff will get to know you if you make the effort to get to know them.

George, the man in charge of breakfast, as well as Nicole, the very talented poolside bartender, remembered my name and were incredibly friendly.

Most times when I stood in line at the front desk, one of the W’s crew would approach me and ask me if they could help me with anything. I encountered two billing issues, which the front desk resolved promptly and courteously at checkout.

I stayed at the hotel during a 4-nights-for-the-price-of-3 promotion called "Sunsational Savings," and I would return if they offered another deal.

My only disappointment is that the W is not selling hats for this hotel online. I’d love to wear one!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Jaypo7 – Thank you for the shining review and giving kudos to two of our rock stars, George and Nicole. We can’t wait to congratulate them on helping you leave with a lasting impression of your visit. Thank you for sharing your pics as well! I feel like I am right there with you, relaxing with a cool sip and an amazing view. I will certainly recommend we start having W Fort Lauderdale hats available for our guests. We can’t wait to welcome you back again.

Houten, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Check-in was OK. Valet were very friendly at check-in they tried to convince us the fabulous room would be about the same as the Fatastic Suite we booked (our rooms was not yet ready). We politely declined and we were offered coupons to get drinks in the living room whilst we wait for our room to get ready.

The fantastic suite we got was located on the 9th floor north east corner. It has a private balcony attached to the bedroom and a ocean front balcony attached to the living. The bathroom, toilet and bed room all have sliding doors which I found a nice touch. The bed room also has a walk-in closet wth folding doors.

The living room has a 42" LCD and a B&O soundsystem with a plug to connect your mobile device. There were two big seats which can turn 360-degrees and a 3-seat sofa. All looks quite spacious.
The bedroom has a 32" LCD and a radio with iPod dock and a very comfy bed & ditto linen. Perfect sleep quality.
The Bathroom has a 4-person rainforest shower with big glass door & window and a single sink. Toilet is accessible only via the bathroom and is seperated fomr the bath room via a sliding door and tinted glass.
Overall size didn't feel like the advertised 991sqft however it was comfortable enough for two.

Service in the hotel is very good. I have to admit I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews here but my own experience has been very good. More towels? One call and 10-minutes away. More bath ameitties ditto. Valet? Car was always there when we called them and went down 5-mins later. Only thing which was not so good was when we were at the cabana's the waitress just didn't come. We just had lunch somewhere else so it wasn't a big deal.

The one thing that made me laugh was the breakfast option offered as a platinum amenity: Couple of bread selections and coffee served on the bar of the living room. Guys, you look soo cheap by doing this. Just get the breakfast option in the restaurant or just don't offer it.
FYI: The breakfast served in the restaurant was very nice. Best pan cakes and eggs benedict in a long time.

Would i come back? Yes. Would I recommend this place? Absolutely

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a one-bedroom apartment. They are the same size and price as the Fantastic suite b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HaikoW – Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to W Fort Lauderdale. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the dynamic design of your Fantastic Suite and continued to encounter Whatever / Whenever service throughout your stay. I have shared your feedback in regards to the W Café breakfast as a Platinum Amenity with our Operations and B&F teams. This is valuable feedback and helps us to see the hotel through our guest’s eyes. Thank you again, we hope to see you soon!

Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at the W while visiting my nephew for a long weekend. My flight arrived at 1145 am on a Friday and on a holiday weekend and, by request, I was allowed to check in early which was definitely a bonus. Another bonus: if one opts to forego daily room service, which I never request anyway, one receives extra starwood points. My cool corner room with wrap around balcony was ocean front with intercoastal along the side which is nice at night with the city lights while the ocean is dark. The room was impeccable with peek a boo bath and shower and separate toilet area. The windows along the balcony were floor to ceiling offering a great view. The fridge was stocked full of soda, wine, beer, and liquor along a with snack tray of nuts, chips, sweets, etc. The room was the perfect size for my party of one yet with extra seating for visitors and a desk with chair,and; of course, one cannot forget the heavenly bed by which all others are compared.
After check-in I had the "upper hand" french manicure with a glass of chardonnay; alright two glasses. The service was friendly and professional. While at the W I also enjoyed the steakhouse, the Living Room Lounge, and Whiskey Blue; fun was had by all. The pool is open 24/7. Everyone at the W was friendly, professional and very accomodating. Boarding passes are printed and available at check out upon request the night prior to leaving; parting is such sweet sorrow along with the knowledge that I will return. "Whatever, Whenever." Bon Jour!

Room Tip: Request high floor,cool corner room,oceanfront.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Billie D – Wow, thanks for the cool review! We especially love hearing from a TripAdvisor Senior Contributor. Sounds like you truly experienced all the fun amenities and outlets we have to offer. From Making a Green Choice, to spap-tastic Bliss services, to indulging at STEAK954, you really did it all! Thanks again, we can’t wait to welcome you back.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel was excellent from top to bottom. Check-in was smoothe, room service was quick and of excellent quality, the cleaning staff was prompt and responsive, the restaurant was exceptional for dinner (particularly the steaks and the fish), and the valet team were great. Overall, a great experience, and although we have never visited this hotel in the past, my family and I will likely come back for vacations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
J R – Thank you for the exceptional review! Our team of talent works very hard to leave lasting impressions with our guests, I am thrilled you were able to experience that. I can’t wait to share this review with the team; we look forward to hosting you and your family again.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Excellent service from JENNIFER at the front desk and the young lady who ran the morning coffee/breakfast area. Overall the amenities and little "W" extras were great However the service on the pool deck was terrible - the "towel" desk did NOT assist in seating or setting up your loungers and the food/cocktail waitresses were impossible to find - and it was very empty so it's not like they were otherwise busy on a random breezy Wednesday afternoon. All of the pool staff seemed to cluster and huddle and be chatting in a corner rather than assisting the guests. . . the complete opposite of every other staffed area of the hotel.

There is amazing attention to detail and design at the W with the bizarre exception of the in room hair-dryer which looked like it was from 1988.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
rjk2011 - Thanks for the lovely review. I am so happy to hear Jennifer and our W Cafe Barista helped you to have a wonderful experience. I have shared your feedback about the WET Deck with our management team. They are using this as a training tool to make sure we are offering consistent service around the property. Thanks again, we hope to see you soon!

J Doucette

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!