“Truly enjoyed!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

You added W Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
W Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #16 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Richmond, Virginia
“Truly enjoyed!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My recent stay at the W Fort Lauderdale was one of the most enjoyable stays I have ever had. I visited with my wife and son recently for pleasure and we had an amazing stay. We were not only impressed with the Fort Lauderdale area but also with the comfort the hotel provided from the time you arrived on the property. Everyone was extremely inviting and made you feel welcome at all times. We were fortunate to receive an upgrade to an awesome room with a view of downtown Fort Lauderdale and a partial view of the ocean. Although the beach was a short walk across the street and many shops a few blocks away, we spent most of our time at the hotel enjoying the pools, lounge, restaurants, and gym.

I would certainly recommend this property to others for I am sure the staff here can and will provide you with a wonderful stay. We are witness to their ability to provide outstanding customer service. -vao

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
vao199 - Why, thank you! I am delighted to read your family getaway was a success. What a nice review and it was our pleasure to take care of you and your family! We hope to see you again soon.
J Doucette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Southlake, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was here recently to close a business transaction, and the staff bent over backwards to accommodate me. They upgraded my room upon request to one with a conference table for my meeting, and were very helpful with copies/printing of documents throughout the day.

Thank you very much and I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jeremy B –Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. Hopefully we made life on the road a little easier for you. Looking forward to your return, whether for business or pleasure - we'll be tickled to welcome you back. Thanks!
Bow, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here on a business trip for a few nights. It is a nice location if visiting south Florida. Rooms were spacious, and filled with fun decor and amenities. Beach is across the street. The service was very good, and I'm typically picky about service. From the front desk, to the valets, the concierge and the bartenders, everyone was super-friendly, helpful, and made you feel like you we're an important guest. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view or ocean front room with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
NHElau – Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your time with us. It is also lovely to read our team of talent won you ever with their upbeat attitudes and genuine service. Whether you are in town for business or pleasure, we hope to welcome you back again!

Happy travels,
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

this review is a little late.... we stayed at this hotel for one night post cruise... Dec, 2011....

lets start off with check in... horrible we waited at the counter with NO line... and a service person on the phone... what the heck??? then a room wasn't ready... fine we were early by 1hour... we asked for advice to head to the outlet mall and we were sent to a desk where the guy tried to sell us some kind of tour.... regardless we took a cab he got... looked like his buddy and charged us $120 when the guy in the hotel quoted us $90

we got back to the hotel around 7pm....waited to get our bags out of storage took another 20mins.. waited in line to get our key.....travelled trough 2 towers got to the 20th floor.... and the room was dirty.....

the cleaning lady came started fixing the room asked us to leave.... i was 6 months pregnant... where in gods name were we suppose to go?!... So we sat on the floor in the hallway.

I asked the front desk to comp us something for the delays and the room not being ready... and they gave me free internet.... that's great.... then we ordered pizza and they made us walk through 2 towers to pick it up in the middle of the lobby where there was some kind of party going on.

OH this gets better.... in the middle of the night someone tried to get into our room.... we were not sure if it was staff or some drunk retard....

we couldn't be happier to leave..... upon check out we told the front desk what happened and the service desk girl just said we are sorry.... and charged my credit card.....

moral of the story... don't stay at the W.... waste of money and time... and patience

one good thing the room was pretty

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Canital – We appreciate you taking the time to share your important feedback. I am so sorry to read your December stay did not meet your expectations or mine. It is disappointing to see our team was unable to resolve some of the challenges you experience while here. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to GMscott.brooks@whotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The property is wonderfully sited opposite the beach and is a very modern appealing presence from outside.

I arrived early and was happy to learn my room was ready, it was a corner room and really very nice. A good size with a great balcony and fabulous bathroom with a bath that sat out on its own.

The bed has a white soft toy alligator on it which is a very nice touch and my suitcase and credit card got hit with two of them which are now on beds in London.

The property is very big so can take a little while to orientate as there are two sections.

The primary purpose of my visit was to sit in the sun and do very little, thankfully the property helped me do this nicely.

The pool area is quite relaxed if a little crowded, the staff are very friendly and I soon worked my way through a good few cocktails all of which where nice. The food I tried was fresh and light which made a nice change.

The W promotes a trendy environment which means a lot of the clientele are fairly desperate to be taken as such. This may distract or confuse some business travellers so do take time to get translations of W terminology if you're new to it.

With this particular property I felt the people who really made it were those at grass roots as they seemed more genuine and friendly. The guys at the valet, cleaners, maintenance, servers and those answering the phone.

I had to extend my stay due to a large storm in New York, the guys helped be with extending the stay and giving some guidance on what to do which most welcome.

When deciding where to stay this time I had an option of the W or Ritz Carlton, price was a factor which made me select the W. Based upon the experience I had I think I would use the W again.

In summary the room was ample, bathroom large and fun, balcony great with views over the Ocean as well as inland waterways.

Only criticisms, the WiFi in my room was not great, however the lobby area has free wifi.

Room Tip: I had a corner room which was great, I think it was classed as a Marvellous room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TravellersBlues – Thank you for the shining review! I am delighted our team of talent (employees) helped to keep you smiling throughout your stay. From Wheels (valet), to Style (housekeeping) to Stage (engineering) to Whatever / Whenever (guest services), it looks like our entire team helped you leave with a lasting impression. I am sorry to see you had trouble getting connected in your guest room and have shared this feedback with our IT (just IT) team. They are trying to make sure all future guests do not have connectivity issues. Thanks again, we hope to see you again soon!

Happy travels,
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I travel for business, but in this case I had a chance to take my wife along, and I wanted to get as nice of a hotel as possible, this one actually gave my company a great rate.

Easy to drive to, even in the offseason valet parking is mandatory. I'm sorry, I just don't like that. There is no reason for it when the lot isn't going to be extremely full. I like to drive/park my car myself.

The property is very clean, as soon as you walk in you realize that this is a very upscale hotel. Friendly staff were everywhere, and that was a theme for the duration. I requested an upgrade as plat and got a room with a kitchen. I was a bit disappointed that it was on the 6th floor, I hoped that my upgrades were worth more but you get what you pay for I guess, and I didn't pay much.

Workout room was great, good machines, up to 50lbs in weights and lots of cardio. Both pools were really incredible to look at, useless for swimming laps though.

The plat breakfast is $12 a person in the "W2Go" breakfast bar. That buys a filling breakfast of pastries, juice, and yogurt. Again very friendly staff.

Pros:
Incredibly designed building
Friendly staff
Great gym
Location

Cons:
Valet parking
Pools are not conducive to laps
Not a great bang for your buck plat experience (this is obviously not their target audience, so it's hard to hold it against them)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JDoucette, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Falgon – We appreciate your detailed feedback of you recent stay at W Fort Lauderdale. We love hearing from our loyal Starwood Preferred Guests. It is wonderful to read you were able to mix up a little business and leisure by bringing your wife along. While it is lovely to know you enjoyed the dynamic design, upbeat talent, and S.W.E.A.T. (fitness center); it is disappointing to read the Wet Deck and Wheels Parking did not meet your expectations. Thank you again, we hope to welcome you back again.

Novato
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Moved here from another property that had no internet (Pelican Resort) as this is a working vacation and internet important. 1st impressions was 4.5 stars but now after being here 4-days not so much. Very pricey indeed... at the pool yesterday order a drink and out came enough liquor to actaully not cover the little ice in the cup. I asked the amazingly nice server (everyone really nice here - but not Ritz Carlton nice) and she said it was an ounce and a half pour for $12... OMG that's crazy... then the couple next to us ordered their burger and fries and I was shocked... fries are an $8 add-on to an already overpriced $16 burger... Burger and fries = $24. We got changed and ate off-property (see Casablanca review)...

Then went out to Casablanca for dinner and came back to Whiskey Blue for an after dinner drink and the place was nice seemed fun had a nice crowd. No cocktail waitresses thought so I went to bar to get drinks and guess one of the bartenders doubles as the cocktail waitress, she leaves the bar by walking right by me without making eye contact and goes into the crowd... Hey lady I've been in line for 6-7 minutes patiently waiting... haha we left...

Service here is actually pretty good.. We will not eat here though. The pool area is nice as is the gym. But frankly for the cost, we wished the Ritz had availability. Our room has had 1 of 3 nights turn-down service... We're at the end of the hall so maybe he/she got tired... we know they had turn-down last night as one room we walked by had a note in the key-lock that they skipped them because dnd sign out... haha guess we lose..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
KenF150 – Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay at W Fort Lauderdale. It is wonderful to read you enjoyed the Whatever / Whenever service, WET Deck and S.W.E.A.T. (fitness center), although disappointing to hear about your experiences with Whiskey Blue and Style (housekeeping). I have communicated your important feedback to our operations team and they will use this as a training tool for their talent. Thank you again, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

J Doucette

Been to W Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!