“excellent value and great staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added Sun Tower Hotel & Suites on the beach to your Saves list
Sun Tower Hotel & Suites on the beach
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   2030 N Ocean Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305   |
toronto
“excellent value and great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed a total of 4 nights before and after a cruise vacation. The location is fantastic, right on the beach. The room was spacious for our family of 4 and we appreciated the fridge so that we could buy a carton of milk, box of cereal, drinks, sandwich meat etc to save the hassle of going out for breakfast. The restaurant is also amazing, especially the thai chicken appetizer. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. I plan to go back and have recommended this hotel to several friends who will also visit. Don't be intimidated that it is not part of a chain. It is a well run independent hotel with all the regular conveniences.

Room Tip: happy hour at the restaurant provides excellent value
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed at the Sun Tower Hotel and Suites for 3 nights.

The hotel is in a decent location with a nice pool, beach, and great views of the ocean. The complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas are great. Parking is also complimentary, although not many spots, however, this is not a problem because they allow you to double park and leave your keys so they can move your car if the blocked car needs to get out and will also pull your vehicle in a parking spot when one is available.

The rooms are large, however, in dire need of renovation. . . saggy mattress, old pithy blanket, chipping rattan furniture, damaged walls and moldings, dark/dirty looking carpeting, old fixtures and bathroom, a toilet that barely flushed, a sink that barely drained, a loud air conditioner, old tube tv, etc. etc. The balcony in our room was also very, very small. . . barely large enough for 2 resin chairs.

We did not eat or drink at the on-site restaurant/bar so can not comment, however, it did have a nice view of the ocean and tv's outside.

We enjoyed our stay at sun tower hotel and suites and would recommend it because of the location, pool, beach and amenities; however, until the rooms are updated/renovated it is a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband, adult son and I just spent a week there. What a wonderful place to stay! We had a King Suite....plenty of room, very clean and huge sliding glass doors which we kept open all week to hear the ocean which is 20 ft from your room.The staff could not be nicer...Kudos to Amanda, Mihalia, Carlos, Christine who are always willing to go the extra mile. Housekeeping staff, especially Carolyn, is superb. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Onsite restaurant has unbelievably delicious food. Parking never a problem. Great pool....not that big, but sooooo relaxing.Beach chairs, towels and umbrellas provided free of charge. There's not one
thing about this hotel that we weren't pleased with. Do yourself a favor.....when you come to Ft Lauderdale, run....don't walk to the Sun Tower.

Room Tip: We had the King Suite on 6th floor. Marvelous views, quiet....when we go again will request same typ...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for just two nights as part of our holiday / road trip from Miami to Orlando.
First impressions were not good as we were waiting at reception for at least 15 minutes before seeing any staff.
I noticed a guest sitting next to a computer which I thought would be very useful for a spot of local research, emailing, or maybe for printing off travel documents. She was using an Ipad which also looked to be complimentary.
We were eventually greeted by a friendly receptionist who swiftly handed us our keys and directed us to our room.
Upon entering the room we were very pleased as it was clean, fresh, and overall very pleasant. The balcony was a bit on the small side but had a table and two chairs with just enough room to sit, relax with a drink, and enjoy the view. Look down and you'll see a small bar and seating area with the beach about 5 yards from the hotel. The beach is clean as you'd expect in Florida, and the hotel provides and sets out about 20 complimentary loungers and umbrellas. The sea is a further 20 yards or so and has a very gradual slope so I expect would be quite safe for kids.
The room was quite large and comfortable and had plenty of space. All the standard complimentary beverage and bathroom items were provided.
The downsides were not major but prevent me from giving full marks. The wireless computer access was unreliable and I ended up being refunded the $5, but worst of all was that the air conditioning unit was terribly noisy. I know from experience that they are never silent, but this one woke me up on occasions during the night.
We have stayed in Miami and Ft Lauderdale a few times now but this is easily the best value so far.

Room Tip: I sneaked a peek through the window of one of the suites and would probably pay the extra couple of...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Wausau, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a classic get what you pay for hotel. Not super, but we really liked it for a short stay on the beach. I have read some of the bad reviews for this hotel and I can understand many of the opinions. However, if your are expecting a 5 star hotel for $100, you are a fool. That being said, the hotel was ON THE BEACH, which was great. It was a fairly quiet place. The restaurant was small but quaint and the food and beverage service was pleasant. The rooms are good-sized former condos with small functional kitchens. The bathroom and shower were small, but it did not bother me. Nice to have balcony's overlooking a big ocean view. Beach was nice. It was a very comfortable stay and the price was right.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed there for 3 days prior to departing on an 8 day Caribbean cruise. The location and value is the best !! We had the King Suite on the 6th floor. The beach and ocean views were just wonderful. and you can open the sliding glass doors leading to the private balcony and sit right in your living room and enjoy the views while having breakfast or a few drinks. That is priceless !! It's a small property but that makes it even more inviting. The staff was friendly, the rooms a litle less modern but very clean and spacious. The food at the restaurant is great and reasonably priced. Parking is limited BUT FREE !! We had no problems finding a parking space. We will definitely be back for another visit !!

Room Tip: Try to get the King suites on the 6th floor. Very spacious with excellent ocean/beach views !!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I have just returned from this hotel. I found it exactly as the description said. It is perfect in everyway for the beach. No roads to cross at all. I stayed in the junior suite which is about 6steps away from the beautiful beach. Everday I got a sun lounger of my choice with umbrella.
The only down side is and this isn't on the hotel, you DO need a car here in FL. If you havent got one you are pretty scupered!! The nearest groocery shop is a good 30mins walk and you have to cross severel wide busy road which I didnt like. The drivers in FL are pretty mad. To go to any restaurants again its a cab as too far to walk. Too far to walk anywhere really and its very hot to walk too far anyway. You have to get cabs everywhere which arent cheap so if you DO stay at this hotel and you dont have a car just be aware that is a little way from anywhere.
The hotel suite was big and roomy. Nice little kitchenette. I didnt see any creepy crawlies although I did notice lots of rentakill little things scattered around various parts of the room. These were obviously working for my room which was ground floor, as I didnt even see so much as an ant.
I can reccomend this hotel The staff are pretty friendly. The bar only sells beers or wines so if you are a gin guzzler like me then you have to go to the Pelican beach resort next door for a gin fix. They do nice bar food at the Sun tower but some of the titles of the dish are a bit strange and confusing. Not that cheap, but then the whole area isn't I found.
There is free internet pc in the reception area which I always had no trouble using.
Yes basically this is a very good hotel but all I can sress IS you DO need a car if you want to get around. Its a long way to come from the UK for a beach holiday but having said that it is an excellant beach with tropical warm waters so not so bad
ENJOY!!!

Room Tip: i think all rooms have ocean view but I would go for a suite
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Been to Sun Tower Hotel & Suites on the beach? Share your experiences!