“Tropical Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

1115 Tequesta Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Tropical Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

This place, the Mango House, was perfect. Stayed here with eight members from my sports league for a tournament in Ft Lauderdale. It (as well as Bamboo Lofts which we occupied) was awesome. It is very clean with comfy furnishings. And the pool and hot tub were just what me and my teammates needed after long days of ball games. The barbecue grill was also great for our small team gathering. Nice and secluded, this place is truly a hidden gem. It is secure, tranquil and conveniently close to the airport. A rental car is needed for travel but the tradeoff for such a great place is worth it. Thanks to Keith and his staff for working with us. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms at this place are great. Clean and comfy. Rental car needed. I think this place is r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sherbrooke, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The virtual tour and photos are honest and reflect the basically good quality of the accommodations. Unfortunately, the in-person experience left us a bit disappointed. We were shocked to see that above the studio where we were staying was a family with kids and a puppy. Normally that wouldn't have been a problem. But with hardwood floors upstairs, a puppy who whined incessantly when left alone and less than soundproof structures, we were unpleasantly surprised by all the noise which culminated in serenades played on a saxophone or trumpet by what was surely a well-intentioned child simply practicing his instrument while on vacation. The Terms and Conditions state that no one under 16 years of age is allowed without express permission, which I imagine the family had gotten. I guess we assumed there would be no kids. But we were wrong. Another big disappointment was the pool temperature. We assumed that, especially in early January, that the water in the "heated" pool would at least be warm enough for a swim. No one went near the pool the days we were there. The jacuzzi was apparently only turned on after 10 pm. We never saw it running or set to a warmer temperature than the pool. We reserved at Mary's Resort expressly for the heated pool, telling ourselves that due to the distance to the beaches we could always stay at the resort and swim in the pool. Never happened. The Jasmine Suite and the Royal Palm Room are small efficiency apartments. However, we planned our vacation on the idea that we could stock the refrigerator with food and cook our meals in the apartment to save money. The Jasmine Suite "kitchenette" as advertised on the website as "Kitchenette (sink, stove, refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker)" was definitely not that. The stove was the equivalent to a hotplate which barely heated up and the refrigerator (the 2nd one, because the original wasn't working) was a tiny, hotel-room sized mini-fridge. Needless to say, we ate out more often than we had planned. The place is in a remote neighborhood with nothing around of any interest. You need to drive everywhere. However, it feels safe, as you have to enter a code to access the site. The beaches are about 15 to 20 minutes away by car. There is no one on-site. You have to page the concierge and he comes pretty quickly to respond to your needs. We just thought this place was going to be more fun, more like the description on the website. It looks great and for all intents and purposes may and probably does appeal to a certain clientele. We had four short days in Fort Lauderdale and expected quieter, more user-friendly accommodations. Instead we were constantly bothered by one distraction or another.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Jasmine Suite. The kitchenette is useless if you want to cook meals and it'...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
KeithFortLauderdale, Owner at Mary's Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
I'd like to start out by thanking you once again for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review. I offer the following responses to clarify some details in your review.

Mary's Resort is a small, boutique property, which prides itself in personalized guest services. We provide laundry machines, gas barbeque grills, beach chairs, umbrellas, coolers, etc. for guest use. Each guest is also given our managers phone number, for any special requests.

The reviewer is correct in his statement that guests under 16 must fist be "cleared" prior to making a reservation. The reason is that we do not have a "kiddie" fence around the pool and we don't offer a playground, etc. The Historic nature of the property would not allow it. It would be both illegal and discriminatory for us to "ban" children. In reality, very few children stay with us. We are pet-friendly and the resort is named after my dog, Mary.

We heat our pool 24-hours a day with a heat-pump. If the outside temperature dips in the 50-degree range, it will take some time for the heater to catch up. The Jacuzzi is heated to 102 degrees from 6:00 PM until 12:00 Midnight, 7 nights a week. We also ask guests to let us know if they have a specific request for the Jacuzzi hours. We heat it between those hours, because 90% of our guests prefer to use it in the evenings. Not once did this guest mention an issue while he was with us. He wouldn't "see it running" because it is all run by electronic timers. I'm not sure when this guest was in the pool area, but others were using the pool while he was here.

The Royal Palm room is not an "efficiency apartment" as the guest reported. It is a room with a King bed and other amenities as stated on our website. The guest stayed in the Jasmine Suite and the kitchenette is exactly as pictured and described on our website. The same configuration is in all of our Suites. The refrigerator works fine, but the guest did complain that it wasn't cold enough. Rather than argue with him, the manager let him use his personal refrigerator, which he got from his own home. The refrigerator is small and isn't meant to hold a weeks worth of grocery's. Again, it is as pictured on our website.

Regarding the noise complaint: I am sorry to hear that the other guests made noise. We did receive your complaint and immediately spoke with the guests above you. They were very apologetic and made every effort to reduce any loud noise. Both the Royal Palm Room and the Jasmine Suite have the Bamboo Loft above them. All of our other accommodations are single-story, with no one above them. Again, I am sorry that you were bothered by other guests.

Regarding the location: We are located 6 blocks West of Downtown Fort Lauderdale, one mile East of I-95 and in a very central area. Fort Lauderdale Beach is 3.5 miles to the East. I really don't understand why you consider this to be a remote location. Fort Lauderdale is spread out and we always recommend a car to our guests. We provide gated parking for one car per accommodation.

Keith Blackburn
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed two nights at Mary's Resort in the Bamboo loft, my experience was fantastic! It is nestled between Bamboo trees, and Palm trees, I loved sitting on the deck. I felt like I was on an exotic paradise island. The suite was clean and very comfortable. It was a little chilly to use the pool, water was warm, air was too cold for me! The location is great. I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I loved the Bamboo Loft!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Mahogany Suite during boat show at Mary's mainly to check it out for a possible stay with our dog. I have to say-- for a place that accepts pets -- it is very, very nice. There were no dogs staying during our visit (not even Mary!) but this would be a great place to stay with a pet. Very comfy bed and lush grounds. But be aware of two things-- one, there is no daily maid service. And two, it is located in a transitional neighborhood. The property itself if very secure, but Sailboat Bend is still a mixed bag of gentrification. You can walk to the Las Olas riverfront (20 minute stroll), but not sure I would do it at night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
KeithFortLauderdale, Owner at Mary's Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your candid input, which helped me to make a change to our policy.

As background; about 15-months ago, I sent a survey to past guests. I asked if they would rather save money, with a reduction in rates in exchange for not having daily maid service. We promised to stock the accommodations with extra linens, toilet tissue, etc.

Nearly 100% of those who responded said they would rather have reduced rates then daily maid services. So, that's what we did. We also advertised this and made sure arriving guests knew what to expect.

Over the past month or so, we have had several guests who felt that they wanted daily maid service. Unless specific arrangements are made in advance, all accommodations will now have daily maid service. We will also make every attempt to maintain the rates as they are now. Our goal is to make everyone happy and comfortable while at Mary's Resort.

In response to the resort being in a "transitional" area: We recognize that we are located in the shadows of Downtown Fort Lauderdale and because of this, we are in am urban setting. The neighborhood is known as "Sailboat Bend" and is the only Historic neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale. In the 5 years we have been open, we have not had any reported incidents involving a guest. The entire resort is gated (for privacy and security) and guests use a code to open the parking and pedestrian gates. I urge everyone to use care, regardless of where they stay or go. There is no place that is 100% safe and free of crime.
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

My partner and I recently spent a long weekend at Mary's with our dog and found it to comfortable and convenient. The rooms are furnished with almost anything that you might need and the units are so spread out that you almost never see other guests unless at the pool/spa at the same time. The grounds are a tropical paradise and with adequate gated parking so you really don't have a care. If bringing a dog there are plenty of walking opportunities if that is your pleasure. We enjoyed the small manicured park about a block away. To the south of the park is a small bridge over the river which takes you to a beautiful residential area, also nice for a walk even by yourself. Location is convenient to Broward Center which we enjoyed , Las Olas Blvd. and Wilton Manors.John, the manager is very friendly and informative--he actually wrote down directions to local Publix mkt. without our asking. Always asked if we needed anything and if all was well. The mood lit spa & pool tops off this place and made late evenings very relaxing.

Room Tip: Each room is unique so look at the site and location map.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

The resort was very convenient to all shops etc.. Once you enter the gates it was like a tropical paradise. The manager John was very helpful and nice and helped us with everything we needed. You will definatly not find anyone like him in that kind of resort bussiness. We will definatly visit soon..

JERRY AND JERRY FROM CHICAGO

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Being a local who had just sold my house, I needed a short term place to say. I chose a resort by the beach which turned out to be a disaster. Needless to say, l needed a place to stay which was pet frienly. I did a google search and found Mary's Resort as one of three which takes pets. The other two I called said they didn't take pets anymore. I called Mary's late at 10:30 PM. Keith the proprieter answered the phone as he was leaving the gym. I explained my situation and that I was looking for a 30 day short term place to stay.
I was amazed that he took the time to come meet me at 11:00 PM to show me the resort and the accomodations he had available. I was pleasantly surprised. This place is great! Although not right on the beach, it'ls location is conveniently near the beach, the restaurants on Los Olas, and the night live in Wilton Manors.

The resort itself is very private and secure. Once you pass the gate, you enter into a tropical paradise. The heated pool is surrounded by lush foilage, tiki torches, and is nicely lighted at night. The jacuzzi is also very relaxing after a long day. The grounds are well maintained with paths and walkways which lead to cozy sitting areas. Additionally, the variety of room types to choose from is nice. The resort has everything from a standard room to 2 bedroom house which would be great for a group of friends. I decided on the Bamboo Suite with a private balcony. It was perfect for me, my partner and dog!

The onsite manager, John is a great guy who maintains the grounds, rooms and lives at the resort. Anything we needed, John graciously accomodated.

Being in the hotel bunisess, my expectations are high and I was pleasantly surprised by Mary's Resort. I will certainly be spreading the word that ths is a fantastic place to stay!

Thank you Keith and John for the outstanding hospitality.

Room Tip: Website thoroughly details each room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mary's Resort? Share your experiences!