“Value for money. Close to beach at Bahia Mar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor Beach Inn

Save Saved
You added Harbor Beach Inn to your Saves list
Harbor Beach Inn
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1147 Seabreeze Blvd (A1A), Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316   |
Dublin
“Value for money. Close to beach at Bahia Mar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good location near beach and Bahia harbour. 5-10 mins by taxi to Port Everglades. Nice budget independent hotel for short stay at the beach esp before your cruise sails.

The room was cleaned daily and towels refreshed daily (I think another reviewer wrote that daily cleaning was an extra charge - it wasn't). Staff were very friendly. The pool area was small but very clean: I didn't get a change to take a dip but it looked OK.

It's on a loud 4 lane road, but if you sleep with earplugs its not a problem.

There is a water-taxi stop just 5 minutes walk away at Bahia Mar, this is a fun way to see the waterways and get downtown to Las Olas Blvd.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week, they are in a great location, but that's just a bonus. If you are looking for a clean, homey, family style place, Stay Here! If you want a cookie cutter hotel with staff you will never see twice, and an en suite hair dryer, pay more and get a big box hotel.
P.S. really love the sweet kitty that lives here. She can be seen napping, but never intrusive.

• Stayed April 2013
kidderminster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great Location well within reasonable walking distance of the action!, nice little hotel, a little noisy being close to the road but not to bad. Clean simple rooms and nice grounds including pool. good value.

Room Tip: we had a first fllor room, ground might have been quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

They have an interesting website. I decided to critique it.

I stole this idea from Phil Spencer (Secret Agent). So, thanks Phil.

The particulars on the Hotel’s website say:

Location.
“Located in Fort Lauderdale, Harbor Beach Inn is near the airport and close to Jungle Queen Riverboat...”

I say that it’s near a beach and various other hotels. If the bridge is open and/or traffic is bad, the drive from the airport could take the better part of a day.

“Hotel Features.
Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool. Complimentary wireless Internet access ... Other property amenities at this Art Deco property include a terrace, multilingual staff, and tour/ticket assistance. The property has designated areas for smoking.”

I say that there is a pool which no one used. I am not sure what one would call the design but it wouldn’t even be Art Garfunkel. The staff were almost never at the desk (in order to ask them a foreign question). The smoking area seemed to be just outside our room 205 (our room).

“Guestrooms.
13 air-conditioned guestrooms … feature coffee/tea makers and complimentary bottled water. Accommodations offer city, pool, or garden views. …Kitchenettes include microwaves and refrigerators. Bathrooms feature shower/tub combinations with rainfall showerheads and hydromassage showerheads. They also offer complimentary toiletries. … Rooms also include clock radios. ... Housekeeping is available daily.”

I say, air conditioner may cause sleepless nights, best not used during resting hours. Coffee/tea makers and bottle water are to be used once per stay. In order to assure that this happens, there will be none changed, cleaned or replaced, any coffee related items for the following days. Kitchenettetinnis are basically just a wooden stand with small fridge and microwave on it (see photo). Like the water and coffee, the toiletries will also not be renewed. The bar of soap in the shower is to be reused by the next guests. So, please do not dispose of it. There might or might not be a clock radio, this depends on what room you have. Housekeeping might be available but due to a lack of staff, it might not be.

And here is some point form site info (I’ve taken the liberty of rewriting them – you can follow along at their website).
Harbor Beach Inn Amenities

• I say, there are few if any outside, non-smoking areas
• I say, there free Wi-Fi but don’t forget the capital in the password

I guess the next three lines make it sound really important but are all true
• Free guest parking
• Free parking
• Free parking (limited spaces)

• I say, few if any (Multilingual) staff –
• I say, there are 2 floors but no elevator
• Parking nearby – I say, enough said
• Parking nearby (surcharge) – I say, More than enough said
• I say, what are chaise longues?
• I say, there is a nice looking outdoor pool.
• I say, there is definitely a Terrace
• I say, I didn’t count the rooms but there could be 13 (don’t worry, there is no room numbered 13).
• I say, we did, three times, have staff help us (although once they had never heard of a local state park) but most of the time there was no one around.
• I say, the building really shows its age.

Info on our room

Standard King
I say, the second floor overlooks the Best western and the Sheraton (which have now been overlooked by you). If you have a rear window, don’t look out it. The bed is comfortable and if the traffic noise was less and/or the neighbours would stop yelling at each other, you would get a very comfortable sleep (don’t use the a/c). The bathroom may or may not have a shower/tub combo but it will probably have a nicely used bar of soap and some very strange looking rainfall shower head. This room is the only Non-Smoking area that I could find.

They list the following point forms
I say the A/C is off if you cannot hear it.
I say that the TV was a bonus
City view – I say, there are no views (at least, they shouldn’t mention this).
I say, clock radios are in at least one room but not ours
I say, Coffee/tea maker to be used once only.
I say, bottle water will appear once only.
I say, toiletries are to be shared with next guest(s)
Courtyard view – I say, enough said
Daily housekeeping – I say, enough said
Garden view – I say, enough said
I say, hair dryer on request, if you can find anyone around. There are no phones to ask for one.
Hydromassage showerhead – I say, Showerhead in each bathroom
Kitchenette – I say, Kitchenettetinni
Microwave – I say, Kitchenettetinni
Pool view – I say, more than enough said
Rainfall showerhead – I say, enough said
Refrigerator – I say, Kitchenettetinni
Shower/tub combination – I say, tub(s) is (are) in at least one bathroom

In conclusion

I think that this is perfectly suited for beach bums who can afford the reasonable cost per night.

They have very comfortable beds and reasonably nice terraced area. To be fair, we didn’t use the pool and did not have any problems with their parking (other than traffic and entrance to their street and having to make an illegal left turn into it). Wireless Internet access is complimentary and worked well (once we found that a capital letter is required). LCD televisions have a great selection of channels. I’ve complained about this many times in the past. So, to be fair, they had great toilet paper.

The very bottom line is; there are no phones in the rooms. So, in the case of questions, or to complain about neighbours, or in case of emergencies, you’d better have a cellphone.

PS They have a Tripadvisor decal on their office widow. It might be scraped off soon.

Room Tip: Stay across the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Bedford, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here for a night prior to a cruise.Cute hotel in a decent area. Far from hustle and bustle of the beach strip, so I found it quiet.
The room was very clean and was a decent size for the price. Wood floors, AC, TV, free WIFI, temperpedic mattresses and also free parking...
I arrived after 8pm and there was no one at the desk, but a sign saying to call for assistance. Within 5 mins a man arrived at the desk (I am assuming it was the manager) and he looked up my reservation and money and off we went to the room. (he was not mean, but not pleasant either.. I felt as if I was bothering him by being there)
He led me up to room 201 (second floor, end room) opened the door and handed me the keys to the room that were sitting on the bed.
He showed me around the room, told me about the hotel cat and went on his way.
I unloaded the car and put stuff in my room and left to go shopping and grab some supper and drinks with friends staying across the street.
We returned to the hotel at 2:30am and got to the room and could not open the door. The keys didn't seem to want to work... When I looked at the keys, it was then that I noticed I was given the keys to room 202 and not to room 201 where all my stuff was now locked up.
I went to the front desk, the door was locked but the number to call for service was still there. We called twice to try to get in the room, but got no answer, we left a message saying that we had been given the wrong keys and couldn't get in to our room.
We then stood outside the room for about 30 mins trying to unlock the door and finally broke in the room by popping the lock with the car key and room key.
The following morning I had errands to run prior to heading out to the cruise ship, I started checking the desk area at 8am thru to 9am and there was no one available. I finally called the number at the desk. The man from the night before answered the phone and I told him I had been given the wrong keys and I needed the right keys for my room so I could go run errands.
He didn't seem too happy with the fact that he had to help me with keys stating that I had woke him up. When he did make it to the desk he didn't even offer an apology for the mistake and for making me stand outside in the morning or even care that I had to break in to the room.
He just gave me the keys and said there you go...
If it wasn't for his attitude and me feeling like I was bothering him I would have enjoyed the place and told everyone I know that it is a great place to stay... It's sad because it was very inexpensive, very clean and very comfortable...
Having said that... If you are looking for a really nice hotel, at a really good price, and don't care how you are treated.. This is your place...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one night. I was a bit worried as it was the lowest budget hotel we'd stayed in on our trip around the US, however was greeted with a smile and the room was clean.

We walked out for dinner, drinks and the beach. We parked for free right outside.
It wasn't a huge room, for US standards but it was perfectly adequate. I think it was worth the money we paid for it.
I would say I probably wouldn't have felt happy leaving valuables in the room but this was just because the locks and security didn't seem particularly vigilant.

They also have a hotel cat, we didn't see it but I thought it would have probably put some people off!

It felt like a very family run hotel, its up to you if you think it was a good or a bad thing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Prince Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed for one night in Fort Lauderdale and booked this hotel because of the good rate we got through Expedia ($100 taxes in). We have never travelled to this area before and found the hotel quite easily. We were very very happy with our choice. This is prime location to the cruise terminals as well as walking distance to the beach and many bars & restaurants. The rooms have been recently updated with new paint, furniture & bedding etc. We received awesome brand name samples as our toiletries in the room. The bed was SO comfortable (I think they're memory foam). Though we didn't spend time at the pool, the area was large and fenced in and very clean. I would definitely recommend this little boutique hotel to anyone needed a room in the area whether just a quick overnight stay or a longer trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 102 in the back corner. It was very quiet. The hotel is next to a noisy street and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbor Beach Inn? Share your experiences!