“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobelle Resort

You added Cocobelle Resort to your Saves list
Cocobelle Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2831 Vistamar Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Ranked #38 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New Zealand
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed 10 nights while visiting family in Ft. Lauderdale and enjoyed our stay here. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with kitchen facilities. The rooms were light, spacious and nicely decorated. We liked that we were able to open the windows that were all fitted with screens and have fresh air circulate through the rooms. We are probably not the type of people that could stay in a sealed, air conditioned, hotel box for 10 nights and stay sane! The pool was clean and all areas were kept tidy. The only problem we had was that on a couple of nights when we had noisy people in the room next door and the sound travelled through the connecting doors. Ernest didn't seem to be too happy about us complaining, I think he needs to work on his customer service skills but he did go out and get some soundproofing and install it between the doors so they really do try to make customers comfortable. The soundproofing made a difference when the next people stayed. I think all these old hotel complexes will have noise issues to some degree so it goes with the territory. There is no traffic noise here which is nice. The location is at least a 10 minute walk to restaurants etc. not a problem if you have a car. Overall we thought this was a pleasant place to stay and was good value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

We stayed last year at the same time, this year we found ants in our room, the pool was dirty and not nearly the good experience we had last year, we probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Over rated resort.. We booked this resort based on reviews..Room #9 was a large and clean suite ..Resort in a rather run down area of Fort Lauderdale..We would never walk in this area in the evening..They recommended a restaurant about two blocks from resort which we walked to see and said not likely....We then drove a mile or two further south to a better area with many restaurants to choose from also found the beach in that area was much better as well..
We stayed two nights but only person in the pool was our son..

• Stayed February 2009
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights after a 10 Day Cruise with my parents, sister and her husband. We booked two suites. I don’t expect much from people, but I was shocked at the attitude of Dorothy when we walked in to check in. Not one smile from Dorothy or Ernest. Although my blond brother in law received a warm welcome which was complete opposite of what my sister and I received. Unable to print out our airline boarding pass as "too busy" although we were the only ones checking in and then when we checked back later, their computer was down. They failed to book our taxi for the airport after assuring us they would and only did after we followed up which was very challenging as the office closes at 7pm. There is no luggage room, just leave your luggage outside in front of the main office, accessible to anyone walking on the street passing by.

I have travelled to over 30 countries around the world and what threw me the most, was the total lack of a smile or any sense from Dorothy that we were paying customers. I have NEVER met anyone so RUDE and unhelpful who works in the hospitality industry. The rooms are clean (although we had ants) and pretty bright during the day (at night was hard as main lamp was busted and was not repaired until next day) Rooms are spacious and it is walking distance to the beach. Sadly, as there are only two staff to help you and neither one are friendly or helpful, I will never stay here again. If you don't care about the unhelpful, rude staff, then go ahead, but common courtesy matters to me so we won't be back.

• Stayed February 2009
Southern Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed here quite by accident and loved every minute of it. We were stranded for 2 days in Fort Lauderdale due to flights being over booked. My son found us this place while we were still at the airport. We called and spoke to Dorothee and she was wonderful. She actually waited in the office until after 9:00 p.m. for us to show up. She then took the time to give us a personal tour of our mini suite and make sure we were comfortable. In addition, she told us all about the area, where to get a drink, where to eat that evening, and where to get breakfast or lunch. The resort itself is of older design but very tastefully renovated and redorcated. It's located 2 blocks from the beach and a short walk from lots of shops and restaurants. We couldn't have asked for a better place or nicer people. Coccobelle is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

There were lots of positives here, but I don't understand why we felt differently about the Inn Keepers. WE did not feel them as friendly towards us.We were rushed through check in and she had a tennis game and told us she would talk to us the next day. WE did not see her again until my husband returned keys. Maybe it was us. I don't know. I guess check out was earlier than we thought, our fault...our goodbye and thank you was "Check out was at 11."
The bed was uncomfortable and a very stong sewer smell in bathroom. I mentioned it to the the owner as we were leaving. He seemed surprised, but said he would get a new bed.
Alot of smokers at this hotel, including owners. If you smoke, you'll fit in. If you don't, it is not overwhelming. We stayed in room #5 and it was very very accomodating. WE had alot of privacy with private patio and deck with gazebo. I liked the setup very much. The pool was nice and very clean. The room was a nice surprise. Nicer than I thought. Small ants were no big deal, put food away!!!
I guess I would like the Inn Keepers to know that we specifically flew out to stay at their place because of reviews we had read.Just to stay at their place. WE were not going on a cruise. WE flew from Minnesota to stay at their hotel 3 nights because of the ratings. We did not think it was worth it . If we were just coming to stay as a stopover for a cruise, it would have been ok. We did not think they were very friendly or welcoming. WE then flew off to Mexico for a week. I wish we would have skipped this place and went directly to Mexico.
I am being forced to answer the Question would I recommend to a friend and I will answer yes. There were enough positives, especially if you are coming here anyway.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Well what can I say but amazing.....again! I stayed here in 2007 and when I did another cruise in 2008, where else could I stay but here and it did not disappoint in the slightest. Dorothee was just as wonderful as ever and again, nothing was too much trouble. The location with its closeness to the beach is just great and the rooms are so clean, bright and airy. I spent 4 days here in December and would, and have, highly recommended it to other people. If you want a small resort that is friendly, clean and where nothing is too much trouble, this is definitely THE place to stay!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

Been to Cocobelle Resort? Share your experiences!