“Great pre-cruise weekend stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Formerly St. Regis Resort, Fort Lauderdale)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Great pre-cruise weekend stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz-carlton Ft. Lauderdale a Saturday and Sunday Night in January and had a wonderful time. We had two rooms (since we brought guests with us) and both rooms were spacious and well appointed. One of my favorite parts about the hotel was that our bellman showed us how to control the lights and temperature of the room from the phone display. He also gave us a helpful tip that if the balcony door was not latched the air conditioning would not run. The club lounge had great food and drinks available and all the staff up there were extremely helpful. We enjoyed our stay and will be back on our next trip to Ft. Lauderdale.

702 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I will say that I used to stay at this property with my ex when we visited Fort Lauderdale. While the rooms are not as luxurious as some of the other Ritz properties I've stayed at (with the exception of the bathroom which is top notch if you get one with the sep. tub and shower) it is still a great place for the luxury minded traveler to stay in Ft. Lauderdale Beach who want to avoid cooler toting Larry the Cable guy types and younger spring break type crowd.

My issue with this property is that they are very sketchy with their Rewards redemption through either Marriott or Ritz rewards. I tried to book a room using my rewards points and even though plenty of standard rooms appeared for paid bookings, it would only allow me to book an oceanfront suite with my rewards points which for one night would cost the equivalent of a 3 night stay. It said regular rooms were not available for reward nights.

I was closing a business deal in Miami and decided to use my points to stay one extra night in Fort Lauderdale Beach ... but apparently not at the Ritz, even though there is PLENTY of availability. I had planned to spend a lot of money in the bar/restaurant by taking my team out after the closing but apparently the hotel would rather have $419 for a room than the reward points I accumulated for being brand loyal and any money I would spend on property. (those $18 cheeseburgers and $9 beers by the pool add up)

My suggestion for this hotel is to honor your guests using reward points as well as though willing to pay for the rooms. In the end, brand loyalty and travelers who seek out Ritz and Ritz-brand properties will spend a LOT more money with your brand over the years than someone booking a room for one night because they are taking a cruise.

I even had the reservationist I spoke with call the hotel to see if they would honor a rewards reservation for a standard room because there were plenty showing up ... but the manager of reservations at the hotel told her they would not be able to honor this. I guess that right there shows you exactly how good the customer service is at this hotel.

I suppose I will look into switching my brand from Marriott Rewards to SPG because at least they honor their top tier level guests looking to make stays with reward points. And I will skip the celebration drinks at the Ritz and go somewhere like the bar at the W Hotel instead. Just because it tells you there are rooms available for 50,000 points on the Marriott site, don't expect that to be true. When you further investigate you will find that it will take almost 150,000 points to book the room because they don't offer standard rooms to anyone but paying guests.

The overall vibe of the hotel is like a cruise ship ... it was inspired by a luxury liner, so you can almost expect the lobby to look like something from a cruise ship. Lots of marble and polished brass. It is classy but stark and minimalist. The rooms are kind of drab and could use some color, although the views from the balcony are great. The pool is very small and crowded but has plenty of attendents to provide towels. Overall, I can't complain about the hotel ... just its management.

Room Tip: Dont use reward points to book one!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am a Ritz Carlton fan. However, I was less than impressed with the Ritz in Fort Lauderdale. The quality of serivce you come to expect at all Ritz properties was inconsistent. It began with a less than enthusiastic bellman as we arrived. We traveled with another couple and we arrived at different times yet when we discussed our arrival we both had the same experience with the same bellman. My check-in however, was very pleasant. We paid for an ocean front/view room and requested a high floor, which we recieved. When we got into the room I sat on the bed only to find out that the duvet and insert was wet, not damp, but wet. My husband called the front desk and they informed him someone would be up immediately. After unpacking and waiting 30 minutes, I called the front desk again and was told a manager was on her way. The manager arrived five minuted later with a duvet cover in hand. When we further inspected the duvet she realized it was completely wet and needed to be replaced. Fifteen minutes later someone else showed up to change the bedding. I had also requested slippers from the manager and was told they only provide them if the guest ask. What and why! This is the Ritz and it's a guest expectation that the room have robes and slippers. Did I say I was paying $600 per night. Our view was great however, the furniture showed visible signs of wear and tear i.e. scarring on the furniture. Additionally, the bathroom only had one sink and it was small. There was a separate water closet however, the shower and tub were not separate. To access the shower was extremely ackward. To reach and turn the shower on you got wet in the process because of the design. Additionally, the little knob to pull the shower on was completely rusted. I shared with the hotel before we arrived that we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday. After dinner when we arrived in the room it had been turned down and waiting for us was a bottle of champagne and chocolate cake. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The next morning we went to the Via Luna restaurant for breakfast and unfortunately, the inconsistent service continued. The restaurant was not crowded however, we waited 10 minutes after being seated before we were offered coffee. Additionally, I had to get up and share this frustration with the hostess before we even recieved the coffee. After another 15 minute wait they delivered a plate of fruit and yogurt as an apology for the long wait. Our total time in the restaurant for breakfast was an hour and twenty minutes. The coffee and food once it arrived was great. The evening concierge was very friendly and helpful in suggesting restaurants and making reservations. Two times we called ahead for our car that was valet parked (as recommended by the bell staff) and both times had to wait considering we called ahead and there were no other guests waiting.The attendants at the beach were very helpful with lounge chairs, towels and water. Wish there was bar service at the beach. We did witness non Ritz guest paying the attendants in cash for lounge chairs. I don't know if this is the policy. What if paying Ritz guests wanted seats yet there weren't any because they were given to non Ritz guests. This seemed like they were taking bribes for seats. Our breakfast service on the second and third days were exceptional. Very prompt and friendly and exactly what one expects from the Ritz staff. Water was offered each time we retrieved our car. Overall, this was not a bad experience, just not as special as I had wished and have come to expect and experience at the Ritz chain. I don't know if I will stay at this property if I travel back to Fort Lauderdale. The price just didn't match the overall experience.

Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I recently enjoyed a 4 night stay at the Fort Lauderdale Ritz Carlton for a business trip. The accommodations were exquisite and the staff was friendly and accommodating. The location was perfect to restaurants and transportation. The bar was a perfect hang out for a few friends or a large crowd. The wait staff was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Montgomery, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The staff and management at this hotel understand the meaning of quality and service. From the valet team, desk staff, bar tenders and restaurant staff, everyone was polite, efficient and professional. The property was beautifully maintained and conveniently located. if you get an opportunity to stay here you will not be disappointed.

Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We travelled to the Ritz Carlton for my sister's 40th birthday party. The staff at the Ritz did everything to make the weekend memorable.
We had adjoining oceanfront rooms (thank you Ritz!)- simply breathtaking.
This hotel has its own pedestrian bridge for beach access which made going to the beach a breeze.
We ate breakfast daily at their restaurant overlooking the ocean. It was simply delicious

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I love the Ritz. We have stayed in a variety of Ritz properties, and this one was just not up to what we expect. From check in, where instead of a professional greeting, we got a woman more interested in adjusting her pony tail, to the poor service and less than terrific food at the poolside restaurant, this property was not up to snuff. This is the only Ritz where I have been charged for Internet access. The rooms were fine, but nothing special. All in all, while I will continue to patronize the chain, I will not go back to the Ft. Lauderdale Ritz.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!