“Fine location, but hotel needs some attention” 3 of 5 stars

Vistamar Villa
2901 Vistamar Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304-4017   |
Ranked #29 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Providence Rhode Island
“Fine location, but hotel needs some attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way to the Keys. The positives are the owners (very accommodating), location (close to the boardwalk/beach), and overall funky vibe (cheery Christmas lights around the public area). A significant negative was our room, Room 105. It was a corner room with little ventilation. The fan or AC was not on so when we entered the room, it had a strong mildew odor. We tried putting on the AC/fan to see if it would alleviate the smell but no luck. We decided to see if we could switch rooms; the owners were great. They checked out the odor and agreed that there was an issue and needed to do something about it. They said that no one had complained before so they didn't know it was an issue. That's why it's so important to let owners know so they can fix any problems. They put us in a suite for the night which was more than adequate. No mildew odor but there was an issue with the television remotes. They didn't work; not a huge problem but another issue that wasn't quite right. I said something the next day so they were aware of the problem. All in all, for the money, I think it was fine for one night. I don't think we would stay there for any extended period of time.

Room Tip: Go for the suites.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
vvilla, Owner at Vistamar Villa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
This guest states the room has little ventilation. This room has a large opening window – 52” X 55” – a three speed overhead fan and an air conditioner. In addition, there is a separate, opening window in the bathroom. Because this room backs on to the Bonnet House forest and it was a warm evening, it is possible there may have been some odors from this source. In any case, I agreed there was an issue as this was obviously bothering her and odors are a subjective issue with some people more sensitive than others. I did not agree it was mold but I try not to argue with guests. It’s a no win situation. Our first impulse is to make things right so we immediately offered to move them to our most expensive suite from the single studio room they had reserved and they readily accepted. In fact, they were very happy and thanked us at checkout so it was a surprise to see this review trashing us.

Furthermore, the room in question had been occupied continuously since before Christmas, including a family from Germany who were there for 12 days with a 4 month old child, and we had no comments regarding a mildew or any other odor in the room. All walls, floors and ceilings at the Vistamar are concrete. There is no wood or drywall in the place and there are no signs of mildew on the concrete.

After the guests who wrote this review left, we had a couple check in to the same room who were pleased enough with the accommodation that they extended their original four day stay to six days. Again no complaints about odors.

With respect to this reviewer’s inability to operate a television remote, this is something we have no control over but could have been solved by asking us instead of including it in their review as another issue that wasn’t right with our establishment. This “issue” was quite simple to resolve. After they left, we discovered the bedroom and living room television remotes had been switched. Although the remotes are identical, the television brands in the two rooms are different.

At checkout this couple seemed happy and thanked us. Now we learn this guest’s heightened olfactory perception and inability to operate a television remote control have turned into “hotel needs some attention”.

We know we’re not even close to perfect, but we are constantly striving to improve and work very hard to do so. We take 2 days off every month and stay in different categories of hotels to see how others are doing things and have yet to discover one that doesn’t require some or a lot of attention and this includes 4 star hotels, but we don’t write trivial reviews about them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at this location for a week last year. It was a lot of fun. It is a 5 min walk to the beach or you can just hang out by the pool. The rooms were looked after each day which was nice because I never make my bed. I really liked how this place was personable, it wasn't like staying at the Holiday Inn or some corporate place where nobody gives a care about your stay. The owners were friendly and pretty much bent over backwards to meet our silly requests...what were those requests? Swapping TV's with a room that was not used for that week because my Playstation 3 did not hook up to the TV in my original room, giving me the wi-fi password so that we could surf the internet and send emails back home to our family in Canada (which we could have done from our phones really...) and putting really no limitations on what can be done or enjoyed. They have a BBQ which guests can use, outdoor table, several chairs. The owner also did not hesitate to engage in conversation with us which allowed us to find out some places to go which we probably would not have known of. He also drew us a map to his favorite breakfast place and it was awesome. Any complaints? Nope, although we got a warning to keep our voices down when in the pool...it was 1am and the pool was supposed to close at 9pm. So not only was the owner/manager nice enough to not kick us out of the pool, he was just looking out for the other guests as we weren't the only ones. Very cool and laid back place, I'd go again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our family had a lovely stay at Vistamar Villa. The suite was clean and spacious. We loved having a fully equipped kitchen; this gave us the option of staying in to dine or we could take a walk to the restaurants on the beach.
A hidden gem, great location, quiet and yet very close to Ft lauderdale's attractions and a short drive from the airport. It is a quiet, cozy family owned establishment with lush plants which makes it very relaxing and private. The owners John and Mary are very hospitable and informative.
We enjoyed most of our days by sitting at the pool, where we met some nice couples and families, many of them who have stayed at the Vistamar Villa before. We also intend to return.

Room Tip: Make sure you have some pizza at Primanti's just a short walk from the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Nice location, short walk to the beach. Price was good and the housekeeping was adequate. However, rooms could be cleaner - sofa beds were very dirty, tubs need some serious attention. Outdoor furniture needs to be pressure washed and in some cases, replaced all together. Too many dirty ashtrays laying about. Owners seemed friendly and genuinely trying to please.

• Stayed December 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

First the good (of course). We were upgraded from a standard room to a suite. That was very nice! The heated pool is small, but perfect for a dip, and my daughter enjoyed swimming and playing in it. I like the location. A three block walk to the beach---a delightful way to spend the afternoon. We were able to check in before noon (great for getting off a cruise ship), and were helped to secure a cab for 5am the next morning. People were friendly, staff/owner helpful and it seemed like a good clientelle. flat screen tv in living room---nice.

A classy, well maintainened motel -- I don't think so. The courtyard and swim area were quaint, , but outdoor furniture was worn, in need of repair and dirty.

Inside, the floors, counter, beds and sink seemed clean, but heating/cooling elements, windows/screens were not.

Overall, the property and rooms seemed worn. Probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The review below is definitely not of my experience. I spent a week at the Vistamar recently and enjoyed it very much. The owners were helpful, cheerful and considerate. John printed my boarding pass, gave me lots of ideas for local restaurants, and helped out when I had a problem with the internet. I did not notice any monkey like, or rude behavior whatsoever. The best advice was the water taxi. Spent a day on it and got to know a whole other side of Ft. Lauderdale. I lked the free beach towels and chairs. Heated pool consistently in the 80's. Looking forward to my next stay at the Vistamar. Will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Simple questions seemed to annoy him, as if you were asking him a favour. His wife was delightful and worked hard, he could learn from her. Rooms were ok. I like the dated stuff. Neighborhood looks scary, but grows on you. Monkey had better manners than the owner.

• Stayed February 2012
vvilla, Owner at Vistamar Villa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
First of all I would like to thank yummytummyFl for the comments about my wife. She does work very hard and is a wonderful person.

Let me begin by saying I am not rude. Honest. But I would say that wouldn’t I? Ask anybody (except I guess yummytummyFl). I am curious though why this reviewer waited almost a year before writing this since their date of stay was last February, 2012. Shouldn’t there be a Statute of Limitations on reviews?

It’s hard to respond to an ad hominem, personal attack that doesn’t mention specifics but think about this – this is our livelihood and our future. We take our job as hosts seriously. We are on site 24/7. Believe me, we, and every other small hotel owner, make every effort to be polite and helpful to our guests no matter how we feel or what has happened that day. We would not last very long if we indeed were as rude as this reviewer alleges and you will see that the majority of TripAdvisor reviews give us very high marks in the Service category.

Trip Advisor admonishes us owners not to respond to reviews with personal comments and insults but it would appear the reverse does not hold true. This reviewer not only compares me to a monkey but, in their estimation, the monkey wins. We always appreciate reviews that provide constructive criticism so that we can correct or improve some aspect of our business. However, there are implied rules of civility about human discourse between human beings, even on the internet. This reviewer believes they have the right to insult another person in a public forum by comparing them unfavorably with a monkey. Rude?

On the matter of the misleading comment about this being a scary neighborhood, this area has many fine attributes including one of the best beaches in North America and virtually no crime rate. In addition, this area has been the subject of several articles in the Fort Lauderdale newspaper, The Sun Sentinel, regarding the $70 million dollars being spent by investors in the North Beach area in which we are located. You can look up an article from a few days ago in the December 31st, 2012 Sun Sentinel headed “New hotels, café shaping North Beach Village area”. Our immediate neighbor, which is scheduled to reopen in February, has been the subject of a $2 million renovation.

So, please come and visit us and see for yourself if a monkey has better manners. I’m betting on me.

Been to Vistamar Villa? Share your experiences!