“Don't dismiss this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port

You added Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2440 West State Road 84, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #63 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Don't dismiss this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

We just completed our wonderful cruise vacation out of FLL, and can't say enough about the Rodeway Inn for our Pre-cruise stay!

We tried for months on Priceline to get something in the downtown area. (without any luck) We are not "cheap", however, I think it's CRAZY to spend big bucks on a room that you utilize for 1 night. We got a rate around $50. with tax. (I failed to recognize that the National Championship game was happening in Miami later the next day.) They offer a shuttle from the airport - hotel - to cruiseport. This shuttle only runs until 10:00 pm. We were forewarned about this, and since we had an 11pm arrival, we took a cab. ($20. with tip)

Got to the motel, and the bar/ restaurant was hopping (on a Wed. night!) Checked in without any issues, and got the lowdown on the shuttle service to the cruiseport. They have a signup book at the front desk, for each different line. There were a BUNCH of people sailing Princess and Carnival signed up. There were only 2 couples for RCCL (lucky us!!!!)

The place is undergoing renovation, but nothing was out of line in our eyes. Some of the decor appeared old, but if you want an art gallery it is going to cost you elsewhere! Free wireless internet in the room! Beds were good to us, and we slept well.

Up the next morning, and off to the free breakfast...nothing special, but it filled the hole until we got to the ship!

Here is one of the secrets that we were unaware of: The hotel shuttle will drop you off at Walgreens or Winn Dixie on their morning airport run (about 9 am) This gives you about 20 minutes of shopping before it comes back for you! There are no shopping ammentiites in the area (unless you are looking to store a boat) Izzy (the hotel transportation director) makes announcements over a PA in the lobby as shuttles arrive and depart. If you have any questions, ask him! We shuttled to our ship on the 11 am with a group for the Carnival Miracle. The Port at FLL is odd having all of the ships scattered at various piers, but the shuttle had to pass them all. (We had eight ships in, and it was a busy place!)

Overall, we had a GREAT experience, and would not hesitate to stay there again! I'll deal with a few location inconveniences for less than 1/4 of the price of downtown/ Las Olas!

• Liked — Great shuttle service, and excellent staff interaction!
  • Disliked — Location
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

The first person you meet if you are so lucky is Bennie the shuttle driver, his personality is a great selling point for this hotel. His is the first person that hopefully will pick you up at the cruise port. He is great! The second person that is there to greet you is the General Manager Izzy, he will make things happens, you need it he will do his best to take care of you. Dana the sales manager is tops at getting thing done for you as a group.

Our rooms were clean and newly renovated, some with flat screen tv's. Izzy really gets you ready for the cruise experience. He annouces when the next shuttles are coming and if there is any delays he did he best to inform you, this is the largest cruise port in the world, so delay happen. You are extremely close to both air and cruise port.

Thing can get conjested given the amount of cruisers there on the weekends. But to me the main purpose of this hotel is to get you to and from the airport to get you to your ship. It's no the Omni or the Radisson, so don't expect that. They gave us free shuttle to and from the airport and cruise port. All we did was give a tip.

The only negative thing, I didn't see the point of the breakfast coupons and we had some noisy people in the pool till 10 pm when we had a very early flight. And Fort Lauderdale is REALLY hard to drive in, but when we got lost I'd call and they did there best to get me on the right track.

• Liked — price, free airport/cruiseport shuttle, clean rooms
  • Disliked — lobby could be bigger to accommodate all of the cruisers, but that can't be helped
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

We were going on a cruise, and needed a place for one night. After reading the reviews from others, we selected Rodeway Inn.
We were not dissapointed. They picked us up from the airport, checked in with friendly staff.
It is an average motel, with nice clean rooms, comfy beds and nice shower. Lighting is good, TV worked great.
Sport bar for a fun/good meal on the premises.
Breakfast is included, offering waffles, muffins, toast,bagels,cereals and more.
Mgr. Izzy, greeted guests, and was there to see you off when the shuttle left next day. Pleasant stay!

• Liked — Moderate price, clean and comfy!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I booked this hotel specifically because of the shuttles that were offered. I called the hotel at 10:15 pm to get picked up from the cruise port to find out that the driver stops driving at 10 pm. I had called before 10 and was put on an endless hold then called back and it just rang and rang. This was very disapppointing.

I would have been fine with 1 cab ride.

Then we ask for the morning shuttle at 5am (6:50 flight) only to find out that the driver doesn't even get there until 5:30. I got to the room and decided to call to have them have a cab for me at 5:00 am and the phone didn't work.

I used my cell phone to call and was assured they would have a cab at 5am.

Got in the lobby at 5am and asked, where the cab was. No one called. Had to wait 30 minutes for a cab (no driver for the shuttle even at 5:30 I might add) and we made our flight, but thanks in no part to this hotel.

It was interesting to see all of the other hotel shuttles from the area dropping off guests as we got out of the taxi.

If you want to bill yourself as a cruise port and airport hotel, you should at least accomodate those passengers.

Breakfast also didn't start until 7am, so I missed that.

The room was decent, but the standard $150/night rate is outrageous. It is the FLL airport hotel with the shuttle bus and restraunt icons. I got it for $33. The most I'd pay to stay here would be $70 assuming the shuttles get fixed.

The area and parking lot also seemed ran down and dirty.

• Liked — The Lobby was nice
  • Disliked — The advertised shuttle was worthless
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
izzytobe, VP of Hospitality & Transportation Director at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port, responded to this review, January 14, 2009
Please accept my sincere apology for any misunderstandings that may have occurred with our shuttle service during your stay. We make guest satisfaction and experience our number one priority. Our courtesy shuttle runs every day from 5:30 am to 12 pm except certain days during the week that it stops at 10 pm.
We have the best organize shuttle service to and from the airport cruise port and our hotel. Other hotels charges $15 per person to use the shuttles. Our hotel has completed renovation and our parking lot is totally new. You failed to mention how we took you to the Discovery cruise without a problem. I understand you were frustrated going on this trip. We can see you write many detail reviews we look forward to you coming back and see what our other satisfied guest see.
Your feedback is invaluable in meeting and exceeding your expectations, and those of our future guests. We encourage guests to contact any member of our staff, or hotel management during your stay should you need additional amenities or if we overlooked anything
digitalowl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

This hotel is in the process of being remodeled and changed to a Quality Inn; there is still construction going on. The room we were given was obviously recently redone; it actually smelled new. It was clean and comfortable, but there were a lot of little problems: the door didn't lock unless you slammed it, the bathroom sink faucet was set back too far, and everytime you used the sink, water would pour onto the floor, and the toilet usually had to be flushed twice. The front desk staff was obviously overwhelmed. It seemed like the same two guys were always working there, and it took forever to get anything done. Our room was supposed to have a microwave, but it didn't, and when we asked for one, we were told there weren't any available. The free breakfast was sparse, like almost every hotel, but what really got me about it was that you were given a coupon that you had to present to get your chinsy little breakfast, even if you were only getting a cup of coffee. I understand a business trying to keep costs under control, but that coupon nonsense really left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since every day you were there, you had to go get a new coupon at the front desk (and wait 10 or 15 minutes for someone to wait on you). Thankfully, if you didn't want to deal with the coupons (or just want a real breakfast), there were plenty of places to eat right down the street. The location was good, right off the Interstate and very close to the airport and cruiseport. This hotel might be really nice in the future if they hire enough staff to wait on everyone, fix the rooms, don't do things like advertise that you're getting a microwave if you're not, and get rid of those chinsy breakfast coupons.

• Liked — Good location, close to everything
  • Disliked — Chinsy little breakfast coupons, rooms with broken doors, inadequate staff to wait on customers
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
izzytobe, VP of Hospitality & Guest concerns at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port, responded to this review, January 9, 2009
Thank you for the compliment about the cleanliness of our hotel. Our housekeeping team takes pride in the detail cleaning. What make us great is for the value of a quality room you get Location, service and transportation with many great amenities. Our guest service agent enjoys taking care of guest. We are also one of the only hotels that have a full service restaurant, Sports Bar and grill open till 3 am for our late arrival guest. Free massage chair, free computers with internet and a gift shop. We also offer on-site car rental. Our hotel has just gone through a major renovation. All of our bathrooms feature granite tops, Serta pillow top bed, 27” TV with 70 channels digital TV, microwave and refrigerator. At our Café we offer both hot and cold items on our complementary continental breakfast for our guest staying her. Daily selections include made to order waffles, white and wheat toast, bagels or English muffins, cold cereals, oatmeal, Fresh Danish pastries, Krispy Kream doughnut delivered daily. We offer only premium fruit juices and drinks, regular and decaf coffees, teas, and milk at your table. We give a coupon to pay the restaurant for your complementary breakfast. Yes we have many restaurants around us if you want to pay for a full breakfast. The room you were in was brand new and the microwave had not come in yet.
We can see this was your first hotel review. We look forward to you coming back and encourage you to stay with us again and give us a chance to be the one resort to exceed your expectation in the future.

Ellenwood, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

This Rodeway is changing to a Quality Inn. The frontdesk personnel were very nice. The room was nice, however it had a few glitches. The room smelled like a mens locker room, the ceiling fan did not have a swithch to turn it on, the air conditioner vent was turned to the window, so we got no air in the room., the bathroom door misses the vanity by an eighth of an inch. Otherwise our stay was great. I would definitely stay there again, but next time I will ask for a first floor room. The hotel doesn't have elevators. Eating places are plentiful.

• Liked — The location, and the comfy beds.
  • Disliked — The fan had no switch, the air conditioner vent was turned to the window. It was hot in the room.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
izzytobe, VP of Hospitality & Guest satisfaction at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port, responded to this review, January 9, 2009
Thank you for the compliment about the cleanliness of our hotel. Our housekeeping team takes pride in the detail cleaning. What make us great is for the value of a quality room you get Location, service and transportation with many great amenities. Our guest service agent enjoys taking care of guest. The smell in the room was from all of the new furniture and carpet just installed the previous week.
We look forward to you coming back in the near future.
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

First night we stayed it took housekeeping 5 hours after we called several times to send us some extra towels.

My mother saw a roach crowling out of the the wall in the bathroom from behind the toilet.

I reserved the room under my debit card and they immediately took two nights out of my account to secure the room ($230). No problem, but then when I checked out I paid some cash ($152), which left a remaining bal of $76. Well as soon as I arrive home and checked my bank account, the hotel charged my debit card another $152. Unbelievable! Well my bank told me they were in "pending" status and not to worry, they could possible fall off within 24 hours of my account. Well after coming back from vacation I can't afford to have almost $380 held against my account and have to wait a few business days for them to drop. The second charge of $152 was inexcusable. So I called the hotel to verfiy that the charges would drop and and spoke to someone lady that claimed to be the manager and she didn't give me her name and wasn't listening. I was upset, but not yelling and she kept cutting me off. Before I could ask why they charged the additional $152, she claim they didn't, and I said I am looking at my bank statement and you did! She started saying I was yelling and not trying to help me and then put phone down and didn't try to resolve the issue, then hung up!

That 'sTERRIBLE Customer service and BAD Business for a hotel and to be a manager was even worst. No matter what the customer says they have a right to be heard. As long as there is no foul play or bad language being said, that employee had no right to hang up on me. I have worked in customer service for 10 years and would never talk to the customer the way she talked to me. She should be held accountable for her actions. She never tried to put herself in my shoes and didn't care to listen!

She didn't try to hear me out, she was irratible and rather argue with me then try to help me!

This hotel get's an F!

After the money issue that's what broke the camels back! This hotels should not employ such people like that, especially in management. If you don't have the people skills like patience then you should be in this line of work.

I really hope every thing clears on my accounts, that all I am really concerned about!

• Liked — Central to the Cruise Port and Airport
  • Disliked — Staff and Customer Service
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
izzytobe, VP of Hospitality & Guest concerns at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port, responded to this review, January 3, 2009
Please accept my sincere apology for any misunderstandings that may have occurred when you with our staff during your stay. We make guest satisfaction and experience our number one priority. You used an ATM debit card and your bank is the one that took 4 day to credit your account. We release it immediately upon check out. We explain this and you verified this with your bank as you say in your review. I’m extremely concerned about your experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. Our housekeeping team takes pride in the detail cleaning Our rooms are clean everyday and we use Ecolab for our constant, never ending extermination and cleaning chemical like the other quality resorts and attractions do. I would have my mother stay in any of these rooms and I personally walk in to different rooms every day. Our hotel has recently gone through a major renovation. I can see this was your first hotel review we look forward to you coming back and see what our other satisfied guest see.

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port? Share your experiences!