“Average accommodations for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2440 West State Road 84, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #62 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Richland, Washington
“Average accommodations for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We went to the Roadway Inn to use as a transition point for our flight home the next morning. We were a little early for check in but the girls got us in an hour early. They had super water pressure, no water savers here! Food in the lobby and next door. The room had a small fridge and a microwave. Ok place for the price. The pool looked the right color. Convenient to the airport and cruise port. I wouldn't walk around at night.

Room Tip: If you choose the second story you don't have to listen to the thumping above you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

823 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Arrived at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport after a long flight (with stopovers) from California. Called the hotel after picking up our luggage. They told us where to wait for their van, and within 20 minutes the van picked us up and we were on our way to the hotel. While I was checking in my girlfriend was talking to the hotel manager (Izzy is his name). He recognized that we were tired from our travels, so he gave us 2 free drink cards to the sports bar - restaurant attached to the hotel and got us a bellman to help us with our luggage.
Before we went to our room we asked him about excursions around the Ft. Lauderdale area. He recommended some nice excursions and told us to contact him in the morning. The bellman then helped us with our luggage to our room. The room was on the second floor (there are no elevators). The room was extremely clean, there was a microwave and a small refrigerator. Also, the room was fairly good sized. The hotel is not new, but it is very well maintained and we noticed that all the staff are courteous and friendly. We then went to the sports bar, had our free drinks and bought a great tasty dinner for a fair price. We had a very relaxing sleep, the bed was comfortable and clean.
The next morning we had the free buffett breakfast. It can get very crowded in the breakfast area (especially before a cruise). But we found a table and had a very filling and tasty breakfast meal. We then found Izzy and discussed with him the excursions we were interested in taking around the area.
Izzy directed us to the tour representative, Catalina. She was kind, extremely helpful, and we booked and paid for the tours we wanted. This process took all of about 10 minutes! We went on the Everglades airboat tour (which was fantastic). Transportation to and from the tour site was provided. We were to be picked up at 3p.m.. At 3p.m. the van was not at the tour site. About 1 minute later I received a call on my cell phone. It was Catalina stating that the van was caught up in traffic, and that she would arrive within 15 minutes. Well about 12 minutes later Catalina showed up to pick us up, no problems!
We had booked another tour the same day to go on the Jungle Queen cruise and dinner (another great excursion). Again transportation was provided. I was told to call for transportation about 30 minutes before we returned from the cruise (which I did). When we got to the dock at the end of our excursion, Catalina and the driver were waiting for us and took us back to the hotel. No problems!
The bottom line about this hotel is this. Don't even bother thinking about staying anywhere else. Sure, if you always stay at a Hilton or the Ritz then this hotel may not be for you. But if you're just an average type traveler (going on a cruise - as we were) then this is the place for you. It is very clean, the staff is excellent, Izzy is excellent, Catalina is excellent, the restaurant is excellent, transportation is excellent, the room comfort was excellent. In a word I found this hotel EXCELLENT. The price was fair for the location. We stayed here for 2 nights prior to our cruise. Transportation to the cruise port provided by the hotel was (you guessed it) excellent!
This is a great hotel, and the next time we go on a cruise from the Ft. Lauderdale cruise port we are definitely going to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are going on a cruise and have a lot of luggage then when you reserve a room, ask for a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tecumseh, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for two weekday nights on business. I had heard great things about this hotel from coworkers, so I thought I would give it a try.

When I first arrived at the hotel, I was very surprised with how friendly and helpful the desk staff was. Crystal was the name of the girl at the desk working the evening I arrived. She was very welcoming. I was given a room on the first floor so I could park my car right outside the door and a complimentary drink ticket for the bar - since it was my first time staying at the hotel.

The room was pretty much what I expected. It had tile floors, an average TV, and a fair amount of space. The plug outlets in my room were in awkward positions... I had to do a little furniture rearranging... But it was fine. They have full cable in the rooms, not just the select 30 or so channels you see at most hotels, but REAL cable. I had about 200 channels to choose from. The internet is a disappointment though. At times, it was "mildly acceptable," but for the most part, it was slow and disconnected a lot... At least it was free.

The restaurant on the property is excellent. It's pretty much a sports bar, but I ate there both nights I was in town and both meals were outstanding. It was a little loud in there on night number 2 since there was a Miami basketball game on, but it wasn't too overpowering.

Things went down hill in the mornings though. The water pressure in the shower was pathetic... It felt like taking a shower under a leaky faucet, even when the water on HIGH. The showers were not a pleasant experience. The breakfast is also pretty sad. Breads and coffee/juice. The breakfast wait staff seem only interested in snatching your breakfast card from you - and then you never see them again... I take that back, I did see one in a booth texting on her phone on the second day of my stay... It's just not a friendly place to eat in the mornings...

When checking out, I had one of the rudest desk clerks I've seen in quite a while... While checking me out, she was on the phone with a personal call! The entire check out! I didn't even get a "thank you."

The price I paid for this hotel was reasonable and, if left to just the evening staff and accommodations, this hotel would be a "very good" or even "excellent." But the morning ruins everything... The crappy shower, the rude staff, and the depressing breakfast don't leave you with a very good impression.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It seems that this hotel exists for cruise travelers with a need for transportation to the cruise port. Room prices are a little high and there is nothing within walking distance except for the motel next door. Shuttle is pretty efficient. We booked transportation to the airport after the cruise which I would not do again. Might have been cheaper for two or more and taxi's were waiting. Our shuttle went to the Holland America terminal and back to the Carnival terminal before heading to the airport. Breakfast is $6 if you loose your voucher but it should be free.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Agree with everything most others have said. Got picked up at the airport and checked in quickly. Had dinner at the hotel restaurant. Reasonably good food. Beer was good! The rooms are the old style motel typed rooms where your door opens to a pathway with the pool and gardens close by. Room was pretty dated but comfortable.

Next morning a bus arrived with about 80 College students. It was too early for them to check into their rooms so Izzy had them get some breakfast and relax around the pool. Izzy's announcements over the PA system were loud, fairly constant and a little irritating. Too bad if you arrived late the previous night and wanted some quiet in your room. Izzy's PA would have put a stop to your sleep-in. Izzy is a likeable chap who goes out of his way in an attempt to keep his customers happy. Things got hectic around 10.00am when it was time to take the shuttle to the cruise port but Izzy, frenetically working the PA system, eventually got everybody away to where they had to go. Would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: One that is soundproofed from Izzy's PA!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dayton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my second pre-cruise stay; and I plan to return. Why? The staff is professional, knowledgeable and friendly. The rooms are clean. The courtyard is beautiful. Complimentary breakfast, free shuttle to/from airport and for $5 extra to local shopping. Rates are very reasonable. It's a great value!

• Stayed November 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had to make a last minute booking for one night in Ft Lauderdale. Unfortunately I was a bit to quick looking at the hotel photos and didn't realize it was a motel. Once we got there we realized it was in a pretty bad area, squeezed in between two highways and the airport. Drove around the hotel two times before actually realizing that this was the hotel we had booked. Very dark and run down. Rooms may have been like in the pictures 10 years back. Hotel promises free wifi, but there was no reception in our room. Breakfast was included, but was very basic. Yes, it is not very expensive - but we have stayed in several other hotels in this price range that are way better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port? Share your experiences!