“Would love to have given the RP 5-Stars, however...” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Royal Palms Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Royal Palms Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   717 Breakers Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Houston, Texas
“Would love to have given the RP 5-Stars, however...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Royal Palms is as nice as everyone on here has described! In fact, I applaud their "equality" stance and their decision to make it an "all inclusive" resort (the buzz words used when I inquired about the families and women sitting outside our room at 9 am having breakfast on our second day of a ten days vacation.) However, what I took exception with and complained about was the fact that it was NOT disclosed to us back in June when we made our reservations nor when we checked in on July 19th! Shame on RP!

Neither their website nor their FB page made mention of their change in "vision" and that the facility was no longer a "gay" resort! So, I really blame myself for not reading the reviews on here before booking our vacation. Had I, I would have found reviews from April 2013 that mentioned that they had changed and were opening the resort up to families and women!

Nonetheless, we made the most of our trip and still enjoyed the hospitality bestowed upon each guest by Philip and his team. I travel all over the world and the RP has, by far, some of the most attentive staff that I have encountered! Hats off to Philip, Carlos, Mat, Jeremy, Brian, et. al.

We are planning a winter trip to Ft. Lauderdale, but unfortunately, will not be staying at the RP. If, and when, they decide what they truly want to be they may see us again down the road. In the meantime, we will be staying at the Grand Resort!

Room Tip: Internet service in our room was terrible! Ultimately relied on using by phone as a hotspot. Also...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is such a pleasure to stay at a gay resort that lives up to the high standards of any resort. While the facilities and rooms are first class, what really sets the Royal Palms apart is the attentiveness of the wonderful staff. I have stayed at many hotels and resorts. I paid far more at many of those places, and none have a more accommodating staff. I love the location to the beach, I love the pool, the bar, and the food.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to people, get a room near the front pool. If prefer a quieter room, ask fo...
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Royal Palm has been the white glove of gay resorts in Fort Lauderdale. Now they are allowing women to frequent the bar, and stay at the resort. It is no longer a place for just men. I may as well go to a hotel elsewhere on the beach, where I can get similar service, and clientele. It's just not a special place for men anymore. I hope they change it back to men only.

• Stayed December 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

In the past I have sat outside the royal palms for breakfast. This Sunday 7/28/13 was too hot so I decided to eat at the bar. I was amazed at the quality and quantity of the food served. I had my usual Lox and Bagels which for $12 and all the coffee you could drink was well worth the price. While eating I noticed the omelets and pan cakes being served and they were works of art when it came to presentation. The oatmeal was a master piece is presentation and I don't like oat meal. Seems the place is catching on as there was little seating available. Guess the reasonable prices are attracting people. At the beach a top price of $12 for breakfast can not be beat. I won't say how good the Bloody Mary's that Carlos or Jeremy make top off the start of the day.

Texas City, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My partner and I of 6 years have been traveling to fort lauderdale beach the past 3 years in a row for a week during the summer, this trip however was such a turn off. In past we stayed at The Grand Resort and spa and figured we would switch it up this time so we picked the royal palms resort..... not a very wise decision. We arrive early afternoon and no sooner walk into the front office and seem suffocated by the front desk manager Philip. we were extremely tired and only wanted to check into our room, not have a half hour conversation. That was one thing. So we then get showed our room and its not what it looks like at all on their website. Everything is plain grey.... sorta looks like your in a hospital of some kind.... not very cheek and sleek as they say. So our trip ended up only being 3 days not a week like was planned. As we were checking out front desk asst manager Brian seemed not to have been happy with our early departure and pretty much pushed us out of the door. This was i would say our worst experience in fort lauderdale and plan on never coming back to this property.... The grand .. another gay resort has never let us down and prefer that better in choosing a relaxing, comfortable, real place to spend a vacation getaway with someone u love.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Royal Palms for a few rainy days during the month of July. From the moment we arrived we were treated very warmly, professionally and with fresh baked cookies at the front desk!. Our room was located right outside the pool/ bar/ restaurant area and even though they have music playing throughout the day we barely heard much noise at all. The room was super clean, large and very comfortable. The gentleman they have cleaning the rooms left no stone unturned and we always returned to a spotless and fresh smelling room. Our room was on the ground floor and it was great to be able to just literally walk two steps to the bar/ restaurant where the food was surprisingly very good (the homemade potato chips are excellent!) One of the bartenders, Carlos, was extremely helpful and friendly during our stay. He gave us many restaurant and club recommendations and is a real asset to the establishment.
The resort is very close to the beach, although a bit of walk to the gay section. Luckily the front desk has chairs and umbrellas available at no cost to the guests which will save you some money by having to rent them on the beach.
The only reason I am giving the resort four stars as opposed to five is that I did not have a chance to sample their spa options, the gym equipment is a little sparse, and the bed a little too soft for my taste. But none of those reasons would prevent me from visiting again. I highly recommend this location to anyone wanting to experience Fort Lauderdale in a comfortable, clean, professional and friendly gay resort. I hope to return soon!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

i spent a week at this resort this july. the weather was not the best fort lauderdale has to offer but this resort has got to be one of the best. The staff here is the warmest most sincere and genuinely nice group of people i have ever come across. They are all very happy to work together and genuinely happy to be working for this resort. It wasn't perfect...they have virtually no internet service in the rooms...they know of this issue and are working on it, so they say. Internet service is good at the bar though and honestly the internet service is the only negative here. The spaces are bright and kept immaculate, modern, and very tastefully designed. So happy to have found this place...and will happily return.

Room Tip: they have a front building that is far more public and social and a back building that is more priva...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Royal Palms Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!