“Great location, old charm, but beware of manager” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Merriweather Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Lauderdale
The Merriweather Resort
You added The Merriweather Resort to your Saves list
115 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
mid-west
“Great location, old charm, but beware of manager”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

This is a great spot on the fading Ft. Lauderdale Beach, as it gives way to multi-millionares, and fewer middle class folks. Unusual to find a spot friendly to pets, and children which makes an interesting combination. However, beware of the fickle nature of the manager. Do not trust what she promises, or how nice she initially presents herself. She cannot be trusted for a second.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Spartanburg, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

We have stayed here since 1970, but now we find that there is no guidence as to availability of rooms. (------------)

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

I asked the hotel if they could receive some mail prior to my parents' stay in Sep-2008. Being frequent customers they agreed to do so. After my parents had to cancel their visit due to a serious (and luckily solved) health issue, I notified the hotel and asked them to keep the package until further instructions. Once again, they agreed to do so.
My parents finally traveled to Ft. Lauderdale in Jan-2009 and were unpleasantly surprised to hear from the hotel manager (a character named Mary Joe who they used to like) that she had given away our packages to a maid who no longer worked there. Being 75 years-old and not very fluent in English my parents had no choice but to put up with Mary Joe's sarcasm,
When they got back to Argentina and let me know the news I immediately called the hotel. Mary Joe complained that we had taken advantage of her by making her hold the pacakges for over 5 months (she had told my parents that she had disposed them after 30 days !!!!) and that she had given them to someone in need (I do charity on a regular basis WITH MY OWN MONEY).
She would not answer why she neither contacted us before getting rid of our things nor returned them to the sender. She would also refuse to compensate me for the cost of the goods, and was nasty enough to accuse me of not taking adequate care of our handicapped daughter (who she knows well after several stays).
It is a real pity because the place is great. Hope they get rid of the thief so we can once again enjoy it.

• Disliked — Mary Joe, the manager
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Darmstadt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We have stayed twice at the Merriweather Resort. The first time we found this nice small resort just by accident and loved it so much that we came for a second stay a year later.

If you like small resorts with a personal touch more than the stereotypic chains then this is your cup of tea.

The apartments are really huge and very clean. It is not new but it is very clean (I think they clean the resort twice a day or so) and the atmosphere is so nice and personal. The staff is always very helpful and the location is unbeatable. Its on the tiny stretch in Ft.Lauderdale where you have restaurants and bars directly on the beach without the need to drive by car to get somewhere.

Next time we're in Ft-Lauderdale we will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I gotta agree w/ the one star rating from NJ. RCI should really be ashamed having this listed as a timeshare resort. This place reminds me of a Super 8 or Motel 6 w/ a kitchen combo. The back alley sign is really hard to find this place. The pool is so small reminds me of something someone would have in their yard circa early 90s/ late 80s. And the parking lot reminds me of sardines in a can.

The kicker was when my fiance and his father went to try and check in and saw 3 Rotts in the lobby area w/ food and dishes around them it just looked very unsanitary. And I'm a pet owner and lover but this place is a dump, I wouldn't even bring my own 2 dogs here.

Fiance's father wasn't having it. We NEVER checked it, and he called RCI let them know he wasn't pleased and we were bumped up/ into Palm Beach Shores and had a really nice stay .

Only plus about this place is the beach across the street (and good luck crossing b/c it is a very busy street!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

My name is swede from Philadelphia Pa. this is about the six time I've stayed here; I found my stay to be a total joy! The view and location is perfect. Everything that I needed was tended too. Kept very clean and they were mindful around my activities. The women running the Merriweather Mary-Jo I think, was fantastic to deal with reservations, stay and knowledge of the area-everything.

swedenuk@yahoo.com

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lynn, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

My name is Kim Diamond and my husband and I have been staying at the Merriweather Resort for almost 20 odd years, and we do not wish to stay anywhere else. The place is so nice, clean, and the staff is so friendly, helpful and have become like a family when we are there. Mary Jo is the Merriweather Resort, she runs a tight ship and is so accomodating at the same time. Mary Jo has gone above and beyond her call of duty to please each and every guest that is staying at the Merriweather. We cannot say enough about this place. We are extremely satisfied with each and every time we stay , which last year we were able to visit 5 times. Thank-You Mary-Jo for being such a great person. Love Kim and Tom

Been to The Merriweather Resort? Share your experiences!