“"Outstanding manager, staff and accommodations"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Merriweather Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Lauderdale
The Merriweather Resort
Save Saved
You added The Merriweather Resort to your Saves list
115 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Fort Myers, Florida
“"Outstanding manager, staff and accommodations"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Merriweather Resort is HOME toThor and Zeus, my Labrador Kids. There is no place they would rather be than at the Merriweather. The Labrador tails start wagging as we approach the Resort and they are crying by the time we pull into the driveway of the Merriweather. Mary Jo, the Manager of the Resort, sets the tone by greeting all of us as we exit the Suburban. The Kids are free to walk around the grounds and it is clear that they are indeed welcome. Our apartment is spacious and fully furnished with everything from wine glasses and opener to a water bowl and blankets for my Labrador Kids. At the Merriweather the STAFF are the best, Mary Jo is an ANGEL, and the location is UNBELIEVEABLE!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a place to bring your four legged friends, THIS IS IT!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
travelcruzer99, Manager at The Merriweather Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
We love Thor and Zeus! Thank you for kind words and review of the Merriweather. As much as we love all of our guests, there's something about the cute four legged ones that steal our hearts. Thank you again and, as always, we look forward to seeing you here soon!

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lyons, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

the best staff you can find from management MaryJo and Missy to the cleaning staff. They helped me with my 2 am arrival. A small resort very clean the pool very nice the grounds are well kept our room was complete with a full size kitchen all the things needed to cook full meals. When traveling with a family even though on vacation cooking meals in our complete kitchen saves lots of money. Have been going for years and each time it just gets better and better. MaryJo and Missy are very helpful ladies with local hot spots to visit and great local restaurants to visit where the locals go so the prices are not the prices of the restaurants on the beach side. During the recent hurricane Isaac the staff assured us we were all safe and no evacuation was necessary. which felt very assured since they are accustomed to all the tropical storms and hurricanes they go through each year. Hey Ladies Keep up the Great WORK a JOB WELL DONE!!! Can not wait till we meet again. M. Kennedy Lyons IL

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for this amazing review. You're right, the kitchen is a blessing in the unit and we love sharing our favorite local spots with our guests. We can't wait to see you next year!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Best location!! Mary Jo (manager) was so helpfull. She made checking so easy. Thanks to her I was able to check in late with NO issues! The resort is very nice. The room was big, comfortable and clean. The kitchen is full of cookware, along with a refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher! I was amazed by how much money I saved by some in room cooking. They have FREE wireless internet with good connection and speed. I can't go anywhere without my laptop! The pool is beautiful and what a great view. They also have chairs to take down to the beach in the office. We will always stay there when we go to South Florida. Best of all I was able to bring my dogs. I loved taking them for walks with view down there.
Thank You Mary Jo & Missy!!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you! What an amazing review and compliment to our hotel. We are glad to have you as our guest on your trips to Ft. Lauderdale!
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great place to stay the staff are so helpful in telling what good restaurants to eat at, and very helpful trying to make sure your having a great time look forward every year to going to merriweather resort. And Mary Jo is a gem love her so much... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS

Room Tip: Fort close to street it's not noisy at all
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for the lovely compliments! We love to make our guests feel at home and we're glad you noticed. We love seeing you every year too!
Redford, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My grandparents have been coming here since my mother was young, my mom has come here for years, and brings all my family every few years. You'd think they would be a little nicer to their guests. My mother drove down with my brother and daughter from Michigan, and were there first. One of the rooms had a leak in the ceiling over the bed, so they had another room ready for my family and I who were coming a couple days later - which was nice of them - but any place should fix that situation. When the manager, Mary Jo came into the room to check out the leak my brother told me she was making rude remarks about his empty beer bottles he left (in the room, out of sight - on the fridge) Which I think a little out of line and unnecessary. There was no one being rowdy in our group. Actually all the older folks staying there that week were louder than any of us.

Then the extra room she gave us was nice, bed was very uncomfortable, but I'm not even high maintenance or hard to please and would never even care if the other aspects of this place didn't annoy me so bad....First our keys didn't work. They blamed the rainy weather....Mary Jo gave me the deadbolt key to use instead. Then all of the sudden one day it did work, so I was locked out. Had to go down to the desk, two times before I got a key that worked. Annoying, but the lady who helped me was nice. Also one of the days my husband locked his key in the room and asked to get another, and he told me the manager was on his case, asking what he did with his key. I think they get a little too much in people's business, do you really need to question me? Can't he just get a key to get in the room? Especially since you obviously don't have all your ducks in a row....

BUT - my mother's room, which was the main room for our family trip, where everyone else was staying down the hall - and were they for more than a week - THEIR room lock did not work either. My mother let them know and nothing was done about it. We just let it go - nobody wanted to deal with them anymore because of the rude attitude they were giving us. But then one of the last days it finally started working and locked us all out. We had to go get the front desk - which we dreaded, and we were all kinda joking together about how much they hated us, which was unwarranted by far.

Next thing was - since they had "given" us this extra room for a couple nights, Mary Jo had asked us to leave it clean when we left. It was just my husband and I, and my two young daughters. Most the day we were hanging out and my mothers room, and going out. I left the room VERY clean, other than the used towels which I left in a nice pile. EVERYTHING was orderly and cleaned up. I didn't leave a tip for the housekeeper though, BECAUSE it was the same lady every single day, and we were going to go back into my mom's room when those days were up - so I figured I would chip in on the whole tip with my mom and other family to leave at the end. I don't know about everyone else, but I tip at the end of a service - not half way through. So apparently Mary Jo told my mother we left it a mess (lie) and there was sand everywhere (we are staying right across from the beach - there was sand everywhere anyway and no one told me I needed to VACUUM!!), and ALSO had the audacity to tell my mom that we "really should tip the housekeeper". I feel like that is kinda crossing the line. I couldn't believe the balls on this lady.

So to sum it up, the Merriweather's lock system does not work, their ceilings leak, the management (one in particular) is rude, they are nosy, and overstep the boundaries of decent treatment of guests - not to mention the cockroaches. Unfortunately my mom still loves this place, probably just for sentimental reasons. But my family and I will never come back here, and I would not recommend if you want to have a good time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
travelcruzer99, Manager at The Merriweather Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us, however there are things that I must address. First, you made a reservation for a 2 bedroom unit that sleeps six. When your family arrived with nine people I did have a concern. We have, as most hotels do, a maximum allowed capacity due to fire code violations, extra wear and tear, and the comfortability for the guests. During your stay we unfortunately had Tropical Storm Issac come through. You informed us of a leak in your unit, which we were blessed to have only minor leaks from such a big storm. Upon examination, I decided to comp you into a one bedroom in addition to keeping the 2 bedroom you already had. Although there was such a small leak, I thought this solution was more than hospitable. Second, regarding the door locks not working, you're correct. While we make every attempt to make sure everything runs completely smooth during a big storm, things unfortunately happen. We are directly on the beach and with wind at 50 mph and drenching rain with sand blowing it is impossible to know how our electronic mechanisms will react. Luckily, we had no major damage and all of our guests were safe and unharmed. We wish you the safest of travels in the furture.
Ocala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Awesome price, Great location, Beautiful Beach. The hotel was clean and comfortable. However the pull out couch is only about 2 inches deep so if you have bigger kids, I dont think they will be to comfortable. But I will say, a little discomfort for the view and the beach is always tolerable.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor so you can see the ocean in the am outside on the balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your nice review! Also, thank you for bringing up the sofa sleepers. We do plan on replacing them in the future. Thanks again and we hope to see you here soon!
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have stayed at the Merriweather Resort countless times through the years and have loved it every single time we've been! The resort pool overlooks the Blvd., as well as the beach and ocean! Quiet, well maintained, and Merrijo is the best manager of ANY place we have ever stayed! She remembers all of her guests by name, and even when we went on a cruise last year and didn't stay there . . . she let us park at the resort for the day while we waited to board our plane! We hadn't called first, but I walked in and she knew me by my first name! Can't say enough about this wonderful resort! Small, quaint, clean and FRIENDLY! Pet friendly too, even though we've never brought our doggies! Have FUN! Thanks Merrijo!

Room Tip: Any room at this resort is great! If there is one room I wouldn't recommend (even though when w...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you sweetie! We love having you here!

Been to The Merriweather Resort? Share your experiences!