“Good place for the price” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   1441 Cordova Rd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316   |
Toronto
“Good place for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Needed a place to rest and kill a few hours between arriving on a cruise and departing at the airport so I was only looking for a cheap but clean place located close to the pier and airport. Let me preface my review by saying the ranking I have given is obviously based on it's positioning as a cost effective place to stay and not based against larger more expensive hotels.

My experience was pretty much the same as most of the other reviewers. The service was very good, the location was excellent, the rooms were clean with ample clean towels, and it was excellent value for the money. As we arrived early from our cruise the manager even did his best to get our room ready earlier than normal and managed to get us checked in an hour early which was great.

The room we had did seem a bit old and dated, reminded me of your standard bachelor room in an older apartment building. But everything was functional and clean which is all I really needed. The beds were definately King size width but they seemed a little short resulting in my feet hanging over the edge (for reference I'm 6'2), but the bed was comfortable and I still was able to fall asleep within minutes of arriving. The only other issue my wife had was the lock on the door and the surrounding door frame didn't seem overly secure and if anyone wanted to get in they wouldn't have to try very hard. She said she didn't feel safe and wouldn't want to stay more than a day here. The room also had a TV (which was working fine), and a fridge & microwave which we never used so we can't comment.

Only other issue we had was our room was on the 2nd floor and as far as I was aware there was no elevator. Lugging three heavy suitcases wasn't a terrible hardship for me but if you were not able to carry your suitcases up about 20 stairs to get to the top you would have been stuck.

Overall I feel you get great value for your money here, the manager was very friendly and helpful, we tried one of the restaurants in the area and it was good pub grub type of food, and the guy who drove us to the airport was very friendly. If you're looking for an inexpensive location central to the pier/airport to layover between cruise/flight days I think this place is good for you, but I'm not sure I would want to spend more than a couple of days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Booked the hotel to stay one night before we go to our cruise, we arrived at the hotel around 1am The owner was very friendly picked us up at the airport, EVERYONE was very friendly we decided to do our washing before we get in the boat as the had the facilities and the guy was very helpful giving us some soap but while I was waiting for the washing and laying on the bad I saw a little bug I wasn't sure if it was a bed bug so a Google it and it was the bed bugs I stripped the bed and everything else I couldn't find anymore and it was more than 2 am so I couldn't ask any one to change rooms, the bedroom was quite big bu everything was falling apart the power points were hanging out of the wall the bathroom had some tails broken but it was okay for the price that we were paying but because I found the bedbug I couldn't sleep at all in the next day we went for walk around the hotel I tried to locked the door and it wouldn't lock so I went to talk to the same guy that helped us with the soap he said he will fix it when we got back the door was open nothing was missing but we decide to leave straight away I said everything to the owner he gave 50% of our money back

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Berlin, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel has some issues to resolve We checked in prior to our cruise and chose this hotel because of its location and cruise shuttle. Our stay was uneventful but noted they were remodeling rooms. We had three issues in our room that needed maintenance, first outlet cover was missing on the tv outlet . since this is at waist height it is very noticeable and just the right height for a child to get their fingers into. Second outlet in bathroom was inoperative my wife could not do her hair. And lastly the toilet did not flush unless you held the handle down until it completed the flush cycle. Informed front desk and was told they would repair this a.s.a.p.
Since this is an older hotel repair items are routine. We also made a reservation for this hotel on our return from the cruise. When we checked out we asked about our reservation and was assured that had us in the system. However when we returned from the cruise I was informed they were full and our reservation was misplaced. They did have another room for us close by at another hotel. They transported us to the hotel and did give us a 20% discount on the room. The nest day they picked us up and brought us back to the hotel for our second night’s stay and gave us the same room we had before. When we got in the room the same issues noted above were not repaired.
While service with your baggage and the way they treat people is great, and customer service is also great, the issue is following through with the talk. I was not happy going back the second time reservation screw-up and finger pointing with no one taking responsibility for the issues did not impress me. Management needs help and they need to get on the ball with maintenance.

Room Tip: great for a one night stay for a cruise, but not for aN EXTENED STAY
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
travelsmartone, Owner at The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Please accept once again my apologies, there is so much I can not do as I am not rich and I go day by day trying to improve our property, certainly the rooms needs more attention, and I will do that, in the other hand as a budget facility I can tell you that we will continue giving something many great hotels do not have our charisma and our love for the guests, in that way can say we win, our family service stands because we tried from the heart to make you feel at home.
A personal message to the whole world as many reviews I see detail our great service, we will continue doing even harder. in regards to the property being old, yes it is a reality, it is everything like the 80, but it is clean and affordable, and more than that have to be decent and secure, and at less than half of the prices of the big hotels next to us, that is why our occupancy is so high during the whole year. I will continue improving.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked a week stay with Cordova. The receptionist Barry is creepy and barges into rooms whenever he wants. I was asked to vacate a day early with no notice for no apparent reason. No refund was offered. There were cockroaches in the room, the floor was hideously dirty, I had to wear socka otherwise my feet turned black. I will never EVER stay here again and recommend this place to NO ONE.

• Stayed January 2013
As you explain in your review, you were requested to leave the premises, better to explain them why, because of your drinking and undesirable behavior, also tell the world you were paying a dormitory rate of $165.00 dollars per week, that's $23 dollars a day, and as our policy stands, if you leave or you have been requested to leave, we would apply the daily rate of $33.00 a day, as you know you did sign a contract, the property has this service in low season (Sept to Dec) where many people from all over the world they choose to share accommodations, called hostels, 3 people per room, not private, as we do have maid service every morning, but then 3 people coming in and out, it is impossible to deliver a perfect floor in dormitories 24 hours, so your socks don't get dirty, In a good will we initially decided to have you in this high season of Private rooms and trying to help you. We have you a chance to have you because you were not able to afford a private room, Good for for my management that they Kick You Out, because we do protect our other guest that complained about your behavior. Sad from your part that don't see a reality of what you paid, and on top of that as it shows your review as personal you anger against us, you used the Power Of The Pen to try to destroy credibility, do you think for the amount of money you paid and your wrong behavior and more than that, I will be sad not to have you as my customer again. Let me say very clear to the whole world, that is not about the money to have success having a higher occupancy in the property, it is about having people happy not to seeing drunk people or people who does not have good behavior, in your way out, several rooms where extremely happy to see you go. That's what we do here
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here a night before our cruise, and for two nights after we returned. We were picked up at the airport within 15 minutes after we call when we arrived. That is included in the price of the room . Our room was very clean and the towels looked new. Jorge, The owner, is very cheerful and does all the driving, He charges six dollars a person to the cruise terminal for either pick up or delivery, which is half the going rate officially posted at the cruise port terminal.

True, there were things to be desired as far as appointments in the room were concerned. The clothes hangers were few,and certainly not matched sets. In contrast to the new towels and washcloths, the shower curtain was decrepit And there was no bath mat. The plumbing fixtures should be replaced, but the shower functioned perfectly well. It was quiet at night and we slept well.
In the balance, the friendliness of the staff and the basic continental breakfast with excellent orange juice more than offset the lack of other amenities.
Barry, one of the managers, and Tom, another, helped us with the choice of nearby restaurants. The Southport Raw bar was a fun beer joint recommended as one of the best two inFort Lauderdale. Just a block away.
They also recommended taking a water taxi tour of Fort Lauderdale, for $17 a day for seniors. You get on and get off anytime you want, and get to see all sorts of parts of Fort Lauderdale. It will take you all the way down past the best beaches, or the other way into the shopping centers on Las Olas blvd. The endless mansions and enormous yachts viewed are enough to turn one into a full-blown Communist! You can get off in the downtown area and go to the excellent Science and Discovery museum which has an enormous selection of hands-on fun things to do. A simulated Airboat ride through the swamps is an experience not to be missed! And my 80-year-old husband had to be pried out of a simulated pilot seat in the passenger airplane which he was trying endlessly to land.
Two blocks away from the Bridge there is an old-fashioned trolley which cost $.50 per person . It goes to the beaches.

Room Tip: room D, Ground level with a little patio and hammock was very nice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Bridge at Cordova was great for the nights we stayed before and after our cruise. We didn't want to pay $150-$200 a night like other hotels in the area so it was right in our budget. The Bridge is a quaint, family atmosphered hotel and exactly want we expected. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly, especially the owner Mr. Ramos. Whenever we pass through Fort Lauderdale again we will only stay at The Bridge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Beside the friendly owner and staff, this "motel" is not good at all and not worth your money.
The bedding linens were not clean, so as the room overall. Water tap and bath tub were as old as 70s. No toiletries provided except bar soap, no hair dryer. The so call complimentary breakfast were only bread, cereal, milk, juice. Definitely won't come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!