“Outstanding restaurant in Fort Lauderdale” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 1,126 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
“Outstanding restaurant in Fort Lauderdale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have been to Greek Islands Taverna on many occasions. I have eaten here about 30 times. Food is exceptional. Appetizers delicious, salads great, lamb, shrimp, chicken on kebob always cooked to perfection. Only drawback is they do not take reservations. So come either early or late. A must try in the area! Rice pudding is delicious.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Paw Paw, Michigan
“The smells alone are so enticing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My daughter frequents this place on her trips to Ft. Lauderdale. I was lucky enough to get dinner. Oh, my gosh!! Everything was fresh, smells were wonderful and the best hummus I ever had in my life. If I could get it shipped to me I certainly would. I do not eat red meat but had the chicken ka bob and was so tender and rice was flavorful. Loved the service and I cannot wait to go back. Friendly staff, clean restaurant and great food. All resulted in a a delightful experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kitimat, Canada
“great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This restraunt is located right at the start of the Galt Mile. It was really packed when we got there, but we were able to be seated right away and had drinks quite quickly. Food was good. We had Greek salads and souvlaki's. The saganaki was a little different than we were used to. It had a breading over it and was quite salty. Overall a great place to eat.

Visited April 2014
Tulsa
“Average food, nice atmosphere but skip the ribs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We actually went twice to this restaurant as it was close to our hotel. The pasititsio was dry and obviously prepared early in the day and held for dinner -- although it had nice flavor. The hummus was nothing special but passable. The grouper very good and the spanikopita burnt the first night and just right the second night.

The shocking problem was the ribs. I prepare ribs in bbq competitions throughout the year and do know how to cook them (never to fall-off-the-bone tenderness but to 'bite thru where you can see the bone without meat shredding away) . We splurged and got 2 racks to share and these ribs, although with good flavor, were just not cooked enough. They were tough and crunchy and difficult to eat. When I asked the waiter about the preparation, saying they needed another 30 to 45 or more minutes of cook time until they were properly cooked, the waiter told me they do not cook their ribs so they fall off the bone. I told him I understand that but they were not anywhere close to being done. They were tough. We left an entire rack of uneaten ribs as they didn't warrant even taking home. He was kind enough to bring us a piece of baklava on the house. The green beens were terrible and soggy. The potatoes were bland and blah. The rice was good.

We love Greek food and the staff was reasonably friendly so we would go again undoubtedly but would skip the ribs, green beans and probably the pasititsio.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Very Greeky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The King ordered a chicken platter which came with the best sting beans and potatoes - all very tasty. The Queen ordered the lamb chops, although she said they were a bit fatty. They looked very good though. Overall, everything was very good. I will definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Food