“the Best Italian ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Martorano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #319 of 1,062 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oakland Park Blvd and A1A
West Palm Beach
“the Best Italian ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

I have been to many restaurants and many great Italian restaurants. Going to Martaranos is always the biggest treat and worth every expensive penny. The minute you walk into the restaurant, you are transported into a fabulous atmosphere with great music, Sopranos-like setting and an amazing smell that feeds you while you wait for your table. There are no menus, the waiter will come up to your table and go over the specials and different items, one by one. The service is top notch - your wine glass never goes empty and neither does the water. If you eat anything, you must have their fabulous meatballs - 1 meatball is practically a meal! .. but you must pace yourself and save room for all the other fabulous deletable options. Every dish you order, whether its the amazing Lobster Francese or the Veal Sinatra (in a delicious sauce with mushrooms and a piece of lobster on top) or any unique pasta specialities will be an amazing taste explosion to your taste buds! When the bill comes, it may shock you a little but chuck it up as a meal worth the money and the experience!!

San Diego, CA
“Interesting little restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

After reading several reviews that were compllimentary for the most part, my husband and I decided to make our first dining experience in Fort Lauderdale at Cafe Martorano. First of all, you'll be surprised in the location of this little restaurant: tucked into a busy, inconspicuous strip mall near the corner of Oakland Park Boulevard and Ocean (A1A). It does not impress you from the curb, but once inside you'll find the ambience to be chic and upscale. We had been forewarned that the staff can be arrogant, which is hard to ignore when you are greeted with that kind of attitude the moment you step through the door. Yes, loyalists endure long waits to dine at this tiny, no-reservations Italian cafe, but we had a long day flying from coast to coast -- so opted to sit at the bar for our meal. I knew that this cafe was expensive, but when the entrees are recited to you, you have no idea of how 'expensive' that might be. The bartender didn't make me feel anymore comfortable for asking how much a particular (seafood pasta) entree was. Although I had read that the average entree cost in the range of $20 to $30, this dish was WELL ABOVE that! Heariing that their portions are huge, my husband and I decided to split a chopped salad and the seafood pasta. Both were excellent, as was the fresh bread. The background music wasn't so much in the 'background' as 'right there'. It was a little distracting. If you can get past the fact that this lovely little cafe is located in a strip mall (no view) and the staff has a well-practiced attitude of arrogance...then you might find yourself enjoying some wonderful Italian fare. Bring your wallet!

Toronto
“not a restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

I love 70's disco music but not when I'm trying to eat a very expensive dinner. It is so loud that you cannot converse at all with your dining companion. As for the verbal menu, you won't know the shocking total until the end of the meal. The food was very average. My husband did not even bother to eat the seafood pasta that he took home. There are much better Italian restaurants in FLL. This is a club scene not a restaurant. BTW I don't mind paying big $s for a great dining experience, but not in this place.

chicago burbs
“Surprisingly...I liked it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

I'm an old 44. I usually stay clear of the chic crowd. That said, I used to be in the restaurant biz and several people told me I must eat there. When I arrived at 11:00 last Saturday night I almost did not go in. I could hear pounding music and could see the place was packed. A very well dressed & cute girl was leaving with her date (husband?)& saw me hesitate to enter. She told me the food was great and literally dragged me in and made me promise to stay & eat. The place was packed with "beautiful people" and the music ridiculously loud. Me in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt. I duked the bartender & he got me a stool at the bar in a few minutes. I ordered a veal chop and a pasta special with sausage & peas. The veal chop was probably the best (and most expensive @ $69)I've ever had. The mushroom sauce outstanding. The risotto served with it very good. Also served on the plate was an outstanding vegatable (I think it was escerole. The pasta was good but not great. I bought two glasses of wine for two young guys next to me after they offered me some of their eggplant Parmesan while I was waiting for my food. A veal chop, pasta dish, two wines, four to six beers, and 3 jars of pasta sauce to take home--$190. Was it worth it? I don't know but...I had a good time. I'm not sure awesome $69 veal chops and pounding K.C. & and the Sunshine Band go together but--it is South Florida! In the end, the people (both staff and customers) were friendly, the food good to extraordinary, the music while too loud for my taste excellent (what a sound system! Very good DJ but I don't like the trend of fading out in the middle and going to the next song. I've got the time & patience to appreciate the entirety of a good song!)and people, including myself had fun. Don't bring grandma but if you can afford it--go.

A TripAdvisor Member
“me and 'MY Girls' loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

My three daughters and I ate at Cafe Martarano last Monday. We all loved it. It is expensive BUT, skip the wine and beer and take at least four people and you will eat better food for the same price as ????(Carrabas). Just be willing to share!! Portions are huge but fantastic taste.
Alan (Eve Val Chris)