“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Atlantic Hotel & Spa

You added The Atlantic Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   601 N Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Here, Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 134 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Calgary
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights pre-cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. With such a large choice of hotels it was difficult to decide where to stay but we are very glad we chose this one.

All the staff were very nice from the bellhop, doorman and front reception. We booked an ocean-front studio and were very impressed with the size and the amenities. We had a huge marble bathroom with large soaker tub, separate shower, separate toilet stall, double sinks, granite counters, lots of big fluffy towels. Nice bathrobes and slippers are in the room. Huge closets and a galley-style kitchenette, fully equipped, was really nice to have although we really didn't use it.

The bed was so comfortable, high quality linens, nice pillows, a large screen TV. There was also a lovely balcony overlooking the pool area and directly ocean-front. It was great to make ourselves coffee in the morning and sit out looking at the ocean. Heavenly. We spent part of the day sitting by the pool which overlooks the ocean and ordered lunch to have pool-side.

We ate in the restaurant downstairs for breakfast and dinner both days. You can eat indoors or out on the ocean-front terrace. Food was very good. In fact, when we returned from our cruise and stayed at the B Ocean (see my review) we walked here to have breakfast one morning. We were sorry we had not booked here for our post-cruise.

One thing I would mention is that the concierge ordered us a car to take us to the cruiseport and it was $48.00 including tip. Just take a cab, it will be under $20.00, probably about $15.00. That was a bit of a rip but it was the only negative note of our stay.

We are very glad that we discovered this hotel and if we're ever in FL again we would stay here.

Room Tip: We thought the ocean-front studio king was really great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Have stayed at the Atlantic many times over the last several years. Have noticed both the service and amenities go downhill. Lights not working, ac on th fritz, very little hot water. In my most recent stay, they did not honor the room I booked because they must have over sold. When I asked for the room I had booked, the front desk attendant told me that if I did not book directly through the hotel's website, they would not honor my request. I told them that I've been coming here for years and this is not a good way to treat guests...she shrugged her shoulders and told me she could not help. I was finally able to speak to the front desk manager, not the hotel manager because they were busy. She told me that I would need to produce a document showing the room type I had booked or they could not honor. I called my travel agent, had them email my confirm, showed that to the manager and was finally given the room I had originally booked. Overall not a great experience and combined with the other issues in the room, very disappointing. Will not be coming back given so many other options in FLL!

The Atlantic is a relatively nice hotel, but given all the options available, I'll stay elsewhere going forward!

Stayed November 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

A really nice hotel, with great views of the ocean and big, comfortable rooms. the pool is nice but small, as is the complimentary spa. The idea of a mini kitchen in your room sounds good, but the fridge was quite noisy, as was the sound of a neighbours water running. The hotel is close to the beach, but the beach is next to a very busy road, so a chilled out day isn't an option anyway. The biggest letdown is that the hotel is quite a walk from the tourist areas and the public transport isn't great out of season. The restraunt at the hotel is very nice, but don't expect much change from $60 a head. Be warned about the parking as well - at $28 a night, you can easily rack up a pretty big bill at this place, and it ain't cheap to start with!
Overall, a nice hotel but overpriced by at least 25%

• Stayed November 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in this hotel 2 years ago and were blown away by the whole experience. We have just spent 3 nights there ( admittedly while Tropical Storm Sandy was passing by). In my opinion, the hotel is like the curate's egg - good in parts. We thought that the staff were as good as before - welcoming and really helpful, In particular we found the concierge excellent and the front desk went the extra mile when we asked for a footstool in the room ( although it needed cleaning when it arrived.).
The hotel, however, is beginning to look tired. There were marks on the carpets, scuffs on the walls, the furniture in the rooms was stained and getting threadbare and the 'luxury hotel feeling' has gone! Time for a bit of refurbishment! The dark marble in the lobby and poor lighting in the corridors do not help.
Would we stay there again??? - not sure. Ft Lauderdale has a choice of really good beachfront hotels - maybe its tiem to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Deluxe studio was smaller than expected
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greensburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Based on reviews on Trip Advisor - and a brief stop at the Atlantic for brunch a few years ago - I decided to go ahead and book it for a long weekend, even though I may have found better value elsewhere. Thus, maybe my expectations were higher than they should have been, but I was highly disappointed in the Atlantic. The location is great - access to food and shopping without being right in the middle of it all, and the view from an oceanfront room is spectacular. The food and service in the East End Brasserie were also fabulous. And the staff was always very friendly and accomodating. They just never really fixed anything. Our first room was an oceanfront King - large room with double doors at the entry. Twice in day one, we had to call the front desk because the TV cable was not working properly. The engineer was able to fix it so my husband could watch ESPN, but there were still several channels not coming through. We also had a disturbing number of fruit flies in the room. The front desk staff came up and sprayed (hinting that maybe we had the bugs because we left the balcony door open - which we hadn't) and indicated the bugs were the result of the recent storm. The next morning, we realized that our air conditioning was not operating properly during the night - we both woke up sweating on several occasions. Thinking we just needed to turn it down, we didn't call the desk again. However, the second night - even with the thermostat on 60 degrees, we still couldn't get the room cold enough for comfortable sleeping (and yes, we removed the heavy comforter from the bed!) We called then - it was quite late - just to make sure we weren't missing something with the operation of the AC. The front desk staff came again - ensured that we were using the AC properly and again hinted that maybe we should leave the patio door closed (!). She did say that they would move us to another room in the a.m. They did help us change rooms. We were a little disappointed that our second room was actually SMALLER than our first one, although I'm sure it was in the same rate level as the first. However, after having a broken TV, weak AC and BUGS, you think they may have tried a little harder to ensure we were happy - if not by a room upgrade, then maybe a dining certificate or drinks . . . anyway - the second room's AC did work a little better, but still did not get as cold as the thermostat indicated. I actually wouldn't stay there again because of that. Sleep is really important to me when I'm on vacation and it's just impossible to sleep well when you're too hot.

Other annoying things: the hotel doesn't offer beach chairs and there were no vendors on the beach. Granted, it was right after the storm, but you think they would try to make arrangements with a vendor to be around to assist guests. The spa was nice, but overpriced and they automatically add 20% gratuity. The gentleman below was also right on about the rooms (two in our case) missing menus, pens, paper, a guide to TV channels. info on the hotel (we didn't find out about free coffee in the lobby until day 3), etc. It really is the little things that make or break a stay. Had some of those been in place, then the broken TV, poor AC and BUGS might not have bothered us so much.

Room Tip: Try the AC out BEFORE you unpack!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful stay!
Spent 4 nights with my wife at the Atlantic right after the storm came through. I was a bit concerned leading up to our trip but except for some additional sand piled up on the beach right across the street, everything was seemingly back to normal.
The hotel was great, great spa, great restaurant, and the concierge-Janete-was the single best I have come across...attentive, knowledgable, enthusiastic, and so nice. She loves her job and it clearly shows.
Don't expect a big pool but the pool attendant was very attentive. The gym and spa are fantastic too.
Good location across street from the beach. Use the trolley to get around during the weekend to go to Los Olas blvd for many restaurants and shopping. Highly recommend the water taxi too.
All in all, my wife and I had an extremely nice stay and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really appreciate this ocean-front property with the most friendly staff I have met in the US. Friendly without being overwhelming.My room was facing the ocean and was very spacious and beautifully designed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Atlantic Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!