“Fishy Fiasco” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For an authentic waterfront experience of food and fun, visit 15th Street Fisheries directly inside the city’s famous nautical landmark Lauderdale Marina. Dine on the waterfront but stay for the nightly tarpon feedings on the restaurant’s docks.
New York City, New York
“Fishy Fiasco”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

I have run several big restaurants in NYC and I am absolutely appalled at the shoddy service, terrible management and mediocre food during our unfortunate visit to the upstairs dining room at this restaurant last weekend. The server misordered my girlfriend's fish (ok, mistakes happen), and it took them 35 minutes to bring her a new dish. Meanwhile, I'd asked to have my fish kept hot while she was waiting, never imagining that it would take so long to remake hers. Instead of bringing me a fresh piece of fish, they served me the same one I'd started, which, of course, was disgusting after 35 minutes under the lights. I'd started with crab legs, which were delicious, and were on the menu as an entree for $40.00 with a notation that they were also available as an appetizer. I never thought to ask about app. price; since the average appetizers cost about $10 - $15, I figure this one should be somewhere in the ballpark, certainly not more than $20.00. And, my girlfriend had asked them to substitute a vegetable for the rice, which the server said he'd try to do. Not only were we charged for the additional side, but were charged $33.00 for the appetizer. This was the last straw, after the wrong order, long wait, etc. Even our wine was NEVER poured for us after the first glass, even the few times the server did approach the table and our glasses were empty. We spoke with the arrogant, glorified host-manager (David?) and he condescendingly explained that the "appetizer" was the same size as the entree only without the side dish (which we ended up paying for anyway), and that yes, the server probably should have mentioned that this appetizer was three times the price of the others, but there was nothing he could do for us. No apology for ANY of the mistakes, just a BAD attitude. We are New Yorkers, we are restaurant people, we never complain about prices and try not to judge service too harshly, but this place is a travesty. Avoid at all costs!

Ft. Lauderdale
“Something Fishy Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

We arrived at the reception desk and gave our names. The hostess gave a terse retort and told us to take the stairs or the elevator to the second floor.

When we arrived on the second floor, there was no one to meet us or seat us.
When we approached one of the waitresses, she told us to wait for the hostess.

At that point, the upstairs hostess came up to us and told us to leave the dining room. We were astounded at the unwelcoming and poorly coordinated system for seating patrons.
The hostess left and we waited. The waitress returned and seated us.

After a short wait, the waitress returned with an easel and the menu (on a white board). She set the easel about six-inches from my face and then began her recitation. After droning on about all of her favorite dishes, she removed the board and told us to order. Talk about a rushed situation. A regular menu would have been a better idea and would have allowed us time to review, at leisure, the offerings.

After ordering dinner, she bolted from the room and made only one appearance thereafter for the remainder of the meal--that being the time I caught her streaking across the room and begged her to fill my water glass.

At this point, a young girl came by with a basket of bread. She asked us which type of bread we wanted and then parceled out one-piece of bread per person. I guess this is the restaurant's way of limiting the amount of bread it serves. We all felt this was unnecessary and seemingly cheap. While we waited for our meals, we observed a couple at the next table.

After their waitress set the menu (white board) on their table, she left them for about twenty-minutes. The man became quite upset that they had left the board for so long. The menu blocked the view of the intracostal, and no one had returned to take their dinner order.

While we were seated, the waitresses used the counter behind our table as a staging area for bussed dishes. We had to ask them to bus the dishes in another location since the clamor was so loud, we were unable to converse. One wonders, why they would have such an area in the dining room adjacent to the clientele.

Our dinners finally arrived. The kitchen staff placed only one of the four dinners correctly. We had to shuffle the plates around in order correct the situation. We suspect this was another lapse on our waitress’s part.

With regards to our orders, the calamari were cooked well, but the breading was over salted. The salmon was cooked well as was the sea bass. The Caesar salad was poor. The lettuce was not fresh, the cheese was not Parmesan, but a shaker cheese (similar to that found in cheap pizzerias), and the croutons were an insipid bagged variety.

After completing our meal, our waitress finally returned (we had only seen her the one time I begged her to refill my glass of water). She told us about her favorite desserts and in the process, stepped on my foot two-times and never apologized once. At this point, we decided against dessert.

Several years ago, we had had good luck at this restaurant. That was not the case this evening. We invited a friend who was visiting from New York City. She loves fresh fish. To say that we were extremely embarrassed, is an understatement.

In summary:

The hostesses were unwelcoming and rude.

The waitress was basically absent.

The dining room staff was noisy, and not very helpful.

The easel menu is a poor idea.

The bread basket service is not diner friendly and seems cheap.

The food is not on par with the prices charged, and some of the food seemed on par with a strip mall pizzeria.

We were extremely disappointed and would not return again, nor would we recommend it to other diners.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Almost all fish is fresh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2004

I went to this restaurant with a group of eight for a business lunch on October 28, 2004. Food was O.K.. Those at my table who had the stone crabs thought that they were O.K. My Babyback ribs were excellent. One problem we had was with the member of our party that ordered the lobster said that it tasted funny. We as a group took a sniff and determined that there was some kind of disinfectant type odor to the lobster. We brought this to the attention of our waitress who said that there was nothing wrong, just that it was "pre-steamed". This steamed us up quite a bit as this place heavily advertises its fresh seafood. The waitress refused to admit that there was anything wrong....but she did take it off the bill.

I would recommend this place for it's location. I recommend you stay away from any fish that is not local.