“Not as good as our previous stay” 3 of 5 stars

Coral Reef Guesthouse
2.5 of 5 Specialty Inn   |   2609 NE 13th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Merritt Island, Florida
“Not as good as our previous stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was our second visit to the property. The property itself is very nice. We stayed in the private room off to the side that has a "garden view". The garden was pretty dead looking for it being springtime in Florida.

During our first stay, we encountered an employee by the name of Bobby who absolutely made our stay so enjoyable. He offered to help us and point us in the right direction in every way possible. We found out after returning that he was no longer with the coral reef guesthouse. That was terrible to us. Our stay was completely different without him there.

On our first morning we were hounded to have our room cleaned. I guess we hung around the room too long. We told the owner that we didn't need it cleaned and that we were staying until Monday. We left for the day and came back noticing that someone had been in our room even though we clearly stated we didn't want it cleaned.

Overall, the stay was ok. The rooms are nice and the property is beautiful just not back by the "garden" where we were. We didn't get as much bang for our buck like before. Not sure if we will be back.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 104
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
TheCoralReef, Manager at Coral Reef Guesthouse, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We had to clean your room. Other guests were complaining about the smell of marijuana smoke coming from your room. It was so strong that I could smell it from the office 200 feet away from your room. All of our rooms are non smoking. We had to clean your room and let in some fresh air. We could have charged you an extra cleaning fee but we took into consideration that you had stayed here before and want to make you comfortable.

I don't think our hotel is a good fit for you. Please stay somewhere else next year.

Aaron Adams
Manager / Coral Reef Guesthouse

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

As a world travel, I have always stayed at Brand name hotels..Well last minute trip to Fort Lauderdale on spring break all hotels were booked, or doubled in price due to being spring break. I came across the Coral Reef Guest house, Arron and Wayne where so helpful in accommodating us a last minute. The rooms where clean and upto date, the whole resort was excellent, the breakfast the guy"s supply in the morning is delicious. I will never use a brand name hotel in Fort Lauderdale any more when I can use Corral Reef Guest House.
Thank you Arron and Wayne for the hospitality you will all ways have my business every time I'm in Fort Lauderdale.
Thanks guys
Robb & Sean

Room Tip: Excellent rooms
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

I have been coming to this property for many years and its a wonderful b and b. Very relaxing. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the staff very accommodating. And its a great location! Close to the beach and excellent dining. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will come back again

Room Tip: Room 101 is the best....
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2015

We had stayed here before several times in the past. made a reservation March 10 for two nights mid week (less busy) based on their Google link description.

Apparently their policy had changed and now their are a hotel for men and women no with clothing optional", Aaron informed us in an email after our reservation was made. This was not what we were led to believe by seeing their Google link "gay male clothing optional" and from our past experiences there. We called and left a message to cancel the reservation and seek a refund.

Aaron seems to rarely answer the phone, so contacting them was strictly by voicemail or email. We waited to hear from them.....no reply ... all the while having $260 plus tax held on our credit card. No reply until the next morning when I came by in person to ask that our deposit be refunded. The owner, RW, said that he was going to give us a refund but now he didn't like my "attitude". That "attitude", I developed after getting no reply from them for the past day, which seemed to say something about his concern for our message. When I raised the issue of their advertised policy, RW didn't seem to be aware what their Google link currently said about their establishment a sought to quickly end our conversation by saying "talk to my manager". I'm thinking "wow an owner that can't approve a refund or negotiate". He said, "I was going to give you back 50% but your I don't like your attitude".

After my visit, and promising to return to talk to Aaron, I finally got return call and an email from him. He too claimed that he was going to refund our deposit, but he didn't like the tone in our last email. So Im led to believe that by not returning our calls or emails and standing behind their cancellation policy of no refund for cancellations with less then __21__ days prior. that he was going to make good on this claim. Why would someone say that they were going to refund your deposit if they felt no responsibility for the confusion...I'm fine with them changing their policy or demographic just return our deposit and change your advertising, and inform returning guests before accepting a reservation.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
TheCoralReef, Manager at Coral Reef Guesthouse, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
You Made the Reservation Directly through our Website. On our Website, it Clearly States that We Are an All Welcome Resort. You agreed to our terms and conditions before you made your reservation, in which you agreed to our polices of "clothing optional in accepting company" and our cancellation policy. How confusing is that? You being upset about our clothing optional policy is a testament to your intentions. We want all our guests to feel comfortable. The last thing we want is a guest taking the clothing optional thing too far and making other guests feel uncomfortable. For "clothing optional in accepting company" to not be enough for you, shows me what your intentions were. Stay at some other place if you’re looking for a place to hook up and play BECAUSE THE CORAL REEF IS NOT THAT PLACE. We are a High-End Luxury Resort, Not a Bathhouse.

As for as my responsiveness, I corresponded with you 3 times the afternoon you were arriving. And as I was leaving for the day, everything was still fine and you were still coming. 20 mins after I leave you change your mind and don't want to stay any more. We held that room for you for a whole week, would have loved to rent it out to someone but your last minute cancellation is of no fault but your own. Our cancellation policy (which you agreed to, yes I already stated this but your not so good at reading so I'll say it again) allows me to keep your deposit if you don’t show. Your the cause of your own problems.

Showing up at 10am the next morning, unannounced and trying to physically intimidate the Owner is the lowest move a Guest has ever made here. The owner felt threaten by you and went inside to get away from your advances. You should be ashamed of your actions.

The next response from you was an email where you threaten to leave a bad review if we didn't give you back your money. I am noticing a trend; you think you can bully people to get what you want. I am sorry, that is not how this works. You’re not getting your money back, your review is laughable, and we couldn't be happier that you didn’t stay at The Coral Reef Guesthouse.
Greencastle, Indiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

The minute you are welcomed and shown around by the owner or manager you begin to sense you are on to something special at The Reef.
The pictures of the rooms and grounds are absolutely accurate. Everything is up-to-date, attractive, and welcoming.

If you want to socialize with the other guests, you'll find a cosmopolitan group. On the other hand, if you prefer privacy that's certainly possible too.
But there is an air of congeniality at The Reef that is hard to ignore. The owner is a terrific host.
I'm a regular. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

This was my second time at Coral Reef, and it was as amazing as ever. Whether sitting by the pool sipping wine, or going for a late night swim, it was absolute paradise. The hospitality was great, and the service was excellent. I will definitely be staying there again next time I am in the area.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2015

Stayed one night prior to going on a cruise. Great friendly, clean and luxurious accomodation. Stayed across the street from the main part which was not a problem and the room had a whirlpool bath. The owner RW was extremely friendly and helpful even dropping us off at a restaurant in evening. Location is a short cab ride to Wilton Manors. Would definately recommend. Wifi could have been faster - but was free.

Room Tip: Don't be put off if your room is across the street - it is very quiet street and safe neighbourh...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Reef Guesthouse? Share your experiences!