As we approached the Hampton Inn City Center around 11 AM, my thoughts wandered to Puerto Morales Mexico near Cancun. We saw lots of buildings boarded up or partially demolished and several men sleeping in doorways or sidewalks in near the unused buildings.
Entering the Hampton Inn City Center, we observed an impressive lobby with a balcony, which we learned, housed the complimentary breakfast area. The room was typical Hampton Inn with the exception of the bedding. The mattress was soft and rough on my back.
There is a nice pool area with whirlpool and plenty of seating for sunbathing. The fitness room is well equipped and convenient to the elevators. We used a taxi from the airport to the Hampton Inn City Center that cost $14.60 plus tip. The hotel has complimentary parking near the entrance to the hotel.
The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn with choices of cereals, fruits, breads, pastries. Today’s hot food was sausage patties and French toast.
The Riverwalk area and Second Avenue dining and entertainment area is a short walk of about five blocks through a rather depressed area. We only saw two Taxi’s cruising the area leaving me to believe that you need to call to reserve a taxi.
I’d return if the price was right but I’d prefer to stay at a hotel closer to the Riverwalk to limit the use of taxis and minimize walking through the depressed area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dynamically located in the heart of Fort Lauderdale exciting downtown district, easy access to Las Olas shopping and entertainment district, Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Int'l Airport and beaches. We feature 156 appointed guestrooms featuring FREE HIGH-SPEED internet access, FREE HOT BREAKFAST, FREE local calls, FREE parking w/gated & covered parking available, in-room safe, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hairdryer, iron/ironing board, 2 telephones w/voice mail, TV w/extended cable, business center, outdoor pool/whirlpool, exercise room, convenience store, coin laundry, hospitality suite, and meeting facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Downtown - City Hotel Fort Lauderdale
- Hampton Inn City Center
- Fort Lauderdale Hampton Inn