“Great Hotel In A Bad Area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.

You added Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL. to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #33 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Great Hotel In A Bad Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

As we approached the Hampton Inn City Center around 11 AM, my thoughts wandered to Puerto Morales Mexico near Cancun. We saw lots of buildings boarded up or partially demolished and several men sleeping in doorways or sidewalks in near the unused buildings.

Entering the Hampton Inn City Center, we observed an impressive lobby with a balcony, which we learned, housed the complimentary breakfast area. The room was typical Hampton Inn with the exception of the bedding. The mattress was soft and rough on my back.

There is a nice pool area with whirlpool and plenty of seating for sunbathing. The fitness room is well equipped and convenient to the elevators. We used a taxi from the airport to the Hampton Inn City Center that cost $14.60 plus tip. The hotel has complimentary parking near the entrance to the hotel.

The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn with choices of cereals, fruits, breads, pastries. Today’s hot food was sausage patties and French toast.

The Riverwalk area and Second Avenue dining and entertainment area is a short walk of about five blocks through a rather depressed area. We only saw two Taxi’s cruising the area leaving me to believe that you need to call to reserve a taxi.

I’d return if the price was right but I’d prefer to stay at a hotel closer to the Riverwalk to limit the use of taxis and minimize walking through the depressed area.

• Liked — Hampton Inn quality and services
  • Disliked — Hotel located in a declining area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

This was my second stay at this particular Hampton Inn. I was down for a business trip and had a friend of mine tag along, so I thought this would be a nice alternative to the other Hamptons in the area, which are your standard 3 or 4 story Hampton on side streets away from downtown. This property is a nice high rise in the city center, only a 2 or 3 block walk from the "river walk" area with lots of upscale shops and restaurants. My favorite part of this hotel is its secure parking, its high rise feel, and its really nice pool area, which my friend enjoyed while I worked. :-)
The rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. I will say I found the bed a bit soft, and not what I have found to be the standard mattress in most Hamptons, which are very comfortable. But it was ok. The neighborhood does appear a little shady at night, but nothing that I think would deter me from staying here or recommending it to someone. We got a great rate and I would definitely stay here again. One last note... when we checked out, my freind left their cell phone charger in the room. I called the following day and spoke to housekeeping, who did have it, and fed ex'd to to us, so Thank You! I was sure it was a lost for good..

• Liked — Location, Pool Area
  • Disliked — Mattress was soft. Did not have the upgraded feel as most Hamptons Beds.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

I have read the reviews of this property and I have no idea how people could possilbe say such glowing things about this property. Where should I begin?

Location: Poor
Housekeeping: Poor
Shower Pressure: Poor
Bed: Poor
Heating/AC: Poor
Room Size: Poor

There is nothing special about this property, in fact I respectfully submit this property is more of a Holiday Inn Express or even a really nice Travelodge---it is certainly NOT up to Hilton standards.

The location is downtown, and at night, it is unsafe to walk. In fact the entire property seems in a lock down mode as your room key serves to allow you access to the parking garage, any room above of the 2nd floor and to the lobby after 11pm. Need I say more?

Furthermore, the property is near...nothing expect a McDonalds around the corner. The other reviews would have you believe the location provides easy access to Las Olas Blvd or even the port. While it is true these areas are close in terms of miles; in terms of walking or a cab ride it might as well be halfway around the world.

The rooms are small; the water pressure is the worst; housekeeping is probably the worst I have experienced at a Hampton Inn; the hallways and room always fell warm despite to the AC running; the beds and pillows are uncomfortable. Lastly, the parking garage (free parking) can be tough to drive in....The turns are tight and even for the most experienced driver, there is a very good chance of running the car into a pole.

In all fairness, this property is probably just fine for a single night, but it is certainly not worth spending more than $89 per night, nor would I recommend this property for an extended stay. I stayed for 5 nights for a conference, and I tried like heck to change my hotel after the first night.

As a person loyal to the Hilton brand, I am very disappointed in this property and cannot help but feel some of the reviews must have been written by friends/family/workers of this property.

All in all, if you can stay somewhere else...book it!

• Liked — Nothing, I really have nothing nice to stay
  • Disliked — A lot more than what I listed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

My partner and I stayed here the night before our cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We arrived very late (after midnight) and were greeted by Cesar, the nighttime desk guy. He was friendly, and had us in the room in about five minutes. The room was clean, and exactly what we expected from a Hampton Inn.

Even though it was spring break time, the hotel was absolutely quiet and beautifully maintained (meaning no kids running up and down the hallways in the night or drunk college kids).

We took advantage of the quiet and enjoyed a dip in their 2nd floor hot tub, which was just what we needed after a very long flight. Towels were provided by the front desk.

Their free breakfast was quite nice. They had it set up so you could make your own sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit, along with fruit, yogurt, cereal, and sweet rolls. I was enough to get us to the buffet on the cruise ship!

I don't know what your cab ride will cost from the Fort Lauderdale airport, but ours was $15.16. I believe it was a 10 minute drive. They don't have a free shuttle, but they do have some sort of deal with a shuttle service for getting to the cruise port ($8/person).

I didn't get much of a look at the neighborhood, but it seemed a little unsavory to me. There is an abandoned building (looks like an old school) across the street where I saw several homeless people camping out. Sadly, this was our view from the room. They do have very good security procedures though. You need your room card to enter the building (at least for every door I went through), so I didn't feel concerned about my safety.

It's a beautiful building, very clean, and I intend to stay here again before my cruise in 2009.

I got, I felt, a great deal from the hotel website. I booked it several months before our cruise, and for some reason decided to check again about a month before we left. The price had dropped by $79.82, so I called Hampton, explained the situation, and they gave me the lower rate with no fuss at all. Very good customer service, in my opinion!

• Liked — Clean, Friendly, No Hassles
  • Disliked — Location (a minor point for me though)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

I spent a night here before my drive down to Key West. It was exactly what I was looking for, a clean, comfortable place to spend the night, relatively close to I-95, and a good complimentary breakfast. Parking is provided in a gated parking garage.

Check-in was fast and courteous. The hotel is located within walking distance of the shops and restaurants along the RIverwalk. The hotel is located a fair distance from the beach, so if the beach is your primary destination, this won't be the most convenient lcoation for you.

This was the first hotel I've been in that actually required a room key to operate the elevator, so there are additional safety features.

The complimentary breakfast was well-stocked and had a decent variety. The breakfast area was fairly spacious and finding somewhere to sit wasn't a problem.

I had a few minor issues, but nothing insurmountable. I went to use the vending machine on my floor to get a soda, and it wasn't stocked, so I went down to the next floor. (I used the stairs and my room key worked.) Same scenario, so I ended up trying twice more before I was successful. A minor inconvenience, but not the end of the world.

Also, the parking garage ramp curves are TIGHT! I realize that parking garages aren't known for wide circulation lanes, but these are some of the narrowest I've seen, and it doesn't help when they have columns in the middle of them either. Aside from a few very careful turns, parking is covered and conveniently attached to the hotel.

• Liked — Cleanliness, breakfast, access to restaurants
  • Disliked — Out-of-stock vending machine and tight curves on parking garage ramp
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Excellent covered and gated non-valet parking. A free trolley appears every 20 minutes to take you to the main shopping and restaurant district (important because parking space is very scarce in Ft. Lauderdale). The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms and baths are large and clean. Wifi internet access is available in the rooms, and reaches to at least the 7th floor. There is a good and varied free breakfast available on the 2nd floor breakfast promenade. Slightly pricey, but costs only about 1/3 the very pretentious luxury resort hotel we visited, which did not provide free amenities this hotel provided. We would stay there again.

Stayed March 2008
Edmonton Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

Considering the high price for hotels in Fort Lauderdale this hotel is good value. While not on or near the beaches it is a good choice for a precruise night if finances are a consideration. The rooms are very clean and the beds/linens wonderful. They offer a hearty buffet breakfast from 6-10 a.m. consisting of fruit/yogurt/muffins,breads,toast/cereals, eggs with biscuits and gravy - another added value. There is a Publix a few blocks away if you have forgotten anything for your trip and they do offer a shuttle to the cruise port in the morning. We called a cab, however as the lineup for the shuttle seemed very long. Staff was friendly and courteous and we would definately stay here again.

• Liked — complimentary breakfast and office facilities
  • Disliked — dowtown location is a little seedy
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.

Address: 250 North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Location: United States > Florida > Fort Lauderdale
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#28 Romantic Hotel in Fort Lauderdale
#29 Family Hotel in Fort Lauderdale
#33 Business Hotel in Fort Lauderdale
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL. 2.5*
Dynamically located in the heart of Fort Lauderdale exciting downtown district, easy access to Las Olas shopping and entertainment district, Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Int'l Airport and beaches. We feature 156 appointed guestrooms featuring FREE HIGH-SPEED internet access, FREE HOT BREAKFAST, FREE local calls, FREE parking w/gated & covered parking available, in-room safe, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hairdryer, iron/ironing board, 2 telephones w/voice mail, TV w/extended cable, business center, outdoor pool/whirlpool, exercise room, convenience store, coin laundry, hospitality suite, and meeting facilities. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Downtown - City Hotel Fort Lauderdale
Hampton Inn City Center
Fort Lauderdale Hampton Inn

If you own or manage Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.