“Better late then never!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lush Royale

You added Hotel Lush Royale to your Saves list
Hotel Lush Royale
2.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   2901 Terramar Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newburyport Massachusettes
“Better late then never!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Decided I needed my two cents worth.
Booked this property because it was connected so I thought with the Royal Palms, now known as the not so royal.
We arrived about 6:45pm to find the office already locked and staff gone home. Being there for the first time, we felt it was very odd and completely unsafe as when word gets out on the street, there is no telling who may get wind of this and end up in the rooms without permission and destroy or hurt a potential guest who is unaware of his surrounding. It's just bad business practice and leaves a very poor first impression. Luckily, we found a guest who was just returning who showed us where to find our unsecured keys.
We weren't renting a cheap room as we opted for their $200.00 + suite that was nicely appointed but was old.
One thing that we liked, there was a card under the bed that states, yes we check and clean here too, something the Royal Palms has completely given up on.
Housekeeping was inconsistent and out of our 6 day stay, room was cleaned twice.
Why?? For we didn't exit until 1 or 2 pm and we guess, housekeeping has probably already left for the day.
Place was not full and location although close in proximity to the beach almost gave us the feeling of staying in the hood versus resort area.
There are other areas that give a better feeling and are more resort oriented just south of this area.
Would we return?? NO, because unfortunately, this is owned by the corporation North Beach Properties who is quickly expanding their base, but also laying to rest, the wonderful reputation these properties once had.
I can't for the life of me understand why if they feel the place needs to lock up so early, they don't have the guest check in at say the Not So Royal which is manned by a clerk, 24 hours.
Now back to the suite, it was passable and not at all bad, but I would bet my bottom dollar, if this review was up to date, it would hold much more criticism.
So in ending, if this new investment company will slow down and show pride in their current holdings, they have potential, but if grabbing everything on the market to expand their empire is more important, I see a crash that won't be pretty, as no matter how many newbies arrive each year, the power of social media will prevail and the guest that once supported this small oasis, will sooner or later, all move on. What has the is place still taped and holding together are all the positive reviews that where posted in the past for another ownership that showed a different strategy. Possibly not enough profit, which shows how difficult this business really is. Good luck, I hope they listen before it's too late.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed 4 night in April 2014. We had stayed there several years ago when it was the old Royal Palms and we loved it. But after the new ownership took over, something seems off. The staff seemed unfriendly and the attention to detail (physical and staff) seemed to be lacking. I don't have much good to say about "north beach village". My favorite guest house, the old "Dunes" when straight, the new Royal Palms has become family friendly (friends just stayed their this weekend and had nothing good to say, they were so upset) and I still can't figure out when the Plaza Bistro is open. North Beach Village is the worst thing that has happen to the gays since the Republicans.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is my 4th time stay at Lush, and my second review for this property on TripAdvisor. Still a great location - easy walk to the beach. Still spacious rooms - the older property has charm, the newer adjoining property a bit more modern feel. But after those positive comments I have to say that this recent stay was a bit disappointing.

I arrived early and found no one in the main office. I actually waited for for almost 20 minutes with no employees in sight. I finally called the property phone number, but was redirected to a switch board. I explained that I was sitting in the hotel lobby with my luggage but could find no employees. After a few more minutes someone showed up who obviously didn't work at this property. He tried to assist me but was unable to get into the reservation system, finally the property manager Rick showed up and was able to help - no apology or explanation as to why the main office is not manned. My room wasn't ready (which was not a problem as I was early). I wanted to change, it would have been nice to have been given an area to change into something more suitable for the beach area (I was arriving from the colder north). I changed in the hotel lobby.

My room was fine, but cleaning service was so inconsistent. I stayed 4 nights and not once was my room cleaned prior to 5 PM in the evening. I would spend the entire day out and about and return in the later afternoon to find my room still unserviced. The first time it happened I simply requested towel and shrugged it off, but it happened every day. The last night my room was serviced but no fresh towels were left, and of course the office was already closed for the day (6 PM) and I had to go find a pool towel. In speaking with other guest - we all shared the same frustration. Gone are the days when you could get up early and have breakfast by the pool and your room cleaned as you had coffee and chatted with other guest.

The other complaint has already been noted by other travelers - no functioning hot tub. There used to be robes in each room - it appears that robes are not in every room. Robes and towels must be in short supply

As to the staff, I found them pleasant but not every motivated to help or assist or particularly concerned about the lack of towels, the speed of the cleaning staff, the grounds condition - towels and bottles left out for days with no one serving the area.

I realize that the property is now a part of a larger conglomerate, and that there is an absentee owner; sadly this place has lost its specialty boutique hotel feel - warm and inviting. Which was a key element in staying there. Andrew the former manger is gone and no working at another property (perhaps I should go there) and so is most of the spark that this place used to have. I think the next time I visit Fort Lauderdale I will be going to another property - even a large chain hotel would be better or at least consistent service. Sadly, I have a feeling that no one in a position to do anything about the service and hospitality of this property even cares to read these reviews.

Sad farewell to Lush Royale.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This resort was charming overall. There definitely was something wonderful about the atmosphere. Definitely were pros and cons.

Pros:
The rooms were clean and the decor was nicely done. The staff was friendly but not overly so. There are two pools which is helpful when the resort is full. For the price it was a fairly good value. There is plenty of off the street parking which is good too. The beds were comfortable and the linens were a nice quality.

Cons:
The standard queen was small. That's not necessarily surprising in a standard room. They bill themselves as having a kitchenette or kitchen in every room. Definitely not the case. A mini fridge in the closet isn't a kitchenette. They really ought to remove this from their website because it's not only misleading but an outright lie. When we checked in and walked to the room, there were towels everywhere with people not using them. No one came through to clean them up. No big deal I thought, they will get picked up overnight. Wrong. 10:00 am the next morning all of the dirty towels were still strewn about. To top it off, Saturday they ran out of pool towels and didn't have more on Sunday. This isn't really acceptable in Florida.

Would I stay here again? Maybe depending on the price and whether I had the choice to stay elsewhere. Overall it was just ok. This could be the perfect resort with a little fine tuning.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Wilmette, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel was available for us last minute on our way back from the Key's.....Rick the manager was very professional and accomodating...Spa was not working.....However the Weather was cold during our visit so a hot spa would have been a nice option..No discount was offered by hotel owner's...Our room had a broken cieling light fixture and it was fixed the next morning, so they seem to be on top of thing's..... Continental breakfast was nice and everything seemed fresh...Even had tomatoe juice for the Bloody Mary fan's.....all you had to do was supply your own vodka...No happy hour was offered during our wed thru fri stay...that seemed strange...!...since all the other Gay establishment's in the immediate area do...Would we stay again...?.......Probably if we were not able to get in elswhere...

Room Tip: Ask for the north building.....seems as though they bought the north hotel recently....remodeled it...
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Loved this place when it was the Royal Palms. Second visit here since the Royal Palms moved and this became the Lush Royale. The first time was ok, not too much had changed but we found it has really gone downhill on this visit. The grounds are still beautiful, and the employees friendly, but sadly it goes downhill from there. Our room was worn and tired looking, handles missing off dressers, etc...just not what had become expected of this property. The shower was disgusting. I went out and bought a bottle of Clorox cleaner to spray in there before we would even go in it. It is High Season with High Season rates and yet the Hot Tub had been broken for at least a week...one of the pleasures of the property. People get hot tubs put in in a week, and you can't get one repaired? I feel like whomever bought this place is still riding on the former reputation of it, but that will only last so long.....When you book what is supposed to be an upscale place, that is what you expect. The grounds are beautiful, but the rooms and amenities need to be nice as well.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place has friendly guests and a friendly staff, but the new management makes some questionable decisions. For starters, you can't suddenly change the time of breakfast by an hour, or let the hot tub be a cold tub for over a week, or just let some rooms get cleaned each day and others stay dirty. Chances are you will find something odd in your room--a coffeemaker that doesn't work or handles that fall off the dresser. I also heard that some of the North Beach properties are overbooked, so you could wind up in a different hotel from the one you chose.

I wonder what the corporate (straight absentee) owners have in mind.
More and more of their properties are "gay friendly" not gay so I wonder if they don't care as much about catering to their clientele. That said, they have some awesome staff members--Alden and Rick are the best.

I had a good time there despite the minor annoyances. This is a great location--near the beach and shopping.

Room Tip: The back section is more modern, the front section has some nice suites.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lush Royale? Share your experiences!