“Infamous Elbo” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Northport, Michigan
“Infamous Elbo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The rating is for the historical/hysterical site still being open. The infamous Elbo Room. People go to say they have, enjoy the location directly across from the ocean and 1 block from the historical International Swimming Hall of Fame (very worth seeing). It is VERY ultra casual and rustic. However, I prefer to see very casual and clean go hand-in-hand. I'm not talking about sand. How about a coat of fresh paint, maybe wash the chairs, tables, bar, bathrooms - this place gets very busy on a weekend night with live music. Fun. Reward your customers with a little spiff up!

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Great night! (Rough morning)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Had the best time at the Elbo Room during a recent trip to sunny Fort Lauderdale. (Had to stop here as my boyfriends parents first met here in the 60's! Aww..) It's a prime spot right on the beach. Drinks were tourist prices (we found cheaper "happy hour" drink down the road). But still hung out in the afternoon and came back for more in the evening (till they literally kicked us out!) Can't even remember if the service was good or bad, but it just seemed like The Place To Be if you're not into the club scene. Some live music, and cool people (mostly tourists there to have fun!) Personal highlight: rubbing elbows with a couple of the Toronto Maple Leafs (and their dads!) at the Elbo Room the night before their game.

Visited February 2014
Holland
“We even had our portrait drawn for free!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I found out the Elbo Room was famous as I was sitting there having a beer. I had no idea it had been in a movie and was a staple of Fort Lauderdale. It was fun being in a place with that much nostalgia, and I agree with other people, the pictures on the wall were very cool to look over. As we sat, listening to live music, an artist came by with a portrait he had sketched of my boyfriend and I. How fun! He said it was free, but being the mother of a starving artist, I insisted we pay him for the sketch.
Great bartender, great music, and as all places in that location, great people watching. I'll go back again next time we're in Fort Lauderdale.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“A Staple of Fort Lauderdale and Spring Break History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have never ate at the Elbo Room, so i cannot attest to their food but I can tell you that I always had a good time here. The Elbo Room in Fort Lauderdale has been in business for a long time (i think they just had a big anniversary) without much change. It has photographs all over the walls of Spring Break past. Friendly bartenders who are knowledgeable about the area and the Elbo Room history. It is right across from the beach, so you can walk right in with your flip flops and be casual. No frills about it, just a bars bar. Outdoor seating available. Just a really fun place with a lot of history. I really appreciate the Elbo Room and hope it stays around for years to come!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Holt, Michigan
“Had better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I wasn't a fan of this place. It has a great location for hanging out, drinking, meeting people (30 and under) but I wasn't impressed by the service. We had to get our own drinks. There is some small seating outside, don't move though, someone will take your seat. Not a very clean bar/restaurant either. Tables, stools not wiped down. Small dance floor and you would think with there being history here it would have better upkeep. We never went back.

• Visited April 2013