“Hidden Jem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
PA
“Hidden Jem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

very pretty little hotel. Smaller than you think but big on service. Nice size clean rooms. Nice pool, great dock and water views. water taxi tops at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I found this tranquil gem through Trip Advisor. My husband and I had 24 hours alone, courtesy of Grandma. After staying with the kids and extended family at Lago Mar, I booked one night at The Pillars for the 2 of us. This hotel is a treat. It is peaceful, beautiful and the staff is courteous and helpful. I would not recommend The Pillars for family, but for a honeymoon or just a recharge, it is an oasis in a busy town. It is just behind the Ritz Carlton on the Intercoastal. We stayed in a poolside room, beautiful, well-appointed and spacious. It is just one block from the Ritz Carlton's beach, which is nice, though we did not make it to the beach, choosing instead to hang in the room and at the pool. I can't wait to book another "grown-up" weekend here sooner than later. Who needs the Caribbean when The Pillars is a Jet Blue flight away from NYC where we live. I can see myself getting addicted. The rooms are not inexpensive, but we were here xmas/new years and I am hoping that they come down as the winter moves along.

• Liked — Tranquility..mostly couples. Very private.
  • Disliked — No bar at 5 PM for a cocktail
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
De Haan, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

We arrived here directly from our intercontinental flight from Europe. It was the ideal hotel to spend the first nights of our holidays, unwinding, relaxing and exploring the Fort Lauderdale beaches and surroundings. The location is perfect, directly on the intracoastal waterway and one and a half block from the beach or from the stop of the water bus. We liked the calm atmosphere of the hotel in contrast with the massive hotels along the ocean boulevard.
All staff members were friendly and hospitable. The manager, Caroline Bonnell assisted us whenever needed. We enjoyed breakfast in front of our room but could also have it in the room, in the library or on the terrace along the sound. One evening, we had a delicious dinner on this terrace under the stars.
Our ground level room was comfortable but the bathroom was small with just a walk-in shower. Only one room (besides the suites)has a bath tub.

• Liked — its location at the intracoastal waterway
  • Disliked — the plunge pool
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Being in September, my husband & I felt like we practically had this place to ourselves. The best part was the wonderful and delicious dinners - we ate at the property the first night and were so satisfied that we ate again the second, which we never normally do. The service was outstanding and so was the food. The view from the waterfront is gorgeous. Rooms could use some sprucing up - outside better than the inside. This place needs dimmer switches badly. We stayed in one of the largest rooms (intercoastal suite) and the bathroom was rather small and no shelving for toiletries. Checkin was lacking - we waited about 10 minutes for the lady to get off the phone doing a reservation (never even acknowledging us) and then looked at us blankly when she finally got off phone to ask us if we had been helped! (There was NO ONE else around!) She never even asked if we needed help with the luggage. Go there for the restaurant , view and private pool. It is worth just those things.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

This is an awesome property 1 block from a beautiful stretch of beach. From the time we arrived, to the time we left we were treated unbelievably well. The property is small but well kept...It is almost like being on your own private island. We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine from the wine cellar. A swim in there exceptionally clean pool. A fablous view of the intercoastal waterway. We will definitley stay here again!

• Liked — the well appointed rooms with their great use of space and furnishings
  • Disliked — ran out of ice, there ice machine was broken
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

My husband and I always look at the reviews on TripAdvisor before we make our vacation plans and the reviews were right on. From the moment we arrived at The Pillars, we knew we did indeed find a jewel.

We were greeted immediately by the General Manager when we arrived. Check-in was quick and we were shown around our room. The room was kept neat and clean and you could tell they have a sense of pride in their property.

We normally try to stay at a bed and breakfast on our trips, I was more than happy that we chose The Pillars instead because the service that we received was excellent. The General Manager (I can't recall his name) had his pulse on everything that was going on. Even though the property is smaller than a large hotel, we saw him everywhere we went making sure that everything was just right for the guests. The rest of the staff were friendly too. You could tell they enjoyed working there.

The property is fantastic. From the street it appears to look like a small hotel, when you go inside, you notice that the rooms face a swimming pool in the center and the property faces the water. It's pretty and it was so relaxing, especially at night when we sat outside on the water watching the yachts by the moonlight.

Another great feature of The Pillars is the water taxi picks you up right on their dock - talk about convenient! My husband and I would definately stay at The Pillars again.

• Liked — The service and the location
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

I stay at the Pillars every three to six months and have been for the past four years. There is nothing else like it in all of Ft. Lauderdale. The staff knows me personally, since I make it a habit of going so often, but even to those they do not know personally, I see the interaction and sheer attention to detail they give to everyone. The same staff has been there for quite some time, and it's great to see a familiar face when I walk in the door, be it Tom, Amy or Jessica or Caroline.

More important is the sheer beauty of the place. When you are inside their little sanctuary, you would never guess what lies beyond. They have a nice breakfast menu, but it's expensive so I usually eat light anyway, and opt for a later breakfast at the little french crepe place on Las Olas. The coffee is excellent so I am happy with coffee and hot croissant.

The rooms are lovely. They have flat screen HDTV's, marble showers, a desk, and some of the rooms have mini bar with a sink and microwave. The beds are so comfortable, it's hard to drag yourself out of them.

The lobby is very welcoming. It's a great place to sit and relax with the paper or a drink. They have a beautiful bookcase with books to take at your leisure. I usually leave my finished books with them to add to their collection. They also have a comprehensive DVD list that you can check out, take a movie back to your room, all free of charge. They serve wine, but no liquor as they do not have a license for that. I just make a quick trip to Crowne Wine and Sprits and bring my own stuff back to the room.

The pool is salt water and truly beautiful. The pool chairs are fabulous. Every single thing is fabulous...I can't say enough.

The water taxi comes right to their dock and can take you to just about anything you might want to venture to, but I always get a car. Parking is free. You can walk to the beach, which is hardly ever crowded, and they provide beach towels if you need one.

It is so peacful and lovely, I leave the place with a heavy heart every time I go, but I always know within a short time, I will return. It's the very best of Ft. Lauderdale,

• Liked — The beauty of the place.
  • Disliked — There is absolutely nothing to dislike.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Pillars Hotel Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!