“Lovely hotel...just a few disappointing service aspects” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Pillars Hotel Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
The Pillars Hotel Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 N Birch Rd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Ranked #6 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Lovely hotel...just a few disappointing service aspects”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I tend to stay at boutique hotels whenever I travel on holiday and the pillars certainty deserves to be a SLH. The location is stunning and building beautiful with a lovely pool area. There were a few things I would point out:

1. There wasn't a great hot breakfast selection for non meat eaters - I asked if they had vegetarian substitutions for the meat in their American breakfast eg some vegetarian sausages or grilled vegetables, or could do a vegetable omelette (a very common option elsewhere) and they didn't have any options

2. Some aspects of service weren't great. I would start by saying that there were two great reception staff and I am only sorry I didn't get their names to make a personal reference but there was a gentle man with glasses and a lady with long brown hair. They were very helpful throughout my trip and are a credit to the hotel.
3. Aside from then, on the first night I booked to eat at the restaurant at the hotel and had a 9pm booking. We turned up at 9pm to be told (with no apology) that our table was not ready yet and it would be another 15-20 minutes. My husband asked what the delay was as we were not offered a reason and we were told that people on the earlier sitting had turned up late. So we were offered a drink at the bar, I wasn't clear at that stage if it was a complimentary drink as it was never made clear although i must add that my husband didn't think we were charged for the drink. So we sat and waited and after 35 minutes I was tired of waiting with no communication (no one had updated us at all) and went to ask what was happening to be told the table was now ready again with no apology and we only received a passing apology when I sat down at the table - possibly because they I could see from the look on my face I wasn't very impressed. I dine at what you may call 'high end' restaurant s once a week in London and never in my life have I had to wait 35 minutes for a table - if someone turns up late it is not the fault of the person who turns up on time. Thankfully the rest of the meal was smooth (albeit the food was surprisingly average, I had expected more) but we had an excellent waiter. On my last day we were not leaving the hotel until around 5 (i must add that the hotel were kind enough to offer us an extra hour to check out) so we popped out in the afternoon and returned back to the hotel later in the afternoon. I didn't see any of the waiting staff so I asked the lady at reception if I could get a drink and explained that I had already checked out so it could not be put on my room bill and got my wallet out. She looked at me rather incredulously as to why was I bothering her and she stomped off to get the drink.....I stood there with the money in my hand and she walked straight past me to get something for the drink. By this stage surprised at her attitude I walked off back to my seat. When she brought the drink out she put it down and walked off without a word. This may sound rather small but to be frank she soured what had been a nice afternoon, I wasn't sure why she took an attitude, possibly for whatever reason my custom was not valued.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

A friend who has a home in the area recommended The Pillars as a treasure in Fort Lauderdale and it did not disappoint!

The hotel is elegant with a gracious staff and a quiet and convenient location a couple of blocks from the beach. The restaurant serves dinner by the water. Our meal was so lovely and delicious.

I would definitely go back.

Campton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel was amazing! It is a bit pricy, but worth every penny! When checking in, we were greeted by Caroline, who was extremely friendly and helpful, got us a reduced rate on a suite, and offered us a glass of wine while checking in (wine selection was top of the line, everything delicious). She then escorted us on a tour of the hotel and showed us to our rooms. The room was incredible. Very large and every amenity you could want. Espresso machine, wonderful shower, incredible bedding and mattress, very clean. The pool area is beautiful, surrounded by a stone terrace with pillars and palm trees and white linens; very relaxing. Huge comfy towels, and fresh chilled fruit water all day. The pool overlooks a private dock on a waterway, and the sun sets directly over. The dock has seating for the hotel's restaurant, which only has 8 tables per night and books in advance. We found this hotel last minute, so we could not eat there, but the front desk's recommendations for restaurants were awesome! We ordered a bottle of champagne to the pool area during sunset, and the man working at the front desk showed up just as our glasses got empty to top us off. Fabulous service. Every time we tried to tip an employee they told us it was not necessary (we did anyways because it was well deserved). Turn down service with pillow chocolates. The next day for lunch we ordered room service to the pool area. Both selections were incredible, possibly the best sandwich I've ever had! When inquiring about the distance to the airport, Caroline found out all of our flight information, including where we return our rental car, and printed our boarding passes for us! Overall, this hotel was absolutely incredible. It is a couple blocks away from the fun bars, a less-than two minute walk to a beautiful part of Ft. Lauderdale's beaches, and it still feels like a little oasis away from everything. It had us feeling so relaxed and pampered, and is the best hotel we have stayed at within the United States. Thank you for a lovely stay! : )

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruddervoorde, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night and I really liked it. The location was very good, it's not situated on a busy street and yet it's not far from the big boulevard.
The clerk was very friendly, while waiting for check-in he offered us to beverages.
After the check-in someone took us for a small tour showing us the pool and our room.
We left our luggages behind at the reception.
The tour took five minutes. Our room was on the first floor (room 107, if I recall correctly) which had a nice view of the pool.
Our room was spacious, it did had a small bathroom. But that didn’t really bother us.

The guy then left the room and brought us our luggage. That’s really a nice service and I did appreciate that.
I slept in three hotels during my Miami trip and The Pillars Hotel was the only one who brought me my luggage.

I often forget to bring my own shower gel to the hotels, but I dislike using those from the hotels , so I was pleasantly surprised
when spotting the Molton Brown toiletries.

We did not stay for dinner nor did we had breakfast. I might do that the next time.
Although I must say, as the price of the room is not really cheap, I would appreciate a complimentary breakfast.
The other two hotels were a little cheaper and a very nice breakfast was included.

We did appreciate the free WIFI and that we were able to park our car.
My general impression is very ok, as I said, it would be nice if breakfast was included.
I’d like to come back next time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful one night stay for our 25th anniversary prior to a cruise. We had the most amazing suite along the intercoastal...everything looked brand new living room area had a sofa chairs and coffee table and flat screen tv this corner unit had views of pool and intercoastal..beautiful plantation shutters expresso coffee/minibar luxury linens whirlpool bathtub with great bath essentials the whole room smelled of vanilla n lavender morning newspaper comfy lounge chairs by pool with complimentary chilled water with fruit slices..breakfast was excellent in the restaurant..truly a 10 wish we stayed longer..peaceful relaxing stay

• Stayed April 2013
ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A block off the beach, but right on the bay. We would suggest a room on the second floor that surrounds the pool. Turn down service nightly and a newspaper daily was a nice addition. We loved the pool and the private water taxi stop that was at the hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and professional. It was nice that it is a small hotel and your needs are catered to. The patio with a table was a nice place to have a snack. The only downside was neighbors who were smoking at their table. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but it had a varied menu. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A second floor room with a patio facing the pool.