“What a Great Place to Begin a Cruise Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #46 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Shore, Quebec
“What a Great Place to Begin a Cruise Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

My wife and I wanted to begin our trip with a two-night stay in FLL and we selected this hotel after Googling for proximity to both the Boardwalk and the Cruiseport. We were not dissappointed. From the moment the cab dropped us off, the stay was wonderful. Useful info from the bellboy...front desk staff was pleasant and helpful...room had a great view on the coming ships...pool area was relaxing - we didn't mind the traffic noise at all...breakfast was copious and tasty. We like long walks and enjoyed ours and felt secure in the area. Above all, this is very reasonably priced quality hotel. We definitely plan to go back to the Renaissance whenever we cruise from Port Everglades.

646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

The Renaissance is a nice property overall, but it feels like a 3.5-star hotel and not a 4-star hotel. It is very convenient to the port, but since I was not going on a cruise, I really should have stayed elsewhere. I took a gamble staying at this hotel because the price couldn't be beat and was fine.

The exterior of the hotel is very nondescript, and the surrounding area is the same. I really liked being walking distance to the Einstein Bros. bagel shop, but there wasn't too much else around besides strip malls and offices. The water taxi stops a short walk away and it's a pretty quick trip to the airport from the hotel, which are pluses.

The hotel lobby and common areas are pleasant. Front desk staff were professional, but they didn't seem too excited with their jobs. I liked that the pool had some character to it, but the road noise was a bit much to enjoy sitting in the comfy chairs. The hot tub was just that: a tub of hot water. When I asked an employee why the water jets didn't work, I was told that it was a hot tub, not a Jacuzzi. Hmph.

My room was nicely appointed with an east-facing view that, were it not for the buildings across the street, would allow me to look at the water. Oh well, it was still pretty darned nice.

What I didn't like was the construction noise I heard. I wanted to take an afternoon nap (post-red-eye flight, pre-dinner) but couldn't because there was incessant drilling. I called the front desk and asked about it; I was told it would end at 6 PM and not a moment later. I wish the hotel had been forthcoming about this on its website. Hmph again.

One quirky thing I noted about the hotel--perhaps to compensate for its lack of structural character--was the lobby music. I've honestly never heard that sort of quasi-electronic, semi-abstract, partially-elevator music before. A+ for skipping the Kenny G stuff! But alas, that was not enough to fully compensate for the hotel's shortcomings.

Overall, this is a great pre- or post-cruise hotel if the right price can be had. Just remember to account for the outrageous $20 parking charge when budgeting. But if you're like me and are in the area to see the town, you should head further north and stay close to Las Olas Blvd.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

It's the third time we stay here and we are never disappointed. We stayed before our cruise and after our cruise. For post-cruise stays, we knew not to expect our room ready when we checked in early and they graciously stored our luggage while we went shopping. Our room was ready when we returned in the afternoon. We especially enjoy the welcoming lobby where there is plenty of sitting areas. The front desk staff is friendly and very knowledgeable. The hotel is located near restaurants, public transportation, water taxi, drugstore, banks, grocery store; so much within walking distance and its across the street from Port Everglades, a very short taxi ride to the cruise ship piers. The rooms are spacious, clean and well maintained. The pool is also very nice. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends; we will most likely return!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We stayed at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel the night before our cruise. It was a beautiful hotel - we loved it! Our room was spotless. The pool area was very nice, and the staff was friendly and helpful. It was just a short cab ride from the airport, cruise port and beach. It was a very pleasant experience, and I would definitely stay there again. If you are looking for a nice hotel to stay at before or after your cruise, this is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Great hotel to stay before or after cruise. Helpful staff, nice buffet breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms.

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

We stayed at the Renaissance for one night before a cruise. It was a quick ride from the airport. The hotel is very nice, spacious rooms. Saw a few splashes on the walls in the bathroom, worn spots in carpet, etc. but I don't let any of that bother me too much. The bed was very hard was my biggest complaint, but it was only for one night and nothing ever beats "your" bed.
We used the club level conceirge club for evening snacks/drinks and for breakfast. Breakfast was OK, but can't complain considering it's included and headed to a cruise ship to eat non-stop for days!
We also used the fitness room. Several nice treadmills and elipitical machines, few free weights. Treadmills have TVs on each one which is always nice.
Directly across the street is a shopping center that had an Italian restaurant which was good, nice to not have to take another taxi. I believe there were several choices as long as you don't mind walking a few blocks. Also had a Walgreens right across the street, good for last minute necessities.
The hotel has a shuttle that we took to the port, it does cost $6 a person. I'm glad we took that over a taxi because I forgot something in the room, we had just arrived in front of our ship, but the shuttle driver took us back to the hotel and back to the ship at no extra charge (we did tip accordingly).
I will definitely be staying here again.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I got a great deal on Priceline (although I would not consider this "downtown" as Priceline does). I definitely did not get a Priceline room but did get a Priceline location across from the elevators but floor was quiet so that was not a problem.

The room was huge and the housekeepers did a nice job of keeping it clean. The bed was very comfortable and there was a nice flat screen TV. There was a large desk with all kind of electronic hookups. The only problem was that the room safe was locked and the maintenance guy couldn't get it open.

I loved the very reasonable room service breakfast. I don't usually do room service but the cost was so good ($10 or so) I decided you couldn't go out to a diner for that price. I got coffee, orange juice, eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast with real dishes and silverware to boot! It was delivered piping hot and right on time every morning.

The location is very good on 17th just before you cross the bridge. I enjoyed catching some football at the lobby bar but didn't get a chance at the pool. Parking for a fee is in a garage next door.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel? Share your experiences!