“SMELLY, DIRTY and full of MOLD!!” 1 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #51 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rhode Island
“SMELLY, DIRTY and full of MOLD!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

Shocked this is a Marriott property! We're not picky and just wanted a clean room and pool to relax by for 1 night pre-cruise and were using a free night voucher. Well, we would not even stay for free! While checking in the staff was rude. My daughter noticed a sign said pool closed? I asked why this was not on the website or we we not notified and was told "I don't know"! They said we could take a cab to another hotel to use another pool!! We still checked in and thought we would make the best of our day and do something else...until we got to our room. It smelled, bad. No towels...don't think it was ready for check-in. I called the front desk to complain (politley) but was told if I was unhappy to call Marriott Rewards and move to another hotel! So, I did just that. When I went to sit to call I stopped very quick as the chair had all white, fuzzy mold on the upohlstry! YUKK!! No wonder the room smelled! (it was on a high floor not ground floor). I was lucky to get another hotel as this ws a holiday week and could not wait to get out of there! I stopped at the desk to get my voucher back and it was just "thrown" at me! I asked if they were getting us a cab as the Rewards dept. had contacted the front desk but she said "NO, your on your own"! We could not get out fast enough! I did read reviews about this property that seemed good but now after the fact I have found some other pics of mold and have been reading there is a new GM who has let this property go straight downhill! What a shame. I have written a letter to Marriott as this is the worst hotel I have ever been in and I would not even let my dog stay! I would rather have slept outside!! The only good thing is we were fortunate to get moved to the brand new CY that just opened and it was fantastic!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rude staff and Filthy!!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
salem
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

Full disclosure - I LOVE the Marriott hotel chains, so I always look for Marriott hotels first when I travel somewhere. And up to now, my loyalty has always been rewarded. But something went horribly wrong here. The quality of service (from management down) was atrocious. I've never seen people work harder to make guests unhappy than here. I shortened my stay as a result. The hotel common areas were not cleaned. (I walked by the same filthy table on five different occasions.) Breakfast in the executive lounge involved a game of "find a clean plate." Overall, a heart-breaking stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed at the hotel pre & post cruise for a total of three nights and had a great experience. Staff very friendly and went of their way to help us arrange a shopping trip to Sawgrass Mills. Our room on both occassions was spotlessly clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. The pool area is kept very well and is very clean. This hotel is in a great location if you are going on on a cruise - just two miles from the cruiseport Plenty of restaurants, shops etc in the area. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
West Central Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

I have read negative reviews on this hotel but I have to say that we are still pleased with this hotel. Great for pre cruise and post cruise stays. This was our second stay at this hotel.

You just can't beat the location, a short cab ride from the airport or the cruise port. There is a Budget rental office in the shopping center across the street, restaurants, grocery, drugstores and liqour stores all within walking distance.

We checked in early post cruise and had no problems with our room. We stayed one night pre cruise and one night post cruise. Room was clean and well furnished. I looked around for the issues others have had but could not find any. We got our rooms on Priceline and had no negative impact with our room. The beds were very comfortable.

We had fellow cruisers who looked at our room post cruise and had stayed at a luxurious hotel pre cruise but made the statement they would rather stay here due to the location.

I like the internet that is available. Only negative I can find is the $15 a day to park your car. Post cruise I was told by Budget just to park our car where the rentals are parked across the street.

We did not use the pool but did take a walk by the pool. All appeared clean and well kept.

All in all a great value for us!

• Liked — Excellent location near cruise port and within walking distance of restaurants and stores.
  • Disliked — Parking fees.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I am wondering if the previous poster stayed at the Renaissance in Plantation. The best thing about this hotel is the pool. It is quite relaxing and there are cabana's by the pool. We camped out there all day long on Friday!! This is the second time we have stayed at this location. The staff was excellant and honored our room request and to be bumped up with an ocean and port view.
There were some drawbacks. I still have to complain about the 15.00 parking fee. It seems they could incorporate this fee into the room fee. The rooms were not as clean as the last time we
stayed. They need to pay more attention to detail. There was a picture that had been splashed all over with some liquid and it was very visible. The bedskirt needed to be changed also and there were stains on the carpet. I feel like a hotel like this needs to keep up with the little things so that they don't become like all the others that we could stay at in Lauderdale.
I will definately be back though. It is far superior to many of the other options!!

Stayed August 2007
Lovettsville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

There are no kabanas at the pool, which is an uninviting concrete slab affair with no trees or shade and that faces a busy six-lane highway. We saw no one using the pool the entire three days we were there. Probably because of the murky water. Also, the beaches are over two miles away. The property is overdue for a renovation and the restaurant is definitely mediocre. The rooms are okay as long as you don't have a sensitivity to mold and you don't mind the fact that housekeeping might not make up your room until late in the afternoon. However, you don't need a wake-up call because housekeeping will wake you promptly at 8 AM with their noise and occasional shouting in the halls. The fact that they were out so early in the morning but hadn't made up our room yet when we returned after lunch was a mystery until the day we checked out. They knocked on our door at 8:15 AM, apparently wanting to prepare the room for the next guest even though check out time was noon. Considering the above, the expense of the room, and the overall industrial feel of the neighborhood, it was far from the best alternative in Fort Lauderdale.

• Liked — Not much.
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Geneva, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

Me and some of my friends needed a last minute place to stay... I found this hotel on hotwire.com for a great rate.... When I arrived at the hotel everyone was sooo nice and welcoming from the bellmen to the front desk staff.... The beds in the rooms were awsome. I have not slept that well in a hotel in a long time..... The pool area was very neat as well... they have cabanas that you can sit in a relax if you dont want to lay in the sun, but there are chairs to lay out on as well.... Over all the hotel totally surpassed my expectations.... I know with Ft lauderdale hotels you have to be careful with when booking online if you have never seen the property before but I would stay here agian in a heartbeat. Highly Highly recoomended.

• Liked — The great staff and pool was awsome
  • Disliked — Least liked? well parking could have been cheaper
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel? Share your experiences!