“nice & well located” 4 of 5 stars

506 SE 16th Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316   |
Tours, France
“nice & well located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I spend 10 days as I was working at the University. the chocolate hostel is very welle located, easy to connect with public transportation. the little flats are nice and I enjoy having a kitchen for everyday life while I was working.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

There's not much to this place. The dryer sucks. There's no breakfast but there is a grill area with a couple picnic tables where everyone hangs out and smokes cigs. Besides that, the nonstop music is really starting to get on my nerves (it plays outside constantly). We are renting an apartment for a month an there's plenty of space, a good kitchen area etc. It's more of a place for people staying a few weeks or more but it works for me. Close to tons of restos and the yachty scene. Tap 42 (cool resto/bar) is nearby as well as Waxy's the Village well and others. Denny's and Boston Market and Dunkin D's nearby...The #40 bus zips you down to the beach. Hey, it is what it is.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We are 2 european, not picky, 27 old year easygoing guys traveling throughout the USA and unfortunately we stayed here. First when we tried to knock the door at the reception (in regular reception hours) we were told to go out and come later. We were bit tired because we traveled from NYC so we slept on chairs next to the dirty pool (plastic bags and hairs in the water) for a while. Later came the receptionist extremely unfriendly with keys and showed us the room. During the first night a big spring from mattress pinched me to the back so I had to change the bed. This please do not do because the day after I told it to the receptionist and he said that it is intolerable me to change the bed (3 more beds empty in the room I am not kidding)and of course without saying any excuse of the broken mattress. Many more unpleasant things happened because of him. We payed whole stay in advance so we did not have opportunity to cancel the rest of our stay (cancellation policy). We try to enjoy as many places as much we can and of course you need some money for that. Beach (really far away) and bars in Fort Lauderdale are awesome but this place cost us money that could have been spent definitely in better way. Please do not stay here.
PS: I think there is working a couple. The girl she is nice and she helps you but the guy he can really destroy your holiday (check the reviews on hostelworld and you will see that we are not alone)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Flekkefjord, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

I like this place, the ones that run it, senor Gonzales and dona Mia are good people. Came here from California. 550 m to Bikram yoga, a great yogastudio run by Pachi Franko. Fine instructors.
He hostel have all that I need for a good buck.
God bless the Chocolate.
Regards from JanO

• Stayed December 2011
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is not what you expect in a hostel. No planed activities, no group meals , BBQ's or pool parties. I booked this in researching it as a place to book for college trips and have found it is a low income rental. Most of the guest are real nice, but in a challaging place in life. There are some that are who are here just to get by and avaliable to sell you what ever you want. It's 11:50 pm and music is blairing from the office for the second night. It would be different if it was a planned activity or after going out party, but not a just couple of guest hanging out drinking and smoking. I had booked for 6 nights but later e-mail back and reduced it to 5, this was before the cancelation time. When i arrived the rate was raised to equal to the six night rarte. I question it and was told the web page is wrong. I decided to deal with it while checking out other locationd. Even at $30. a night it isn't worth it. They are one bed room apartments which could be a great deal but they are dirty and beds and furniture are subpar. Some outlets are not working, globes missing from lamps and hard wired fire detector was missing as was the battery operated one, No screem on the windows with one not locking. There are no private lockers so some one else always has access to you luggage. This will be the last night i stay here, Hopefully the next hosterl will actually be one.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

NEVER AGAIN will I stay here and I strongly recommend you check out another hostel nearby with better service and cheaper pricing. I thought paying more and in a semi-private room would mean a better stay - I was wrong.

I've stayed in hostels all over the world and the country and I promise that you can do better staying elsewhere.

Upon stepping into the room I immediately could smell the cigarette smoke. I'm not sure if someone was recently smoking inside or if it was just a smoke stench that was stuck on the walls and furniture and there to stay. Not being a smoker, I found it very disgusting. Not to mention, I'm allergic to smoke.

I sucked it up for the evening only because I checked in after-hours and it was too late to find another place. I was supposed to stay two evenings but could not stay in a smelly room again so I left the next morning and drove the 4 hours home.

When I called them early in the afternoon with a message and again at lunch time, I was told that they would call me back in a couple days about receiving a refund for the second evening that I did not stay. They didn't call so I tried calling again in a couple days, and then again a couple days after that. Then again. All with no return call and no refund for the second night that I did not stay. It's now been three weeks with no call.

If the hostel was full and they had to decline visitors because of my reservation I would understand not getting my money back for a night that I did not stay there. But they were far from full - there were only three girls out of 8 beds in our one apartment being used.

I would not give such a bad review if it was just a smokey room and a sub-par hostel environment. But being a level-headed person and never talking disrespectively to their employees I felt their treatment and actions in this situation was completely uncalled for and showed me that they don't give a crap about their customer satisfaction and only care about getting the buck.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

The major advantage of this hotel is its location. Only a few minutes (by car) away from the beach and the city centre makes it attractive for young people. The staff gave me a warm welcome and were always happy to help me. The rooms are located in fully equipped apartments (bathroom, kitchen, living room).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Chocolate Five Star Hostel and Crew House? Share your experiences!